1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PG Movies that Aren't

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by blackhatguy, Apr 20, 2015.

1. blackhatguy

My school does a senior all nighter. They limit the movie ratings to G and PG, which is sad because my favorites are usually in the R range, or occasionally a PG 13. So I'm trying to come up with movies that are rated PG, but not Disney or Veggie Tales.

At the moment I've got

Airplane
    Dr. Strangelove (Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb)
    Space Balls
    Strange Brew

Anything else I'm missing?

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Anything from Dreamworks. How To Train Your Dragon (1 and 2)? So good. :love:

3. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Doesn't Strange Brew have beer as part of the plot? If so, it might not get official approval in many high schools, no matter what the rating.

I like the Pink Panther movies with Peter Sellers. At least a couple are old enough to apparently have no rating. Thus, no worries about the rating. :lol: At least one later installment (Pink Panther Strikes Again) is apparently PG.

A bit off topic...but this reminds me of my 7th grade English teacher, who pacified us with a movie each month. One time, she went with the-then fairly current National Lampoon's Vacation, which is not PG. She was ever vigilant, remote in hand, to fast forwards through...ah...certain parts of the movie. I honestly remembered little about that movie when I saw it years later, except my teacher and her Mighty Remote.

4. blackhatguy

Yes, it does, so they might shoot that down.

I had no idea that was Peter Sellers. He's got three separate roles in Strangelove, which was funny.

In my seminary class we did that with Groundhog Day, which isn't as bad as Lampoons, but still surprising.

5. CyberScream

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Star Wars Trilogy. All PG. If you like anime, a couple of Studio Ghibli films fall in PG ranges that have some great action in them. Tremors 3... I think was also in the PG range. A baseball movie called the Sandlot. The MPAA ratings have changed over the years. PG movies back then would be considered PG-13 now. So, you might have to go back to some of the classics. Like James Bond films. Most of them are PG until the late 80s.

6. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This idea is just me being evil... But there is Same Time Next Year (1978) which is PG rated according to Google. It is also about a man and woman who have a 20-some year affair, meeting once a year. (Obviously, no sex on screen since it's PG...but it's pretty clear what is going on.)

7. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, PG13 came along in roughly the mid 1980s. Going to older movies might help. Go back far enough, and one can avoid the ratings entirely. :lol:

But...one problem that hits me: the other students might complain about older movies. I saw this one when I was in 11th grade English. We watched Psycho in English, then reviewed it. There was a lot of complaining about it.

8. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom & Gremlins, are to blame for the demand of a PG-13 rating. Interestingly, these movies can be marked as PG or PG-13, depending on the casing.

Jaws is PG, but it'd easily be PG-13 today. But that's 1975 for you.

Who Framed Roger Rabbit is also PG, though honestly, it shouldn't be. But it's still an entertaining movie.

9. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

which is interesting considering temple of doom is 1 of the most fucking brutal and violent movies I ever watched as a kid, with themes as dark as Child slavery/abuse and devil worshipping, and that scene where Mola Ram performs the ritual sacrifice..

how is this movie not rated R lmao

10. 42Bowties

5 letters:
    F.R.O.Z.E.N.

11. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Umm, yeah... :grin:

12. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I don't get it

13. blackhatguy

Mainly I'm trying to sneak crap past the radar. I'm not one for Disney, Pixar, et cetera. If the unrated idea would work I'd go with Pitch Black or The Objective, but I'm guessing they've seen that trick before.

I'd be ok with an edited version of Apollo 13 if I could find a copy, I know it's out there cause we watched it at scout camp once.

14. mangotree

It appears that a lot of Tim Burton films are PG.
    So things like Beetlejuice, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Corpse Bride, Frankenweenie, etc...

And other creepy and/or disturbing movies like:
    The Witches
    Labyrinth
    Dark Crystal
    Return to Oz

#14 mangotree, Apr 21, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  15. Jellal

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince was a surprising PG rating, a lot of the violence in it was bloody and physical and not so magical.

16. Dans le placard

I'm from the UK, so had to do some IMDb searches, but I was just wondering why you can't show PG-13 films. Surely everyone in the audience (high-school age) is 13 or over?

Anyway, some more recent (as in past 5 years) PG films not yet mentioned that I think could appeal to a high-school crowd. I haven't seen them all, having said that...

Into the Woods
    Tron: Legacy
    Maleficent
    Alice in Wonderland
    Life of Pi
    Hugo

Plus some classics (modern or otherwise)...

Indiana Jones Trilogy
    Back to the Future
    ET (version with guns :lol: )
    Star Wars films (all but Revenge of the Sith are PG, I believe)
    Who Framed Roger Rabbit
    The Nightmare Before Christmas
    American Graffiti
    Hairspray
    Grease

17. blackhatguy

Seriously. The dominant religion of my region tends toward being very annoying when it comes to things like movie ratings, which is pretty annoying. Considering it's only seniors, 98% of us are 17 or older so even rated R would be acceptable.

So I'm trying to get back at them a bit.

18. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

If that's your goal, I'd go with Gremlins.

Sociopath-like creatures run wild in a small town on Christmas. There's smoking, drinking, use of a gun, and some Gremlins even get killed (stabbed, blown up in microwave). It starts off all family-like and cute but... well... yeah... it turns into a black comedy with elements of Horror.

Who Framed Roger Rabbit, too. There's smoking and drinking, but you also have a lot of sexual innuendo. But perhaps the most disturbing aspect of it all is, you see cartoons killed by something called Dip. That should be sure to scar some childhoods.

To this day, the scene where Eddie performs to make the weasels "die from laughter", stands out as just comically disturbing, for me.

19. futuristicfire

Coraline. It's got it all; gore, ghosts, people with their mouth sewn shut, Kurloz-style...

20. Ghost93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Most of the movies being listed (with Jaws and The Temple of Doom being exceptions) I think deserve the ratings they got.

PG means Parental Guidance. That means they are supposed to have objectionable content in them.

Within the last 10 years PG has almost become the new G in that everyone expects a PG movie to be a kids movie. A lot of parents were complaining about Into the Woods containing mature subtexts (like the Wolf being a pedophile, and the Baker/Wife cheating), but I bet if the movie came out in like 2000 no one would mind because at the time PG movie had to earn that rating.

Every Disney movie of the 90s had a G rating and they contain far more inappropriate content than PG rated movies like Tangled and Frozen (both of which should have been G). The Lion King had the murder of Mufassa. Tarzan had Clayton accidentally hanging himself. The Hunchback of Notre Dame had murder, attempted genocide and infanticide, people getting burned at the stake and a 70 year old Catholic singing about his lustful thoughts.

The Hunchback of Notre Dame should have been PG, but The Lion King? I'm not so sure. It's a classic that anybody should be able to see. I feel our culture has gotten too sensitive when it comes to the rating system. What is the point of the G rating anymore? It's impossible to get it. PG is essentially what the G rating was 10 years ago.