1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics being shipped overseas...

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by BeautifulStranger, Nov 18, 2008.

1. BeautifulStranger

Okay, so for Christmas, my parents are sending me a MacBook (along with a bunch of other things that I already know of... I'm a pro at gift-snooping. Being in Germany isn't going to change that...).
    Well, I had recently heard a rumor that all electronics being shipped overseas are intercepted by the U.S. Gov't and taken apart so as to check for spyware and other shit like that. I mentioned this to my parents, and now they aren't too keen on spending several thousand on a gift that may never reach me.
    I really want this MacBook, by the way...

My question is if this is true or not.

I heard it from some dumb and ignorant girl here (she's also American). But a boy who was with us said he read something about that in the paper as well. Now, I don't watch the news or read the paper ever... so all of this information is completely new to me.

My parentals are going to check with the postal service and do some research of their own. As you can obviously tell, I'm researching a bit too.

Does anyone here know about that?
    Can they link me to some information if it is indeed true?

2. Tim

Tim

I've never heard of this... I'm sure it'd be all over the US news if it was in fact happening, due to of course, christmas coming up :S

3. Janvier

Why don't you get it in Germany??
    Your parents send you the money over paypal and you go out and buy it.

4. BeautifulStranger

Due to the conversion rate and the customizations I want, it would be a lot more to buy it here.
    It's cheaper to buy it there and ship it over.

5. SlickyPants

Don't forget to take into account duties and brokerage fees. :slight_smile:

And no, I've never heard of such a ridiculous thing as the US government taking apart electronics and looking for stuff.

6. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

That is a good point. Items bought from the USA into the EU are subject to VAT (or your local purchase tax) plus a collection fee, and this must be paid before the goods are released. On computer equipment the rate is quite high. If not paid the goods are destroyed or sold to cover costs, they are not returned to the sender.

And the different supply voltage (115V in the USA, 230V in Europe) though a lot of equipment works from both. Plus the plug will be different. Wireless networks work on different frequencies too. So it may not be quite as straightforward as you're expecting.

Warranties will be a problem too, as service agents in Germany may not fix products from the USA under warranty. Warranties in the USA are often shorter than Europe too (90 days compared to a year or more). Buying a worldwide extended warranty could solve that, but it adds a good chunk to the cost.

Probably not an issue with Mac OS-X etc but some software (notably Adobe) is packaged for different regions and won't activate from an IP address in the wrong region.

So you need to look at more than just the purchase price, you need to look at the whole situation.

7. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Be careful. When a friend bought me this computer, he ended up paying nearly 3x as much because of customs duty.

8. starfish

Good news is that the power supplies that Apple sends in the US are are dual voltage. I routinely use my MacBook pro power adapter in my lab that only has 208V volt power. The power supply has a removable line cord so you just need to pick up an IEC C7 - Schuko line cord.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEC_connector#C7_and_C8_connectors

9. BeautifulStranger

I'm a 16 year old who subscribes to Elle and GQ
    I have no idea what 'account duties' or 'brokerage fees'.

I was told to have my parents open the computer box and at least turn the computer on once so that it's been used and the Gov't can't accuse me of trying to re-sell the computer. Does that have anything to do with those afforementioned topics?

Again... I absolutely have no idea what that means...
    I know that the power outlets are different in Germany than in America.
    My hostbrother has a charger for his iPod that has a removal piece that can have either a North American plug of a Northern Europe plug attached.
    He never uses it, so I'm going to take it and use his Northern European plug.
    A girl who was in my Orientation Course had a MacBook and she had the same thing. So if it works for her, it should work for me.

#9 BeautifulStranger, Nov 18, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2008
  10. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Basically you are being asked to pay the purchase tax on the import that you would have paid had you bought one in your country. Plus fees for collecting and processing that tax.

The government want their tax no matter where the item came from!

11. BeautifulStranger

I've received boxes of clothes and I haven't had to pay a thing on them.
    But a different girl here, from Japan (don't know if that's relevant), had to pay 600€ to pick up a package of hers.

12. EM68

Clothes are different than computers because of the electronics. I would have your parents check with the post office before they send the package. The post office should be able to tell them what kind of duties or taxes that you may have to pay. Also they may want to consider shipping it via DHL, UPS or Fed EX.

13. starfish

Any decent electronics or computer shop should be able to help you with the line cord. All kinds of electronics use the IEC C7-C8 connector, so I bet you could even one at the local equivalent of a Wal-Mart. Most people may not know that it is called a IEC C7 plug but if you show them a picture they should be able to help you out.

I could not find a C7-Schuko on Amazon, but they do have a C7-Europlug shich should work for you.
    http://www.amazon.de/Stromkabel-Eur...r_1_26?ie=UTF8&s=ce-de&qid=1227055141&sr=1-26

14. Kimi

US to Germany?
    Hmm...I wouldn't worry that much but then I wouldn't send something as expensive as MacBook...

But then I moved from Japan to US and moved back to US to Japan but nothing was stolen... We might lost few box and never realized it tho lol

I think account duties are for brand new stuffs. So I think you'll need to pay when you actually get that Mac.

Perhaps you could get an insurance for it?