1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which one of these batman movies do you think were the best?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by WolfyFluff, Apr 21, 2015.

1. WolfyFluff

WolfyFluff Guest

I'm just talking about only the Batman movies before Christopher Nolan's Batman movies.

Batman '66
    Batman 1989
    Batman Returns
    Batman Forever
    Batman and Robin

you can rank them from what you think is best to worst.

2. warholwendy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    5. Batman and Robin
    4. Batman Returns
    3. Batman '89
    2. Batman Forever
    1. Batman '66

5 is the worst, 1 is the best

3. White Knight

Best one is Batman Returns...

No other Batman live action movie could come close to Returns. Important thing about Batman Returns is, it is Catwoman's movie more than Batman's.

Batman and Robin comes a bit close with Poison Ivy potrayal of Uma Thurman. So it might be second one.

I wouldn't touch Forever with 10 feet pole because of Val Kilmer and Jim Carrey... God that was the worst piece of crap I've ever forced myself to watch... Thank God for Chris O'donnel he was a sight for sore eyes in that mountain of garbage...

Batman movie is okay with Kim Bassinger, Jack Nicholson and Micheal Keaton but nothing to write home about. Not gothic enough to be Batman Returns, not action filled enough to be an earlier the Avengers. It did good job of preparing us for Returns tho'. We got used to robot like Batman and dark atmosphere of the setting. That was quite constrast to cheerfull and nimble Batman we know from old comics.

Didn't watch 66 version so no opinion on that one.

On the other side, I never understood all the fuss about Nolan's Bat Movies... Just like Iron Man movies they are nothing special. Only good thing... a surprise of those series were Catwoman. Anne Hathaway did a good job as Catwoman... not a second Pfeiffer but way much better than Berrycrap. I believe that fabled Joker of that series more based on endearing the death than actual good concept.

Thank God for Marvel movies otherwise with DC ones I would lose my faith in superhero movies. No I am not talking about CGI filled parts of the movies I am talking about Captain America: The First Avenger and its portrayal of Steve Rogers. I am talking about X-Men First Class and letting us witness and fall in love with tragic-side of Magneto. I am talking about underlying family motiff in Fantastic Four movies.

Probably this is why I love Batman Returns that much. It gives Bruce and Selina a chance to shine... make us see how awkward they are out of costumes... how everyday and faulty they are. In Nolan's Batman trilogy that feel so forced. I don't even bother with making comments about latest Superman crapo'movie. Smallvile were better... a billion times better than those hideous pieces of "art".

Hah I think I somehow forgot my geek mode on....:grin:

4. LakanLunti

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Batman and Robin! Its not because of Batman, but because of Uma Thurman's brilliance in playing Poison Ivy <3 <3 <3 <3

5. That one guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Batman vs robin the animated movie is one of my favourite animated films, but it's behind the animated dark knight returns which is stellar

6. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm is probably my favorite movie, but it's animated and not on that list, so...

From best to worst:

Batman Returns.
    Batman.

Those two don't really need explanations. They're just the best films of the Batman franchise, with Returns being my top choice.

Batman Forever.
    Batman & Robin.

I don't really like these films as a whole, but they each have a pro and a con. Batman Forever is the one I hated as a kid, a lot. But having since watched it again, it still sucks, though Jim Carey is not a bad Riddler. He is, by far, the most entertaining character in the film. Everything else is awful.

Batman & Robin does have Uma Thurman as Poison Ivy, which is fine, but then you have a terrible version of Bane and a HORRIBLE Mr. Freeze. That last one is the reason I consider Batman & Robin my least favorite film of the series.

Batman 1966.

I can't fairly group this one with the others. It's a totally different kind of film, for a different kind of mood. It's absolutely ridiculous, but it's fun. It gets a passing grade from me.

7. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Totally agree!

8. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Batman '89 is my personal favourite. The mood, the acting, the plot; it's just a lot of fun. It's kinda dark and brooding but also has this cheesiness too it. It's a good balance.

Keaton is one of my favourite Batmans. I think he captured the serious but cheeky little devil that the character was at that time, and the contrast is done well between the two personas. This is something especially hard to capture, an example being the Nolan Trilogy Batman. Bale's performance is good, but it feels as though the character gets swallowed up by these two extremes, and kind of loses his identity. He's either the overly-forced playboy billionaire, or this oversaturated hunk of gloom. His intimate moments always felt a little chalky to me. Comparing how he acts around Rachel to how he acts around Selina/Thalia really makes me feel like he wasn't quite sure the approach he should take to Bruce's close ones. I think Bale's best deliveries were in Batman Begins. Although the Bruce-Alfred interactions in The Dark Knight Rises is amazing. One of the few moments that I loved about that movie. (Take this paragraph with a bucket of salt. Obviously, it's not just the actor, but the writing/audience change which makes this Batman so different)

IMO Bale's Batman is more of an outlier from the rest of the live-action movies than West's. They're all good though :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Uma Thurman does not make up for the horror show that is Batman and Robin. Honestly, I've never been satisfied with any on-screen Ivy. Thurman was close, but I still think we can do better. That's all I'm going to say on this movie, as I'm already getting war flashbacks of Schwarzenegger's ice puns.

'66 Batman was exactly what it was supposed to be at that time. It's a total cheese fest, and while it doesn't hold up very well, I think it's important to remember that Batman's roots aren't nearly as dark as the rest of the tree.

Haha, I just realised that I didn't really give my opinion on the other films. Oh well. It's honestly all pretty subjective, so it doesn't matter what I think.

#8 Batman, Apr 22, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  9. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Batman has spoken on Batman.

/thread.

10. LakanLunti

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This thread is made for you to dominate. Weve been waiting for your response :grin:

11. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    Batman Returns is my favourite. Good story, cast and overall feel. It has a sort of 'Gothic fairground in the dead of winter' visual appeal to it; more recognisably Tim Burton's style than the first one.

Batman 1989 would be my second choice. Goes without saying that Jack Nicholson is a great fit as The Joker.

Funnily enough I was just talking about these two films earlier on, prompted by my mother seeing a picture of an emperor penguin and commenting on how much Danny DeVito: "actually really does look like a penguin in the film." :lol:

12. Lazuri

How anybody can say anything good about Batman and Robin is absolutely beyond me. That movie is literally, not figuratively, one of the worst movies ever. The entire fucking movie felt like a huge joke. And no, Uma Thurman didn't portray Poison Ivy well, none of the characters were portrayed well. Everything was garbage. Just pure, unadultered garbage. There was not a single saving grace to be had in that entire movie, it was fucking awful. I find it not to just be the worst Batman movie, but one of the worst movies I've ever seen. I felt outright insulted being subjected to it.

13. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Trauma makes people do funny things.

14. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    Agreed. It was also the film that killed the hope of a fifth movie in the series that would have featured characters like The Scarecrow, Harley Quinn and the The Joker reprised by Nicholson. Although given the travesty the series had become by this point that was probably a good thing.

The moment you know the wheels have fallen off is when you see the molded nipples on the costumes, rubber nipples are the harbingers of death:

[​IMG]

15. White Knight

Because at least for me Jim Carey wrote book on bad acting by the way he played Riddler... exactly the same way he played other characters... Same gestures, same demeanour and same voice... It is like he copy pasted it from his earlier movies.

Batman and Robin took Tim Burton's dark movies and tried to turn them into punk version of 60s tv show. Jokes, acting and even that fabled nipple costumes... oh and ice props screaming fake. In that text movie not bad if you watch it as too bad it is funny. Uma Truman was the only one suited her role. Clooney was better than Kilmer but way much worse than Keaton. O'donnel was good because of his pretty face. Same goes for Silverstone. Arnie tried good but he couldn't make a believable Freeze. Every scene has Uma Truman suddenly gave movie a classy tone. She was a temptress, she was an avenger of nature.

16. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

That's an interesting way of looking at it...

But that movie has ruined Mr. Freeze. I cannot forgive it for that.

Still, you've given me a lens to look through.

17. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I liked the '89 Batman as a movie overall. Even though this is a Batman thread I would just like to say that Mark Hamill is my favourite Joker.

18. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Yes!

19. Lazuri

I realized he was going more for the 60's Batman, but that's not progress. In fact, it's the total opposite. Even then, the movie isn't even laughably bad, it's just bad.

I could argue why it's so awful, but I'd rather just link Nostalgia Critic's review because he says what I'm thinking.
    [YOUTUBE]R7CDeuN5Zmc[/YOUTUBE]

Mark Hamill is best Joker yeah, but now that he retired from the role. Troy Baker is actually doing an alright job, to absolutely nobody's surprise. There's another dude on youtube called "LordJazor" who does an exceptional Joker voice. Exhibit A:
    [YOUTUBE]JQlWKmYnNo0[/YOUTUBE]

20. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

That LordJazor is really good. He's got it about 95% perfect.