1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watch Game of Thrones or Read the Books?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by WolfyFluff, Mar 30, 2015.

1. WolfyFluff

WolfyFluff Guest

I was contemplating about whether watching Game of Thrones or reading A Song of Ice and Fire after seeing an interview with George R.R. Martin on Youtube. He seemed really down to earth and a cool person. Before that, I haven't considered doing either of those things but now I've become interested mainly because of that. Is it worth reading or watching?

2. Gen

Gen

I would recommend watching the series unless you are a reader who feels as though they could appreciate the series purely as it is currently available. I personally wish that Martin has quite a number of years ahead of him for his own sake; however, it is highly unlike for him to succeed with his current plans for the length of this series given his age and expected lifespan. There might be hope if he adheres to the seven book model that he originally planned, but even he has doubted whether it will end there. He has, however, told the show runners the central aspects of the ending and it will continue in his absence.

That might be a bit morbid as far as reasoning goes, but it is a genuine concern when consider whether you want to devote time to five massive books.

3. CuriousLiaison

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I prefer the books, even if the last couple aren't up to the standard of the first three. I love the complexity of them, which makes it feel like there's an elaborate puzzle unfolding where you could almost work out what was going to happen next if you paid enough attention to the different characters motives. The show takes out a lot of the detail, but at the same time expects you to pay quite a lot of attention to take in the back story, which it's probably easier to get a handle on if you're reading.

But many people will say that the TV show is better.

I actually watched the first few episodes of the TV programme first, loved it, and then stopped watching while I read the books, then got back to the show. I think that worked really well.

Either way, I'm a huge fan of both. Really, don't be concerned by the fact that it's fantasy. Ultimately I see it as being about different groups manoeuvring for power when each individual has competing loyalties - to their family, to their king, to their morality and so on, and I find the different decisions people come to fascinating. It's also helped by the fact that so few characters are wholly good or bad.

Yes, people will tell you about the fantasy element, but it takes a while for that to become evident. Early on, everything supernatural is seen as something that happens far away or a long time ago, and isn't really believed in by many of the characters.

4. Thedistra

I would say do both, I started with the first season of the show then I read the books. I don't worry about George dying considering I read The Wheel Time which consisted of 14 books and the author of that died before he finished and left the project to another fantasy author and it still was just as enjoyable(he knew he was dying and left notes and wrote the actually ending himself). Obviously their writing styles were a bit different but I got use to it after awhile.

So I would imagine George would do something similar since it worked with The Wheel of Time. The Wheel of Time is quite "famous" in the fantasy book world so it's not I'm like bringing up some obscure series or anything.

I've never been good at getting people interested in anything but yeah it's good so read/watch it...........

5. Lazuri

I do both. I read a book and then watch the season that adapts the book. It worked well initially, but eventually the show started jumping the gun and has parts that are way ahead of the books.

6. LaEsmeralda

Yes, have both read the books and watched the series. I'm currently re-reading the books because I rushed through them and didn't give them the time they needed. He has an incredible mind and is a brilliant writer, but there is an awful lot of content to sift through. I think if you have enough patience you will really enjoy them.

Personally prefer the series because the actors really breath life into the characters and it is just so visually stunning. But if you like the series, definitely read the books too.

7. Lazuri

I agree about the actor's breathing life into the characters. The show is expertly cast.

8. kem

kem

Reading through the books, I'm somewhere around page 300 of Storm of Swords.

I started by watching the series, and I still like it more than the books.

9. LaEsmeralda

I think the one problem I have with the show is the relationship between Sansa and Sandor Clegane. It's far more complex and intimate in the books and one of my favourite things about the series. I was a bit peeved when it got so dumbed down and stripped of passion. Which is a shame cause I think the actors could have pulled it off really well :bang:

10. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

Do both.

I found the first book to be exactly like the first series but the series after had quite a few differences compared to the books. Same story but a few things happen in a different way. There are a lot more characters in the books too.

After watching the series and reading the books I definitly prefer the books due to there being more in them.

11. Lazuri

A LOT. If you're one of those people that read a book halfway through, take a six month hiatus and get's back to the book, it will not work out. You will not know who -anybody- is.