1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Horror Movies rec

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Gandee, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Gandee

Gandee Guest

Hello friends, I'm sure this topic has been asked before, but meh, don't wanna dig up old thread.

I'm looking for horror movies which have a lot of buildup and tension, relies more on psychological nightmares than gore. To give you an idea of what I'm talking about, I want movies similar to Insidious, Sinister, The Ring, The Grudge, etc.

Non-American movies are welcome.

But no Paranormal Activity, that stuff is way too overrated, and now they are just milking money with each sequel.

2. LakanLunti

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Insidious and Sinister are good, but I dont think they are not that scary. Their "goodness" relies on the intelligently placed jump scares. So I would say The Grudge is the perfect example of what youre talking about. So is the Conjuring. The Conjuring has good jump scares but it also leaves that trauma in your brain (fuck that Hide and Clap shit!).

3. Gandee

Gandee Guest

Insidious and Sinister are excellent thanks to their eerie soundtrack. And I have also watched the Conjuring, good movie. I personally never find the Grudge scary, but I was very interested in Japanese Ghost culture. A bit of folklore is always nice.

4. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Many of these may not exactly rely on psychological nightmares, but they do rely on the viewer's mind filling in the blanks. Also, they all have build up and use suspense.

Jaws:
    You gradually see the shark over the course of the film. Part of what makes this movie so effective is, since you don't see the shark (until closer to the end, other than quick glances), you're left to imagine what is going on underneath the water.

Alien:
    It was advertised as "Jaws in space", so, that should tell you how this film operates. It starts off a little slow but picks up, when alien life is encountered. It's one of those folks die one by one films, but it does well enough with building up tension.

Hellraiser: Inferno:
    A crooked detective discovers the Puzzle Box, and he becomes trapped in a repeating nightmare. Pinhead only shows up near the end, but his scene is worth it. It actually has one of my favorite dialogue bits of any film. It isn't as heavy on building up tension, because you think it's just a film about a detective doing shady stuff -- it isn't until the end that you realize, oh shit, that is what was being built up.

Duel:
    Other than the previous film, this is probably the closest to what you're looking for. A cowardly little man, in a little car, is driving across country and he encounters this intimidating semi-truck driver. Basically, it boils down to the semi-truck driver taunting and trying to kill this man who, for one reason or another, cannot get any help, no matter how he tries. It's interesting because, at first, the guy is whatever, then he freaks the fuck out, but eventually he mans up. I'm not sure if there is some deep psychological moral to it.

That said, it isn't exactly scary. It's more so, damn that would really fucking suck to experience, but it's an early work of Spielberg so, you know, it's worth checking out.

Night of the Living Dead:
    It's black and white, but it still delivers. This film is all about building up tension. You even get a tidbit on racism, how fun!

Dawn of the Dead:
    I personally prefer the 1978 version, because running zombies kind of kills the mood. It's interesting to see how the survivors cope with a collapsing world.

Day of the Dead:
    You want to see humanity on it's last leg? Here you go. Just waiting to see the various cliques butt heads is the core of this film. Also, the character of Captain Rhodes is amazing, even if he is an asshole you want to hate.

5. Gandee

Gandee Guest

Oh, I love that series! Even though Alien is a bit on the gory side, parasitic aliens are always worth my time!

I think I will amend to my "no gore" statement. If it is done in Freddy Krueger, or Hellraiser's styles, it is okay in my book.

6. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I was honestly about to bring up Freddy Krueger. :slight_smile: If you're looking for psychological stuff, the last Nightmare on Elm Street does that pretty well. (That little kid scares the crap outta me). The ending is anticlimactic and kind of ruins the whole movie, but if you ignore that, it's pretty good.

7. JohnX

Out Status:
    A few people
    Eek @ some of the movies. You need thai horror films like Coming Soon, Shutter, Alone, and Art of Devil

8. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

That would be Wes Craven's New Nightmare. It isn't exactly part of the first six film's canon, as it takes more of a break-the-fourth-wall kind of approach.

9. starlights

Out Status:
    A few people

Alien is one of my favorite movies of all time! It was one of the first movies to have a realistic, kickass female protagonist (Ripley), it was super creepy and moody, and every part of the set was amazing. The ship felt real and lived-in, and the HR Giger art was nightmarish.

Dawn of the Dead IMO is the best Romero movie. Good pick!

Recently I watched Oculus and I loved it, and then I watched Absentia which was a low budget horror movie by the same director, and it was really good too. Other recent favorites are The Pact, The Conjuring, and I watched The Descent again for probably the third time lol.

One of the things I want in a relationship is someone who also likes horror movies so we can curl up together on the couch with a blanket and watch together :icon_bigg

10. Psaurus918

I'm a huge horror film buff and the conjuring was the first movie that made me sleep with my lights on for like a month after!

11. candyjiru

I recommend,
    The Eye (Thai version, but the american version is okay),
    Shutter (Thai) (seconding JohnX)~
    Audition (Japanese)
    Strange Circus (Japanese, not so much scary as creepy mind-eff)

If you like horror and wouldn't mind a horror-comedy, Dale and Tucker vs Evil is one of my favorite movies ever, and The Cabin in the Woods was pretty funny, too ^.^

12. tulipinacup

I would also recommend Audition and while it has some of the gory parts, what makes this scary for me though is the way the woman tortures the guy. There's something eerie and disturbing about it. Kirikirikiri!!!

13. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

Insidious 1 & 2, The Conjuring, The Haunting In Connecticut, Sinister (I honestly was disappointed with the ending), The Final Destination Movies and.. Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2003 remake and Texas Chainsaw Massacre The Beginning.

Heaps of others.. I am just too tired to name them! Sorry :frowning2: I will recommend Wolf Creek and Wolf Creek 2 as my last horror movie suggestions! They are based on a true story that happened in Australia. The backpacker murders. Scary as! Aussie movies. Enjoy :slight_smile:

14. LakanLunti

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Haunting in Connecticut is a good one too! But HiC2 is a trash.
    _______

Cyberbully is one scary film if you are always on social networking sites. Im hyped to watch Unfriended.

15. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Twilight is pretty scary, too.

Just saying.

16. tulipinacup

:eek: vampires who glitter in the sun

17. Gandee

Gandee Guest

Monsters of the century.

18. hh43dd

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Mama is actually a really good movie although it relies a bit too much on jumpscares.
    It's about a man who shoots his colleagues and wife and then brings his two girls to the woods to kill them and commit suicide, but he crashes in his car and still alive the three go to a wooden cabin where the man attempts to kill the oldest girl but gets strangled by an unknown entity. You see a cherry being tossed to the girls, then both under 5 years old. Five years later a rescue team finds the two girls, bewildered, and puts them in an enclosed environment. The man's cousin decided to take care of the girls and bring them home with him, but they constantly speak of an entity called Mama. The psychologists call this a coping method for surviving so long in the wilderness, but everyone soon finds out that Mama does exist.

Lots of jumpscares, but a heartbreaking story. Besides, horror movies with innocent little girls in them are always scary. :wink:

19. wolf of fire

Grave encounters- scariest film In have ever watched (and I class SAW as comedy)

20. Gandee

Gandee Guest

Somebody class Saw as comedy!
    I love you!