1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Digital Camera

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by ColbieMarie, Nov 22, 2008.

1. ColbieMarie

ColbieMarie Guest

I'm looking to buy a digital camera for myself but I'm not sure what to get.

I'd like to stay under $250.

I'm looking at bestbuy.com at different brands.

I'm leaning towards this Canon PowerShot 8.0 Megapixel Digital ELPH Digital Camera. The price is $199.
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8742239&type=product&id=1202648739174

[​IMG]

And then there's also this Kodak EasyShare 10.2 Megapixel Digital Camera. The price is $159.
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9018564&type=product&id=1218008946033

[​IMG]

Why is the Kodak one less expensive even tho it has more megapixels. Is there a difference in the brands? Is Canon a better brand and that is why the Canon is more expensive??

Any input would be greatly appreciated as I am not very knowledgeable in this field.

2. Amy

Amy

QVC has a hella good one for $150-ish. Its like 10 meg too.

3. Derek the Wolf

I personally prefer Kodak, and anything over 10 megapixels is great unless you're doing professional photography.

4. panda

Canon is the best. This revue is a little old but check it out anyway.!!

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/recommended-cameras.htm

Kodak was late to the digital market, but think about what they're each known for.

Kodak; Film and Paper.

Canon; Cameras, has made quality cameras for a 100 years.

As far as Mega Pixels go 8 M/P will give you a quality 16"x20" photo. You don't really need 10.

It's the old "Mine is bigger than yours"***** "Size doesn't really matter"

#4 panda, Nov 22, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  5. Kenko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have two Kodak cameras and I've been reasonably happy with them. They are good cameras for the price, but generally Canon is better. However I'd have to see both models in detail to determine for sure which is better.

Also from the looks of things the Canon has an optical viewfinder. It seems most people in the universe forgot what these are, but they are very handy for taking photos either outside in the sun, or in very low light, as you can see what you're pointed at. Also if you're trying to take a longer exposure (1/15, or 1/8) without a tripod, it's much easier with an optical viewfinder to hold the camera steady.

The Kodak is 10MP vs. 8 for the Canon. Mega pixel count isn't that important. In fact above 3MP it really doesn't matter for most uses. Especially as a lot of people post photos online at much lower resolutions. My "best" camera is 6MP, and I've never found myself wanting more, and it makes excellent prints.

All I can say is try to find sample photos taken with both cameras. Both indoors and outdoors, And examine the them at 1:1 zoom to look for image quality issues, look at how well the flash works. Also see if you can find any online reviews about battery life, etc.

If you can't find any, try taking a memory card to the store and taking a couple sample shots on the display cameras. In fact it is very worthwhile playing with them in the store. See how quick they turn on, if they have any problems focusing, if you like the menu better in one over the other, etc.
    Reitterating form another link above

Also, Digital zoom is pure trash, only look at optical zoom values.

#5 Kenko, Nov 22, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  6. Larry Myster

Man I need some cameras so i can upload more photos to my msyapce page. :frowning2:

Oh Derek, I like your singature!