1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FanFics

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Erzulie, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Erzulie

Does anyone else read a lot of fanfics where they take characters from your favorite show or movie or book (I don't read a lot of books but i figure they must be out there) and put them in a gay relationship? I have been addicted since I stumbled across a site with a whole library of fanfics. Some of them have such brilliant writing! :slight_smile:

2. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes all the time! Reading fanfiction is so much fun:slight_smile:

3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    See my avatar for my answer. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I love gay fanfic pairings! The only problem is that most stories featuring them are terrible. Is it so hard to make them even a little bit plausible within the characters' universe? But when you find a good one, it really makes your day.

4. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

only like em if their x rated ^_^

5. Lyana

I love fanfiction. I really got into it when waiting for the last Harry Potter book to come out... and then after it came out, I didn't want it to be over. So more fanfiction.

I read and write it for several fandoms now, but still mostly Harry Potter. I like the slash pairings, but not only. Some fanfics out there are just really good: stylistically impressive, with a fantastic plot, amazing characterization...

I was reading a great Draco/Harry fanfic just a few hours ago actually. :grin:

6. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

If the characters resemble themselves. When folks change them so completely, they may as well make their own character.

A lot of fanfiction is pretty terrible, and seems to be written to stroke somebody's ego. But you can stumble across some marvelous works.

7. Jakob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I read fanfics occasionally. But not really for pairings.

I like to read those that main plot point isn't a relationship. Usually I just want a good story.

8. Bearsona

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not only read, I write them. I have a new one in the works... Though I tend to go for existing ships or actual relationships within the series itself. So far I've stuck to Mai HiME/Otome, though I'm thinking of branching out to Avatar, Yuru Yuri and Agent Carter.

9. randomly me

randomly me Guest

Yes if they are written good.

Since some people said they don't like ooc works...i'm actually ok with them as long as it is ,see above ,"written good" if an author doesn't have the courage to write about ocs yet then this is a good step.I kinda see them as OCs who happen to share the name of famous charas.

10. Yosia

I read and write fanfic of many different genres with gay and straight pairings. I tend to read romance and 'M-rated' fiction and write stories which could be adapted into an episode of the show itself. But i do vary this. :3

11. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I don't mind OOC works, if there is a point to it. I've seen some satirical works that are hilariously intelligent. It's when people latch onto a character and, for the sake of indulging in their little fantasy, totally alter that character. It gets to the point that, it isn't the character you want to see, it's just some hollow shell, that could be filled by anyone else, but since it's a certain character, in name only, the author is banking on that selling their story -- this is selfishly lazy, and a bad writing technique.

To give you an example. I like Azula x Ty Lee. A large part of the reason I like this pairing is, because of their personalities. To have Azula become a squealing, blushing school girl, with no real reason, totally ruins that. It may be a quick and easy way to get a story rolling, but it will fail to keep my attention unless, again, there's some point to it, that isn't simply the author lacking the ability to write the character.

To give an example from a general story perspective. I like Naruto well enough. But many of those "high school AU" stories are simply self-inserts for people. That's fine, but when Gaara becomes a blushing, stuttering mess because he's around his crush, that isn't Gaara, and he doesn't know what to do at the school dance. I could tolerate the high school thing, if the core personalities remained the same. When I can't tell the difference between characters, there's a problem.

At the same time, folks can write what they want. But when I look for a certain fandom, there has to be some ground rules. Azula does not wear cat ears and skip, just like Gaara does not use his sand to hide his blushing face! LOL.

12. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's probably to avoid the work of having to create a decent original character. Apparently creating a non-Mary Sue OC is too hard for some people so they take an accepted character with all their established information and abuse the crap out of them XD. But I suppose making lousy fanfic is a stepping stone to making good fanfic, and from there to original creations.

13. Weregild

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Only Harry Potter fanfictions. There's a specific pairing I'm into but it's so hard to find good work. Plus a website I used to check went down in 2013 and I wasn't able to save any of my favorite stories :frowning2:

I've tried to write fanfic but I'm too lazy for that, I guess.

14. -Lana-

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Love em! :grin:DDD

15. Haim

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yep, another fan of Fanfic here :slight_smile:

I love reading and read a huge amount, so I find it really hard to find stories with lesbians that aren't set in high school and/or full of coming out angst in normal fiction (that I haven't already read).

I've read some really great fics, some good ones and some that I can't finish. I've started writing it too fairly recently, with a HP AU for a less popular pairing.

16. Gandee

Gandee Guest

These days I only read crackfics for the laugh XD
    Like that one where the hogwarts castle (I mean the castle! The F*cking building!) has sex with a octopus :roflmao:

17. David21201

I read and write fanfics. I HATE when people do self insertion ( OC wise, i dont mine "x readers") I also hate OOC...

I love me my gay babies XD but i go for any fanfic really. M rated is bae~

(I'm currently working on a Cecilos smut...Night Valers know what i mean *wonk*)

18. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I agree on the OC/OOC stuff. Not into AU either. M rated all the way!

19. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people

20. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people