1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CDs, vinyls or downloads?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by sam the man, Mar 19, 2015.

1. sam the man

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    (Or something else!) So how do you guys prefer to collect/listen to your music? Personally, I like to collect CDs of albums I particularly like. I just prefer the feeling of having a physical thing that I can lay my hands on and literally explore through, plus the fact that it means that even if I have a bad hardware day, my music will still be there in some form. I also kinda think that a huge shelf stuffed full of CDs is way more impressive to gesture towards and say "so this is my collection..." in an awesome voice than a list of downloads can be :lol:. Tbh I guess I would have a vinyl collection, if it weren't so expensive/vinyls were easier to get hold of.

How do you keep hold of your most treasured music?

2. Rainbows~Exist

For the convenience I'd rather listen to my music on my phone from a download but I do tend to collect the CDs of artists I like :slight_smile: I'd love to collect vinyl but, as you've said, it's expensive and hard to get a hold of. I envy my father's vinyl collection... he has hundreds :/

3. Disappear

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    CDs and vinyls for me, please! I collect cds and just love to go thru the covers and read lyrics. I don't enjoy music the same way if there are only files on my laptop - I somehow can't get into the song if I dont have the physical album.

I have some vinyls too, and I absolutely love them. Last vinyl I bought was Kate Bush and it sounds so much better than when listened on Spotify.

4. sam the man

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I agree about the vinyls, they seem to me a more complete experience than CDs I guess. It kinda makes you feel more... involved, I guess. Maybe it's because there's no tracks, so it gives you more reason to sit down and listen to the whole album, plus they have bigger artwork which is always good :icon_bigg. It is a shame they're not cheaper! I think downloads are definitely the best way practically, so I've also got a lot of downloaded stuff. But if I very much like an album it'll get "promoted" to CD status haha.

5. Lazuri

The fact that vinyls are more rare and more expensive is what makes them collectible.

6. Hizaki

I don't use CDs, vinyl, tapes, or downloads. I use what only the trve and initiated would use...

I only read sheet music! You people are aren't kvlt enough for me!

Downloads, but once I like an album well enough, I buy the CD. Because of this, my CD collection (~40 of them) is very important to me. There's something about having a physical treasure to go along with your mental one. It's probably not for everyone, though I'm sure most understand.

7. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Cd's. I like looking at the pictures in the little booklet and reading the lyrics. It makes me feel like I'm supporting the artist.

8. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I prefer lossless files from CDs or playing vinyls out loud on a stereo. I just don't really do digital downloads anymore. I've become more of an audiophile in recent years :slight_smile:

9. waitwhat

waitwhat Guest

I prefer download because of the simplicity, but I do have a CD and vinyl collection. Well technically they belong to my parents, but I've claimed them as my own.

10. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My preference is for the vinyl LP. Part of this is performance--I find it has the potential for better sound quality than CD. One does need, however, a good turntable, which is not cheap. I also like how cheap used LPs can be. Locally, they are 99 cents at Goodwill and usually a quarter at the on-going Friends sale at the library. However, the condition can be, er, challenging. A local audio dealer is more expensive, but does have a selection at $5/under. Everything they sell is clean.

I have some interest in CD, since I'm seeing more good deals used. At one time, my CD usage was mostly A) CDs checked out from the library or B) something I really wanted. But prices have dipped low enough some places that I'm acquiring more CDs that are of interest, but not something I'd have bought on CD at one time. The problem, though, is that my CD playback equipment is...er...limited.

As for downloads, I have little interest in MP3. But I am interested in the possibility of CD quality--or better--downloads.

11. Foz

Foz Guest

I've got a few vinyls, but I've bought almost all of them off ebay, considering an Armin Van Buuren single is like £11 on vinyl it can get expensive very quickly! I mostly download as everything as it's just easier, I sometimes buy CDs off Amazon used as I can get a 3CD album for like 70p posted.

12. Centore

Centore Guest

I prefer downloads. I can sort them, move them, and listen to them faster than I could with CDs or vinyls. Though, I am somewhat addicted to computers, so that may affect it.

13. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

I use YouTube. Downloads take up memory space, and I don't have a computer to put hundreds of songs in.

I also use cassette tapes, the player was cheap, it's convenient and portable, you can make your own mix tapes, and has a retro vibe to it. Plus it's more stable than YouTube (I've had great songs be deleted only for me to never find them again).

14. kem

kem

All of them. Vinyl, CD, AAC. Streaming services.

15. Images and Words

Any. I don't care. I love all types of music. However, for ease of distribution, I would say that downloads are probably my favorite. As someone who listens to a lot of "underground" music, I love downloads, because it makes it SO much easier to discover musical artists.

16. Vinyl

Well... I think my name pretty much says it all for me~

17. Images and Words

it really does. I could always tell you liked CDs

18. Steam Mecha

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    All of my music is on CDs, I want to start collecting vinyls and tapes. And screw downloading!

19. timo

Vinyl for the things I absolutely love, and mp3s for every other song I like/slightly appreciate/consider a guilty pleasure.

20. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Well, right now all my music has to be digital, FLAC for my most beloved songs, and ogg for the rest. I don't have the time nor the place to care about a decent hi-fi system right now.

One day I plan to start a vinyl collection. The sound seems warmer to me, and the cracks and pops add charm to most of the music I listen to, which was conceived back then, so it's the closest I can get to "the real thing".

I grew up with casettes, and they were ok... Better than the first cd players, which didn't came with a decent "anti-shock" system... Mp3 players seem soulless to me, devices made to "consume" music. It's easier to skip tracks, which makes easier to skip good songs just because you are not patient enough to listen to it.