1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Horror Movies

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by LesbianAngel, Mar 21, 2015.

1. LesbianAngel

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I am going onto Netflix to watch a horror movie marathon. I have already seen all the Saw movies and now I am about to watch The Human Centipede. Anybody got a suggestion for what I should watch?

2. wolf of fire

I recommend a nightmare on elm street or Halloween.

3. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Watch the dead girl on YouTube.

4. LesbianAngel

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Wolf of fire, I love the nightmare on elm street movies! They have got to be my absolute favorite! I will watch the Halloween movies. And Andrew, I'll check out The Dead Girl. Thank you!

5. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

What kind of Horror are you looking for? There tends to be three branches:

Gore.
    Suspense.
    Thrill.

If you're into a bloody mess, then here's some of the goriest:

Cannibal Holocaust: It is graphic, very graphic. It takes no pity on decency, and aims to offend on every level. There's something in this film to upset anybody, be it the mutilation of animals or the depictions of rape and torture.

I Spit On Your Grave: There's the original 1970s film, and a remake in 2010. I haven't seen the 2010 version, but the 1970s film is horrific. Woman gets brutally raped, and then takes revenge on her rapists, in the most gruesome ways.

Re-Animator: Unlike the first two, this one is more of a really dark black comedy. There's gore, yes, but it isn't at the forefront. Scientific experiments formula, here, really, which involves, you guessed it, messing with the dead.

If you're into suspense, or the big build up, here's some acceptable options:

Alien: Alien life form runs around and stalks an interstellar ship and it's crew, dwindling their numbers down, one by one. It's a perfect blend of Horror and Science-Fiction, which is one reason why I like this one so much. Also, spacing out the alien's appearances, is a nice touch.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre: There's the 1970s version, and then the 2003 remake. Both of them have their pros and cons, but I side with the 1970s version, simply for the fact the camera style gives it an amateur feel, as if you are actually watching this happen. There's a lot of build up to certain scenes, certain scenes happen, and then you go back into build-up mode.

Night of the Living Dead: There's the 1960s black and white version, and the 1990s remake. Both of them are similar in premise, but differ in character presentation, with the most notable difference being the character of Barbara, who in the 1960s version is practically useless, while in the 1990s remake she's useful. The whole build up to what is going on in the world, and the interactions with the besieged cast, makes for an interesting watch.

If you're into thrillers, always being on edge, here's some of the most tense films:

Jaws: You never really get to see the shark, until closer to the second half of the film, and that's what works. It leaves your imagination to do the work, which is what makes the scenes with the shark much more effective. It's also just a fine movie.

Misery: Based on the Stephen King novel. Imagine being trapped in the home of your most obsessive fan, who would do anything to keep you to themselves. It's a movie that, once the two characters -- author and fan -- meet, it never really stops.

Seven: Serial killer uses the Seven Deadly Sins as his modus operandi, a.k.a. their style of killing. It leans more into a criminal movie, but there are elements of Horror to it. Also, having Morgan Freeman is never a bad deal.

6. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

I have a thing for Alien films so theres Signs, The Fourth Kind, Alien abduction and Dark skies which are all quite creepy, if you're interested in that kind of stuff.

There are plenty of ghost/demon films too like Paranormal activity, Insidious and The Conjuring which all scared me a bit.

7. LesbianAngel

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Kaiser, thank you so much for your suggestions. I have always wanted to see the movie Cannibal Holocaust but sadly, I am not able to watch it because I have no way to find it. I will watch those movies you have suggested.

8. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

You aren't missing much with Cannibal Holocaust.

The hype that film has, really does hurt the viewing experience. That doesn't take too much away from it, it's a horribly offensive and ghastly film still, but the hype makes you expect 'just a little bit more'.

One interestingly tragic fact is, the animal deaths in that film, are actually real. They really did kill a turtle and monkey, among other things, because at the time it was legal to do so. The human torture and rape scenes are not real, but the cast had to convince an Italian court, that it wasn't real, because it was very hard to tell. It didn't help that the animal deaths, again, were real.

That film simply exists to offend. Though, there is a message to it, which most overlook: that humanity is the real evil. It just goes about enforcing that message in brazen and horrific ways.

9. fragileflame

I'm not sure if this counts as horror film seeing as it's not scary...but The Silence of the Lambs is an all time favorite of mine! I also suggest Children of the Corn...its slightly scary

10. LakanLunti

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I watched all of these (except Re-Animator and Seven)! I must say, Cannibal Holocaust is REALLY good! And the remake version or I Spit On Your Grave is nothing compared to the original, it is still tho.

Try watching some Asian horror movies like The Ring, The Grudge, One Missed Call, and Coming Soon. They have different approach on horror as compared to how Americans do it. Those movies I suggested gave me uncomfortable nights. :grin: They are good!

11. CuriousLiaison

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Great post from Kaiser. A couple of others I would add include The Babadook, which came out last year, The Shining is a favourite, Drag Me To Hell is a lot of fun, as is Braindead. I enjoyed It Follows recently, which might have now dropped out of the cinemas, but is worth checking out. The Others is a pretty nice creepy one as well.

And when you've seen a few horror films to know the tropes and clichés, particularly films like Texas Chain Saw Massacre, Evil Dead I & II, and maybe a few others like Cabin Fever (otherwise a film not worth going out of your way for), watch The Cabin in the Woods, a brilliant deconstruction of the genre by Joss Whedon. I'd avoid the trailer for that as I think it gives too much away.

I have for years said that only three films have genuinely frightened me, and only one was a horror. That was Alien, which I saw when I was about 12. The others were Requiem for a Dream and Threads. I still feel scarred by Threads.

---------- Post added 21st Mar 2015 at 10:07 PM ----------

Oh, sorry, I missed out what is possibly my favourite horror, the 1982 version of The Thing. And while I'm here I'll also add the 1986 version of The Fly.

12. C P

C P

I have to second Halloween(the original 1978 film). It truly is a classic. Even the original Halloween 2 I'd recommend; both of those are great.

As for something recent, I'd recommend The Conjuring, if you like some of those jump-scare type suspense ones. I loved it(saw it in theaters actually).

13. MisterTinkles

Probably the BEST revenge movie EVER!!! I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE revenge movies!!!!

The "Directors Cut"/original version of this movie has an extremely LOOOONG, dragged out rape scene in it. So, if that is not something you want to see, then don't. If you think you can stomach it, then watch it. I LOVE how this woman gets back at these rednecked jackasses!!!!!

I have seen the remake of this movie as well, and I can say it is justified as it's own piece of work. I haven't seen the second one though. The remake does have some new twists though, which makes it worth watching.

Not really a horror movie as you would know it...........but The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane, with a young Jody Foster, is really good.

Don't Be Afraid of The Dark.....a TV horror movie from the 70's. More creepy than horrific. I thought it was a bit on the funny side myself. I'm sure the special effects are hysterical nowadays.

There was a horror movie for TV back in the 70's I liked a lot. I don't remember the name of it, but this woman lived out in the desert and killed her roomies for money, then buried them in the front yard. I can never remember the name of this movie!!!! ARGH!!!

The Craft is a witch movie, more on the horror side of things.

The ONLY horror/scary movie that ever gave me a sleepless night was American Werewolf in London. I think this was the first movie to use animatronic/robotic figures for special effects.
    Scared the sh*t outta me!!!

#13 MisterTinkles, Mar 21, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  14. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

If we're busting out the classics, here's my take:

A Nightmare on Elm Street series
    A Nightmare on Elm Street: A decent film, but it has not aged well in terms of sound. I find a lot of the scenes to be "ruined" by the music, which seems to just dominate any other sound. I'm not sure if this is intentional or sound transfer, but it is really noticeable, especially in the scene where Krueger stalks Nancy, after she falls asleep in class. Other than that, it's worth watching.

Favorite Line/Moment: "We don't need a stretcher -- we need a mop."

Said, by a cop mind you, in reference to one character's demise.

---

A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge: I hate this film. While I understand it was made before the "mechanics" of Freddy Krueger were established, it still feels weak. It has one good part, which happens to be...

Favorite Line/Moment: "You've got the body, I've got the brains."

---

A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: The Dream Warriors: The best of the sequels, I believe. It's an interesting concept, too. However, some of the music feels really outdated and distracting, especially during the "puppet death" scene. Ironically, that scene is...

Favorite Line/Moment: Philip being turned into a marionette, then walked to his death. A very close second is the whole Wizard Master bit, that's just LOLzy and mean.

---

A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master: My personal favorite, but for somewhat biased reasons. The special effects are the main selling point here, and not the acting. The whole quicksand scene is just... awkward... I don't know if Kristen is supposed to be struggling or having an orgasm.

Favorite Line/Moment:
    Kristen: We beat you before!
    Freddy: And now you're allllll alllllone~!

It's such a childishly dick-thing to say.

And a close second is Kincaid, after pushing a car on top of Freddy, when he says, "YEEEEEAAAAAH~! TAKE. THAT. MOTHAFUCKA! WOOO~!!!", his voice is hysterically high.

---

A Nightmare on Elm Street 5: The Dream Child: My second least favorite of the series. The way Freddy returns is insanely difficult to explain (and this is coming from a pretty hardcore Elm Street fan), if even possible. However, the abortion subplot is pretty ballsy, and for that I can't be too harsh on it. The film isn't scary really, but the special effects are worth checking out.

Favorite Line/Moment: The "comic book death". It's all so over the top and ridiculous, but by this point in the series, it's hard to come off as scary anymore.

---

Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare: Not scary, but entertaining. The fact Freddy has succeeded two times in his goals (first goal was to kill the children of the parents who killed him, which he does in 4, and the second goal is to kill all of the children of Springwood, the city he terrorized, which he does, except for one, sometime, between 5 and Freddy's Dead), is interesting. Also, this film explores Freddy's back story, more so than the other films.

Favorite Line/Moment: Spencer's video game death, beginning with the Johnny Depp anti-drug cameo. Absolutely amazing, but oh so stupid, LOL.

---

Wes Craven's New Nightmare: Decent, I suppose, but this film always bored me. It's still better than 2... unless you're high/drunk, then suddenly, 2 becomes hilariously bad.

Favorite Line/Moment: When the Krueger claw-hand stabs a guy in the groin. Like, that's mean, even for a burned maniac.

---

Friday the 13th series
    Friday the 13th: Nothing special, really. The film's strongest selling point has long since been eroded by time and spoilers. But it's still worth checking out.

Favorite Line/Moment: When a body comes crashing through a window, and a few moments later Pamela is found, as if implying she hurled this big-ass body, then threw it through a window, and ran back to her jeep to meet the last girl. It's so hilarious to me.

---

Friday the 13th, Part 2: More or less the same as the original, with one big difference. Honestly, I find Jason scarier here, because he has that sack as opposed to the hockey mask.

Favorite Line/Moment: The sole survivor vs Jason, in a battle of stamina and wits. The scene where he "tricks" her to peek her head out, from under the bed, because he knows she's there, in particular, is well done.

---

Friday the 13th, Part 3D: If you can watch this in 3D, please, do so. Anyway, this and 4 are my favorites of the entire series. Not only does Jason obtain his hockey mask, but he runs, too. Yeah, that's kind of frightening, as compared to the whole teleport-walking-thing he becomes known for, later on.

Favorite Line/Moment: When the teenagers think their van is on fire, but really, it's just two hippies in the back, smoking weed.

---

Friday the 13th, Part 4: The Final Chapter: It begins immediately where 3 leaves off, making it feel like the same movie. Jason is a lot more aggressive in this one, which makes sense. He's probably tired of people trespassing on his property, and getting beat up.

Favorite Line/Moment: It's a very quick scene, but when Jason is hit with the backside of a hammer, he staggers a bit. He pulls this hammer out and throws it, attempting to hit somebody but fails. The act itself isn't so funny, it's how he comes off doing it, like he's saying, "Bitch, that fuckin' hurt!"

---

Friday the 13th, Part 5: A New Beginning: Not a bad film, but nothing spectacular. I like the fact they explore Tommy some here, and the new setting isn't bad. I could deal without the redneck mother and son, though.

Favorite Line/Moment: When "Jason" shoves a road flare into somebody's mouth. It's just... uncalled for, but sadistically hilarious.

---

Friday the 13th, Part 6: Jason Lives: The series goes back to the campground setting, which is fine. This is also the film where Jason becomes the undead monster, that most of pop culture knows him as. Alice Cooper did a song for the soundtrack, so, that's pretty damn awesome.

Favorite Line/Moment: The paintball fiasco. It is so random.

---

Friday the 13th, Part 7: The New Blood: Jason looks his best here, but that's about where the praise stops. While I understand a lot was edited and cut out, due to pressure from the MPAA, it's still a fairly weak film. But it is also one where Jason is pretty damn straight forward and ruthless, so I'm torn on how I actually feel about it.

Favorite Line/Moment: I have two, because both of them are LOL-WTF.

The first is when Jason stabs somebody in the eye, with a party horn. And the second is, when the rich snobby girl opens the door, there's Jason with an axe for her face. It isn't so much the act that is amusing, it's just the sudden response from Jason. It could have been anybody that stepped outside, and what makes it more bizarre is, it's implied he was standing there the entire time, instead of barging in.

---

Friday the 13th, Part 8: Jason Takes Manhattan: Despite the title, most of it takes place on a boat. But the New York scenes are amusing, in fact, this film isn't that great as a whole, but in individual scenes, there are many worthy ones. Interestingly, Jason is temporarily a good guy, when he stops a bunch of hooligans from raping somebody... of course, he wants to kill the one they were raping, but it goes to show, Jason may be a deranged maniac, but even he hates rape.

Favorite Line/Moment:
    [YOUTUBE]Obtc9U6hEYM[/YOUTUBE]

Just... LOL.

---

Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday: I don't even know where to begin with this one. The opening is fine, but after that, it really turns to shit. The ending is worth seeing, because you get to see a certain infamous glove grabbing Jason's hockey mask.

Favorite Line/Moment: The final shot, where Jason's mask is pulled down. It was a wet dream for Horror fans to see that, back in the day.

---

Jason X: Horrible movie. Except for two scenes, the first being when he smashes that one woman's frozen face, because it reminds me of the brutality of some of the earlier films. The second scene is when the film takes a shot at itself, and places Jason in a painful parody of what the Friday the 13th series had become known for. It's a sad reminder of what the films became, but it's also an amusing little throwback.

Favorite Line/Moment: Either of the two scenes I mentioned above.

---

Freddy vs Jason: Not so much a Horror as it is a fanfiction come to life. There are certain elements I like of this film, and others I do not. For one, why is Jason afraid of water? The motherfucker waded through water before, with no problem. I've heard it explained it was symbolism, psychological, and I could maybe buy that. I couldn't stand the human cast, which is bad, because I at least liked some of the stock characters, from earlier films.

Favorite Line/Moment: When Freddy toys with Jason in the Dream World, and especially when he "pinballs" Jason around.

---

Halloween series
    Halloween: Just watch it. It can feel a little slow at times, but it picks up.

Favorite Line/Moment: When Laurie jams the clothes hanger into Michael's eye. It's such a desperate and dick move to do, LOL. A close second would be the "sheet disguise" with the glasses scene.

---

Halloween II: Not the worst in the series, but it's a little too long for me. It picks up immediately after the first film, so it comes off as one film.

Favorite Line/Moment: When Dr. Loomis fucks Michael Myers up.

---

Halloween III: Season of the Witch: Many folks don't like this film, since it doesn't have Michael Myers in it (technically it does, but... we'll get to that). Originally, the Halloween films were supposed to be stand alone tales, but money changed that. However, the studio felt they had wrapped up the Michael Myers story, and went with the original story route. Some folks liked that, others didn't. Me, personally, it's an okay film, and has to do with evil spirits trying to ruin Halloween. Nothing special.

Favorite Line/Moment: The brief moment when, in the background on the television, you see scenes of the first Halloween playing.

---

Halloween 4: The Return of Michael Myers: Probably the best sequel, in my opinion. That said, the mask of Michael Myers looks really lame. Michael Myers returns, tracks down his niece, Dr. Loomis returns, and... there you have it. Oh, and there's rednecks with guns and trucks.

Favorite Line/Moment: When Michael Myers rams his THUMB into a guy's forehead. The sheer ridiculousness of that is what amuses me.

---

Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers: This is not a very good movie, but it immediately picks up after 4, so it feels like one film. The mask here looks questionably worse, though. It's more of the same, though the town, finally, seems ready for Michael Myers. It just took them 4 God damn films.

Favorite Line/Moment: When Michael's niece gets him to take his mask off, and you see a tear drop. It leaves one to ponder a lot, and that's why I like it.

---

Halloween 6: The Curse of Michael Myers: There's two versions of this film. The Producer's Cut and the theatrical cut, which changes a few things and plot points. Having seen both, they both have pros and cons. This film really dives into the history of Michael Myers, revealing he's a puppet for a cult. This would be Dr. Loomis's last appearance, as the actor died.

Favorite Line/Moment: When the cult members, thinking they can just control Michael Myers, are decimated by a pissed off masked man.

---

Halloween H20: This film picks up after Part II, ignoring III-VI. It takes place at a university, so that's new. It's been 20 years and Michael Myers is back. It attempts to go back to it's simple stalk and kill roots, which is fine.

Favorite Line/Moment: The final moments between Michael and his sister.

---

Halloween Resurrection: Michael Myers house + webcams + teenagers = total fuckin' disaster. Looks-wise, the film isn't bad, and comes off rather dark and gritty. But that's about all the praise I have for it.

Favorite Line/Moment:
    [YOUTUBE]cJ7IK9cY4D0[/YOUTUBE]

And he just walks away! Like, WTF? LOL!

#14 Kaiser, Mar 21, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  15. MisterTinkles

Love the Freddie Kreuger character, but the films themselves have turned into a bad B movie series. Although still watchable, they aren't as fun as they were back in the 80's/90's.

Friday the 13th and Halloween.
    Two crazy lunatics going around stabbing people. YAWN
    Bored me to death after the first 5 minutes....never watched them again.
    Although I did watch Halloween: Season of the Witch, which was a complete dud.

Jeepers Creepers 2 was watchable.

But the BEST, and I mean THE BEST horror movie of all time for me, is ............

[​IMG]

"Run rabbit! RUN"!!

16. Formality

Alien and the sequel Aliens are really good sci-fi/horror films.
    The original Texas Chainsaw Massacre is one of my all time favourite and it has some really creepy atmosphere. Just don't watch the remakes please.
    I'm a big fan of found footage since I first saw The Blair Witch Project. So if you're into that "genre" I'd suggest "Rec" a spanish found footage movie about a zombie virus. Or "The Tunnel" which is an Australian movie, quite unknown. It's one of my favourite horror movies. It is about a team of 4 journalists who venture into the Sydney sewer system to investigate why a recent water reserve project was cancelled by the government.
    There's also the original Janpanese "Ringu" (the ring). It was one of the first horror movies I watched and it's really worth a watch if you haven't already seen it. Don't watch the american remake it isn't nearly as good.

17. Steele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Some of my suggestions:

Silence of the Lambs
    The Shining
    Alien
    Paranormal Activity
    Nosferatu

18. I'm so surprised no one has mentioned The Exorcist - as in the original one from the 70s. Even though it used to be terrifying way back when, it's tame by current standards, but there are still a few moments that are pretty disturbing. Let's just say I have never looked at a crucifix the same way since.

19. LaEsmeralda

Asians do horror the best -

Ju On the Grudge, Ringu 1 and 2, Kairo (all Japan)
    The Eye (Hong Kong)
    A Tale of Two Sisters (South Korea)

In regards to Western horrors, Babadook stands out as a very intelligent, beautifully acted piece. If you want something a bit trashier, The Cube and Ghost Ship are always good watches.

20. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Pet Cemetery
    Psycho (the original)
    Twilight Zone
    The Shinning (I'm surprised nobody mentioned it yet)
    The Exorcist.
    American Psycho.
    The fly (1986)
    Alien
    Poltergeist.

#20 Michael, Mar 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2015