1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Things you would have made differently if you were the author

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by randomly me, Mar 26, 2015.

1. randomly me

randomly me Guest

Since I'm the kind of person that ends up screaming at the screen or a book and then stops watching for a few minutes if something stupid happens i wanted to ask:

Is there any anime/book/comic where you'd like to change anything (doesn't matter if it would change the outcome of events or not)certain scenes or characters..

If so what anime /book/comic/whatever?what would you like to change?and most importantly why?

Feel free to rant.

2. Aeolia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Death Note...
    I would have made Raito win in Death Note, the way he got caught is so ridiculous... It's was supposedly a duel between the two most clever men on Earth. Then it became Raito Vs Mello and Near... He should have killed them and become the world of the New World.

And also I would have make him fuck with L at least once when they were bound together day and night.

3. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    Let's see...

Graphic Novel:

V for Vendetta: V would have faked his own death. He'd return to lead the revolution in the new world he had started rather than leave the job up to Evie, whom is really only doing so because he effectively brainwashed her into following his ideal. Oh also Evie would give him a hard kick in the nuts (regarding said brainwashing).

Books:

Tommyknockers: Could have been significantly reduced in length. I actually love the story and it's one of my favourite S.King novels, and I understand he loves to expand upon every character which it does well, but my GOD does it go on! Seriously this books size is doorstop worthy lol.

Hannibal: Lecter and Clarice Starling would not have ended up together. Or at the very least they would have been together for a while before Clarice came to her senses, it was just totally out of character for her to give up her morals unless we assume that Lecter has suddenly decided to stop killing and/or eating people. However this is assuming there will not be another book in the series despite the prequel, given how long Thomas Harris tends to leave between books it is perfectly possible that we haven't heard the end yet. However if there ever is a sequel this too causes a problem; because the film version fucked the ending up even more with their story. On the one hand; Clarice stays in character in the film version, on the other hand;... well there is no 'other hand', because Lecter went and chopped his off. And that is going to really affect the continuity should they end up doing another, again unless we assume that he somehow stitched it back on himself (I mean he is a doctor but still, one handed?!)

Fifty Shades of Gray series Would not have happened. At all. In the history of ever.

Television:

The X Files: I was a big fan of The X Files, but towards the end a few things could have been handled better. Scully would not have given their baby away for adoption to keep him safe, or they would have got him back shortly after. And no I'm not being sentimental; it was just a fucking stupid thing to do. In a fictional world where it had been well established that your enemies will find you wherever you hide and that the confidentially of official records doesn't mean shit, sending your son away to live with total strangers where you have no way of knowing when (not if) those enemies will eventually find him just makes no sense if the intention was 'to keep him safe'.

Also the way the relationship was played out between Mulder and Scully just got silly. For years the fans, specifically the shippers, had been speculating on whether or not the two would get together. Show creator Chris Carter said he would never jeopardise the character's friendship by doing that. I would have been fine with it either way personally. But instead of being straight forward about it, you had Scully walking around pregnant with a baby we all knew was Mulder's but she refused to say it, and a few flashbacks which reference their failed attempts at IVF and (supposedly) her sneaking off after their one night stand. I get that it was implied that she couldn't admit it due to possible enemies listening in, but even after the baby was born (ie the living breathing dna evidence, so no point in hiding it anymore) they just very vaguely implied that they had, in fact, had sex, and shared a chaste kiss. I wasn't one of the fans who was expecting some big steamy sex scene or anything, but the characters are two grown adults. How prudish do you need to be if you can't even verbally admit "HEY! WE DONE SOME INTERCOURSE OK!"?!

Film:

The Silent Hill movie adaptations would have been true to the story in the games. And SH2 would have made a much better narrative in film form.

Addams Family Reunion: Again; this no exist in TigerInATophat's world.

I could mention more, but I'll leave it there for now.

#3 TigerInATophat, Mar 26, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  4. Lazuri

I would have changed Mass Effect 3 to have the original ending regarding dark energy, instead of the jumbled mess we got.

5. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The entirety of the last Harry Potter book. When is the train wreck that's out already going to be called out as a fanfic and have the real conclusion take its place? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    War and Peace would not end in reducing Natasha to a characterless mother in a dull homily on the role of women.

7. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I wouldn't have made so many people die in the 7th Harry Potter book. Seems like it was just dramatic for the sake of dramatic.

8. Lazuri

No, it was war. People die in wars and expecting something else would be naive and unrealistic. Rowling knew this and killed a lot of characters she liked because not doing it would have made the final battle less important and severe than it actually was.

9. LaEsmeralda

I'd have removed the epilogue from the end of Harry Potter and scrapped the entire third X-men film (Last Stand).

10. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wicked Spoiler:

I would change Wicked so that Elphaba never dies and Gelphie happens. :grin:

11. Aro

Aro

As some people have mentioned already, I would also change the final Harry Potter book. I've gone to length in explaining why previously. I would have killed Harry. All of the books seemed to have been leading up to that conclusion since it was stated that one could not exist without the other. Having Harry die and then bringing him back to life was a complete cop-out. He should have killed Voldemort and died with him, saving the world. I was very disappointed. As much as I loved his character, he should have died. And stayed dead. It would have been the perfect ending. I honestly think it was what was planned, but with the age group and how many young lives it would have effected, she changed it. Because in an interview before the final book came out, she said that the final book would contain a death that would be the most painful thing she had written. And unless she meant the Weaslies and such, I really think it was her intention to kill Harry. What other character was so close to her that she would say something like that and almost tear up on camera while shaking her head?

Disappointed, anyways. I would also cut out some of the traveling scenes. I felt like it was travel, hide, oh no Harry is in pain- rinse and repeat. I was very bored until the second half of the book, honestly. One can only read so much 'oh no what are we going to do' before it's stale.

12. Lazuri

I would have killed Harry too. I'm a fan of bittersweet endings, but nobody else seems to be.

13. Aro

Aro

Good to know someone else is on my side with it. He just needed to die! I would have even been happier if they didn't end with a flash forward and those super ridiculous names for all of their children and the picture-perfect weirdly fanfiction ending, as Argentwing already said. I totally thought the same thing when I was reading through it.

14. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - The majority of the book was really good however the ending felt rushed to me. The ending was ok but a few things were just left short.

A song of Ice and Fire - Brilliant set of books however I would have made Feast for Crows and Dance with Dragons into one book (I think he originally wanted to do this). I Personally disliked how he separted them. I dont like how after I finish Feast for Crows the timeline starts again with Dance with Dragons but with a different set of characters.

#14 JackAttack, Mar 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  15. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Off the top of my head...

Dragon Ball/Z:
    The series would have ended with the defeat of King Piccolo. But if I had to expand it, into what most refer to as 'Dragon Ball Z', it would have ended with the defeat of Frieza. Goku learning about his heritage through Vegeta, and coming to his own terms with it, as well as avenging the Saiyajin genocide, by becoming their warrior of legend, is perfect.

Naruto:
    Either end it with the end of Zabuza and Haku arc, or allow it to continue until Sasuke decides to seek out Orochimaru, and the others give chase. The series should have concluded at one or the other. After this, especially in Shippuden, it really started to become what later DBZ did, flashy and overpowered techniques.

The Earthsea series:
    A book series that, originally, was a trilogy. Later a fourth was added, then some side-stories in the same universe. I don't mind the side-stories, but I'm on the fence about the fourth book. I understand why people like it, but it kills the ending, for me, that happened in the third book. I'd end it with book three, and maybe dwell into side-stories, possibly featuring the main cast.

This series is sometimes cited as a comparison piece to Harry Potter, since it came decades before J. K. Rowling's books, and deals with a young boy going to a school for wizards.

The Spectacular Spiderman:
    Originally, I'd see this on television, but paid no real attention to it, as it was background entertainment mostly. It just didn't seem to be anything special, until, I saw this. If that fight scene was done in live-action, it'd be an awesome watch, though it still is amazing from an animation perspective.

I gave this series a chance and, I was surprised at it. Sure, some of the dialogue is questionable at times, considering the primary demographic, but it was nice to see a series that focused more on Gwen Stacy (who I like more than Mary Jane). If I could made things different, I'd have allowed this series to continue. It was canceled too quickly.

Hogan's Heroes:
    A proper finale. The closest we ever got was when, the POWs, tricked their German counterparts into believing the Second World War had ended. Despite the show being a comedy with light elements of drama, it was enjoyable-enough that, I feel, it warrants a proper send off. Not some randomly produced episode.

Some kind of epilogue. Though the comics did address this, it would have been nice to see it done, in animated form. I'd change some dynamics of Azula's final fight, mostly due to how she was taken down; it came out of the blue. Which makes sense, as Azula had been built up to be almost too effective, and the creators had backed themselves into a what-would-be-believable corner.

Aliens:
    Hudson and Vasquez survive, or at least one of them.

Danger 5:
    End it at Season One. Season Two, while it has moments, loses much of it's amusement due to the going from 1960s World War II (don't ask, just go with it) to 1980s pop culture. It was at it's best, when they were stopping ridiculous Nazi plots (dinosaur soldiers, giant robots, golden guns that automatically fire, Axis-inducing STDs, etc) to rule the world and, always trying, to "kill Hitler"; and not so much on trying to be bizarrely funny.

16. randomly me

randomly me Guest

since i started this thread i might as well rant around a bit myself
    those aren't things i'm totally upset about just what came to my head first

Deathnote

The espected first

point one Misa.If you look at her first few actions after her appearence you'll see that she's actually clever (not a genius like light or L but still...) but once she sets eyes on light all that suddenly vanishes.Why am i so annoyed by this?because she could have been an interesting character and could have given a great plot development since she is superior to light due to her shinigami eyes (even if light and her were still on the same side and had contact it would have been more interesting like that.
    aside from her the view on woman on the show in general is just ugh.(and don't even get me started on takada being forced to commit suicide through burning herself after being as loyal to light as to keep writing names in the deathnote while being scared for her life and naked)

second (of corse) the complete second part of the show.What made the show interesting was the whole "what exactly is justice?" thing as well as the characters.The first one was kinda left behind because light killing criminals became a side thing and we only saw him killing good guys actively which made his character a little unsympatic towards the end.And while near mello matt and the rest were totally cool (i just love Mikami) you only get little insight and there isn't the close interaction that light and L had (also their similar thinking ways that made things more interesting).The most character development actually goes to matsuda and aizawa.

Harry Potter

a lot was said.i mostly didn't like how she killed her characters on the side lines like "oh and by the way that guy is dead now"

You're just angry because she killed Remus Lupin

ok fine i admit it i may be a bit biased, but seriously using "that character survived earlier so i'll kill the other one later to make up for it" arguments?
    besides the chara she cried about has to be Lupin.No one will ever convince me otherwise.(I'm hopeless)

Marvel Movies

You don't really think we're still surprised if a character somehow survives .I mean once or twice is ok...but it's getting boring...

Supernatural

same.At least the characters here actually die.but still we got it...they'll be revived anyway so why make a drama out of it?

oh and the first few seasons where absolutely predictable ( i still like them though)

D.Gray man
    You know...i actually wanted to know how it ends.(get your things together and go back to writing Hoshino!)

Soul Eater

The Anime is ok in itself but the ending just ruined all the characters and broke with personalitys...:bang::bang::bang: (yeah the anime ends after about a half of the manga)

Dragon ball (Z)

About every character that is human or female get's left behind and becomes unimportant.:dry:

Teen Titans

They made beast boy red.Need i say more?

The Hobbit

Apart from certain Animals appearing without explanation when needed my main issue is Smaug.He's shown as very intelligent in the books with arrogance being his downfall.Not that the movie hasn't shown that but..i would have liked a little bit more of him and a little less battle.Because he's a fucking interesting character.

The dark knight movies

Would have never happened.Too far away from the comic.The actors are great though.

Homestuck

Pale Gamkar shipper here.

goes into a corner and cries :tears:

Angel Sanctuary

first i would have prefered a more bitter sweet ending but the autor said herself that she wanted to do one too but stopped herself for the readers.

i still would have loved to see what happened to Kato.Yeah i know he's been reborn but i'd like to see where expecially since the home he grew up in was so fucked up.He deserves a nice loving family for once maybe with Lucifer as his personal guardian angel (ok i'm being overly fluffy unicorns now but you've got to admit that these two were cute together)

After school Nightmare

great manga but the repeating of "but i'm a man so i can't do that and that"from mashiro and sous constant "you're a woman because i fell in love with you and i'm not gay" is getting annoying after some time.

The perks of being a wallflower
    You didn't really think i was going to critizise anything here.go watch that movie.it's perfection.

now to a little bit more unknown ones-feel free to ignore

Please save my Earth

I really really love it.But Jinpachi made it hard at times to be likable (expecially since i'm a big rin fan)

oh and the anime fucked everything up.PSME lives from it's great characters and their conflicts with their previous lives.The anime didn't have anything of the deepness and potential these characters posess.

Mad love chase

Yamato was at times a little inactive for being the protagonist and all (but i really liked all the characters Taiki and Rebun are just too cute together,souya is funny and i just love toma)

i'm also the only person on this planet that ships Kaito and Toma...

Stormwatch

loved these bastards in Wildstorm but DC just royally fucked them up with the new 52

A Presto

3 volumes is way too short for such an awesome series.

and last but not least
    Charlie Bone

A certain character doesn't reappear again after turning good and then being saved.-.- I'll just punch the nearest wall now...

17. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    No sex between Mulder and Scully. EVER. :eusa_naug

That's the reason why I stoped watching the X Files.

I was fine with all the weirdness there : Conspiracies, aliens... But the main characters having a baby... That's way too much.

What's that damned trash got to do with The X files?!!! There is a gazillion "series" out there if you are into that sort of thing...

18. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    GI Joe

Ripcord and Scarlett. :/ I dunno, it's not that I don't like them as a couple, it's just that I feel like a huge part of Scarlett's story was about how she was a hero, too, not just a love interest for Ripcord, and then at the end, they're just like 'oh, well, she just so happened to end up ith the hero, but that's not because she's just a love interest or anything'

19. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    God so much. I've quit watching quite a few shows over the past few months because I couldn't handle them anymore.

Arrow
    Sara would still be alive. Oliver and Felicity would be together forever because Oliver wouldn't be such a damn martyr all the time and she wouldn't be with that stupid stalker.

Harry Potter
    I have to disagree with the "Harry Potter should be dead" camp (you're not alone, my roommate thinks he should have died too) in that I didn't want Harry to die, but I would like to bring back Remus and Tonks. And Fred. They were finally HAPPY and she just went and killed them. I'd also like to change Albus's middle name to Remus and make sure that Snape's creepy obsession with Lily isn't painted in a positive light because WTF.

Doctor Who
    Literally everything that happened after The Big Bang. Especially the anniversary. Fixed point in time means fixed point in time. None of this "time can be rewritten" BS.

Once Upon a Time
    Rumple actually learns from the death of his son, gives Belle the real dagger straight off, doesn't use his powers for evil, and doesn't try to go on some ridiculous "let's take over the world" plot. And Graham isn't dead.

20. Lazuri

I really don't get the people who think people shouldn't have died in the final battle of Harry Potter. It was war and they were massively outnumbered. If nobody died in that battle, it wouldn't have made sense and people would be complaining about that. Besides, Rowling didn't kill random characters. She killed characters that were likely to not make it. Some were inexperienced like Lavender Brown and Colin Creevey, some were cocky like Fred and some were overly protective like Tonks and Remus, who both probably died protecting each other or students.