1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RENT: Filmed Live on Broadway

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by davo-man, Nov 25, 2008.

1. davo-man

For those not in the know, RENT: FLoB was a production by Sony, wherein they basically filmed the last couple of RENT performances on Broadway, spliced them together and created a MEGA-BEAST of a movie....which they only showed four time...only to people in America.

Anyway, news is: They are bringing it out DVD/BluRay!

Anyone else excited? I know many of you will not have heard of it, so I tought to include some RENT introductory vids...RENT 101, if you will

[youtube]http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=0AzwqEQN8rM&feature=related[/youtube]

[youtube]http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=z3rhVKn_4CE&feature=related[/youtube]

[youtube]http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx2i8iGoBH8&feature=related[/youtube]

Also, feel free to discuss if you saw it in theatres...Did you love it/hate it/obsessed with RENT regardless?

2. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    ...After seeing the movie, I can't stand anyone but Anthony Rapp in the part of Mark. Bleh...

3. musicgirl112233

I love the movie. I have never seen the musical, but I have the soundtrack and I know every song.

4. BeautifulStranger

Rent needs to lay down and die...

They've gotten the point across... Longest running show in Broadway history...

I pretty much hate it because they destroyed 'La Boheme' which I absolutely adore.

5. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Seventh. The Phantom of the Opera, Cats, Les Miserables, A Chorus Line, O Calcutta, and Beauty and the Beast have all be running longer than RENT.

And as much as I love RENT, I don't think anyone will ever be able to perform it as well as the original cast. Replacing Joanne and Mimi for the movie was fine. Replacing the entire cast and bringing in young and unaccomplished actors and rearranging everything and milking the cow until its brains squeeze out is too much. Everyone who wants to see it has seen it, and the message is getting worn out now. Broadway needs to write up a new AIDS-is-bad musical.

6. RENThead

rents last show should have been OBC, and the same style as they did for RENT10 (the 10 year anniversry - they had OBC, sometimes with scripts if they needed, but it was them)

and they should have closed it on the same day it opened.... the day that Johnathan larson died.

tho im so hoping the final show comes out on dvd....

7. davo-man

Hmm, I disagree. I think that the OBC has had it's time. Like, Daphne's voice is definately not what it used to be (and she's sadly not got the best ass below 14th street anymore). I just think it's better having the fresher voices :slight_smile: Plus, Adam Kantor is totally hot :grin:

Also, as for it coming out on DVD...that's what this thread is about. It's coming out on Feb 3rd next year :grin: Joy for that! Also, it's gunna have plenty of special features, so woot!

EDIT: That said, I truly loved the 10th Anniversary and often watch it on YouTube. I absolutely love Fredi and her voice. It's fantastic!

8. Amy

Amy

I think I had some sort of orgasm when I saw it in theatres. I cried when Mimi died, too. And moo-ed. And sang.

9. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    But...but...

10. Amy

Amy

I hated most of the costuming. ESPECIALLY Mimi's.