1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much violence is TOO much violence?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by MisterTinkles, Apr 17, 2015.

?

HOW much tv/movie violence is TOO much violence?

Poll closed Feb 11, 2016.
  1. ANY type of violence is TOO much

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. Slapping and punching are TOO much

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Stabbing and shooting are TOO much

4 vote(s)
    22.2%
  4. Showing murder/death/killing is TOO much

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Dismemberment/blood-n-guts is TOO much

12 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. MisterTinkles

I've recently started watching DareDevil, the TV show. Although the show is good, it is EXTREMELY graphically violent! I really don't know if I can watch it anymore.

It got me to thinking.......HOW much violence is TOO much violence (TV and movies)?

[​IMG]

2. Broods

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is that the new Netflix show? I didn't know it was out yet!

I think when it comes to violence it's all about the context. I mean if a show advertises itself as a kids show and has someone get shot, that's too much violence in that scenario. Whereas a war drama or a show like game of thrones has you expecting violence. Shows are always trying to push the boundaries to get a reaction. I sort of like it though how non network shows that are released on Netflix have free reign on content.

3. Rawrzilla

Rawrzilla Guest

If it serves a narrative purpose, it is never too much.

4. LakanLunti

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For me, rape scenes are the most violent scenes. I hate it, makes me want to kill who ever is the rapist

5. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

There's a point where violence become gratuitous but for me I'm rarely bothered by that. If it's just there to compensate for a lack of plot then it's just boring though.

6. Psaurus918

This. I can handle violence in almost any form (murdering, torturing, dismemberment) but the rape scene in Last House On The Left was hard to watch. I also cringe when animals get hurt.

I don't know why but if something terrible happens to humans on a TV show or movie I can play it off as "it's just a movie" but it bothers me to see animals get hurt

7. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No amount of gore/violence bothers me, nor do I think there should be a limit on violence allowed in media. I think it's rare that extreme gore is used properly in film, and is usually just there to make up for the shittiness of the production, but when it is used effectively and appropriately, it can really enhance the experience.

(also I agree with the animal thing, leave them out unless actually necessary)

8. Foz

Foz Guest

So long as they don't hurt a dog, kill as indiscriminately as you want!

9. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Refrained from voting because it really depends. Violence is a tool for artistic expression, so my answer is "Use whatever works along with viewer discretion." :wink:

I don't think I'll ever support the glorification of violence though. Even when it looks awesome, it should be expressed as either fantastical (like LOTR or Star Wars), or unpleasant at best if not both. I think Kill Bill did a good job of it. The fighting and blood were over the top, but never did it express that the Bride actually reveled in all that slaughter or served as a role model. It was a primal urge for her, not an admirable lifestyle.

#9 Argentwing, Apr 18, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  10. LakanLunti

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Gosh that's awful! I also hated that part! If you watched I Spit On Your Grave, you will REALLY REALLY REALLY hate the rape scene but will LOVE the revenge scenes.

11. Yosia

I dont have any complaints about violence graphic-wise as i believe that the stronger scenes can have more of an impact. What annoys me about violence though is when the film is just mindless violence with no story.

12. Gandee

Gandee Guest

I have watched both movies, and I didn't like them much. I am not a fan of torture :/

13. MotelGuy

MotelGuy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    There's no such thing as too much violence...

14. sartorious

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    arfff

HIGH FIVE !!!

15. MotelGuy

MotelGuy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    High five accepted...

16. MisterTinkles

And none of you think this is where society has become so viciously violent and lethargic when it comes to violence at home, in the streets, or in schools?

Kids mimic what they see on TV, because they don't think it's wrong, because "TV said it's ok".

Is brutally smashing a mans head from his body, because you were embarrassed by him, really what you want children to learn?

Is violent reaction what you would rather be taught to society, than to sit down and work things out?

Media needs to be held responsible for what they publish in any form.

17. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Society has gotten lethargic about domestic violence because people are afraid of reporting them, because 9 times out of 10, they will end up getting mocked, shamed, and get the vast majority of the blame, when it really should be on the attacker. Victim blaming is the issue, not violence in media.

With this logic, I, and all of my friends, would have at least 2 first-degree murders under our belts, after watching shows like Dragonball, Hellsing, and every superhero show known to man (with the possible exception of Captain Planet), and playing Halo and Super Smash Brothers on a daily basis. Most kids know the difference between reality and fiction. Those who don't either have a developmental issue, or their parents/guardians never taught them the difference.

So with all of that, I shall eagerly await the Deadpool movie.

[​IMG]

18. The blood and guts is just too much for me. Gruesome deaths especially. That's why I couldn't watch Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Silence of the Lambs.

19. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Violence doesn't bother me as an entertainment piece. But that may just be due to the fact, I was introduced to violence through Horror movies and video games, at a very early age. I also had a morbid curiosity with seeking out the heinous and, over the years, have accumulated a mental catalog of some very twisted nightmare material.

What does bother me, as others have said, is when the violence is simply there for shock value. You can be shocking within a narrative context. It's when a medium hides behind the violence to "stretch for time" or provide an illusion of substance, that it becomes a problem.

I tend to dislike rape scenes. We all know rape is bad. Even if the plot is based on somebody being raped getting revenge, we don't need to see the rape, because we already know how traumatizing it can be. You can imply it, maybe even cut out, and still have your point.

But there is something interesting to point out here, about rape. If it happens to a female, it's terrible. But with men, often times, it becomes a running gag or joke. In the film This Is The End, one fellow is raped by a demon, but it is treated as a joke. While I understand the film is presented as a comedy, if a woman had been put in that situation, it wouldn't have been as easy a sell. That aside, that movie fucking sucked, but I digress...

Something else to look at is Horror films themselves. Beginning in the late 1970s and carrying on to even today, there is a trend of sex and violence. Most folks criticize these films for those two elements, but they often times miss something even more profound:

The bulk of killing scenes in Horror movies, tend to happen mid-sexual act or preparation. It's associating the act of sex with violence, from a psychological standpoint. The Friday the 13th films are most notorious for this; hell, they're even parodied by these types of scenes. But you can dive into your own research adventure with this one, it's a very fascinating but depraved journey.

If we're talking about violence in today's world:

How many people watched Wile E. Coyote fall off a cliff and didn't jump off one themselves? How many people watched Bugs Bunny put dynamite into a telephone and didn't do it themselves?

You'd be amazed at the innuendo, subtext, and violence in many pieces of entertainment, from back in the day. Hell, watch a Tom and Jerry cartoon, some of the stuff Tom plans to do to Jerry is, even by today's standards, savage!

20. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    When children get hurt, it's gone too far. When rape is involved, I feel the same. I don't mean that a child can't scrape their knee in a show, or that it cannot be implied that someone was raped, but I don't have any desire to see it graphically displayed.