1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marvel AND DC... and Others

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by White Knight, May 3, 2015.

1. White Knight

No. This isn't that other thread that make you pick one. This one is about your top 5 heroes from each company.

As a bonus if you can/want add 5 other comic characters/heroes.

Will post my faves later as I need to think for some time.

2. LakanLunti

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    1. Groot (Marvel)
    - Do I need to explain why I like Groot? Ok, if you dont know me that well yet... Groot is the Golgari of the Marvel Universe. Solemn yet destructive when agitated. Plus, Groot is also very protective. And once you have formed a bond with Groot, it will be forever :slight_smile:
    [​IMG]

2. Poison Ivy (DC)
    -She is not considered a hero tho, but for me she is the hero of nature and plant life <3 She's definitely no. 2 in my list because of her LOVE and PASSION for nature, which something we both have. I also love her very deadly abilities.
    [​IMG]

3. Beastboy (DC)
    - I LOVE his fun and outgoing personality (atleast that is what shown in the cartoon Teen Titans)! His abilities are also cool! Of all characters in the comics, he is the only one whom I would date and consider being my boyfriend :lol:
    [​IMG]

The last two are in no particular order, I cant rate them. I both love them equally...

Nightcrawler (Marvel)
    - One of my favorite X-Men. His quirky attitude is something I really admire. Plus, I love it how, in the movies, they showed a Christian mutant. And his abilities <3 <3 <3
    [​IMG]

Storm (Marvel)
    - She has one of the best backstory, IMO, in all comic characters. She is very underrated, they should have made a movie of her instead of Wolverine.
    [​IMG]

3. Jakob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    DC

1. Booster Gold
    2. Rorschach
    3. Jonah Hex
    4. John Constantine
    5. The Flash (Wally West)

Marvel

1. War Machine
    2. Shadowcat
    3. Colossus
    4. Gambit
    5. Quicksilver

Other

1. Hellboy

4. White Knight

I will pass DC and Marvel fast as everyone knows how they look more or less.

MARVEL
    1- Captain America/Steve Rogers
    2- Black Cat
    3- Night Crawler
    4- Invisible Woman
    5- Sandman

DC
    1- Wonder Woman
    2- Booster Gold
    3- Flash (Wally West)
    4- Batman
    5- Prometheus

Now fun part... the others
    1- Lucky Luke
    [​IMG]
    2- Zembla
    [​IMG]
    3- Asterix
    [​IMG]
    4- Diabolik
    [​IMG]
    5- Cat Claw
    [​IMG]

5. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Marvel

Blink
    [​IMG]

Why?:
    Her attitude towards life, and the powers. If you want the short and quick.

I also dig the color scheme.

Chamber
    [​IMG]

Why?:
    To realize the central conflict to Chamber, you have to understand his situation:

Chamber possesses incredible psionic power. He's someone to envy, if you're into mental-related super powers. His power is so great, it blew off everything from his mouth down to mid-chest, leaving him unable to talk and with a less-than-attractive exterior.

Thankfully, he can project his thoughts onto others, allowing him to communicate. However, he'll never be able to kiss, speak aloud, or have anyone really touch him unrestricted. His body is psionic energy, providing the moral question of: is he a human or just living energy?

Naturally, this, on top of all the stuff the X-Men deal with, makes him a jaded but interesting character, who doesn't respond or perceive like many others.

The Hulk
    [​IMG]

Why?:
    My favorite Avenger, and the standard of which I scale raw physical power. For me, at least. Despite the Hulk's incredible (I'm so clever) power, he deals with something many people can relate to: anger.

While most of us may throw objects or say something mean, and that can weigh heavily, Bruce Banner has to work double duty to make sure, he doesn't lose control -- or else who knows what could happen?

He fits the "With Great Power Comes Great Responsibility" better than Spiderman, I think.

Personally dealing with anger, I can really relate to Banner's struggle. It is also cathartic watching the Hulk being necessary, actually wanted for his abilities, as he can really cut loose and do good.

There's also the bonus of Bruce Banner. He has one of the finest minds in the Marvel Universe, so fine, he is respected by the likes of the Fantastic Four and even villains like Dr. Doom. I find the idea of a nerd being the epitome of jock-like power, hilarious, too.

Quicksilver
    [​IMG]

Why?:
    Three reasons:

- He's a speedster.
    - His personality is interesting, as it goes from smart ass to complex, as quickly as him.
    - He's the son of Magneto, one of the most revered individuals in the Marvel Universe.

Seeing Pietro grow up as he did, which is a very unorthodox upbringing, especially if you read the Ultimate universe comics (actually don't... there's... some bizarre relations), and then being employed by Magneto, is interesting to watch. To watch him turn on his father, to pursue a more questionably good path makes for good reading.

He is always weighing the greater good vs family obligation, and that makes him a fascinating character, to me.

Magneto
    [​IMG]

Why?:
    Many people would consider Magneto a villain. And they would be right, he does lean that direction more often than not. But Magneto is the villain the heroes need, because he typically handles the most problematic areas to the pacifist dream, the most staunch and extreme resistance.

Personally, I see him as an indirect hero. Possibly even anti-hero material.

Magneto does what needs to be done, paying little heed to 'right' or 'wrong'. He sees it as either 'success is survival' or 'failure is annihilation'. There will never be another Auschwitz, for him or his followers.

I'd speak a bit more, but that will come, another day... *spoiler*

To be continued, with DC Comics...

#5 Kaiser, May 4, 2015
    Last edited: May 4, 2015
  6. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    1. Hawkeye
    2. Quicksilver
    3. Batman
    4. Captain America
    5. Groot

7. That one guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    DC
    Constantine
    Shazam
    Atrocitus
    Anti-monitor
    Darkseid

Marvel
    Captain Britan
    Collosus
    Magik
    Thanos
    Beta-Ray Bill

8. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I just read movies and watch video games, I don't play comics. I'm also not gonna be all fancy and put gifs or anything cause I'm lazy and I did that last time. Anyway, here are my opinions

Marvel:

1 - Charles Xavier. He's a professor, a Civil rights leader, and Patrick Stewart all at the same time. He is my complete idea of what a real hero is.

2 - Magneto. He's my favorite villain, I'll call him a villain since that's usually what he is in most of the movies, which is what I'm most familiar with him in. The interesting part of him is the anti-hero side and his history with Charles. Even when his writing isn't the strongest "I won't ever let Auschwitz happen to my people! Go ahead and kill all humans though, who cares about them anyway" he'll always have 1 of the most badass superpowers ever thought of to fall back on. This scene where he uses them is the best thing ever

3 - Doctor Strange, the sorcerer supreme. I actually don't know anything about him other than he's awesome, and was my favorite character in Marvel Ultimate Alliance

4 - Storm. Mostly for the powers, the Halle Berry portrayal was pretty lacking in... nearly everything else lol. But from what I understand she has an interesting backstory as an orphan and a former thief. I agree with whoever said she'd make a more interesting solo movie than Wolverine in some other thread.

5 - Mystique. Deep character handled with just the right amount of subtlety to make her awesome. (at least Until First Class ruined everything, she may as well have MUTANT PRIDE! Tattooed in rainbow colors on her forehead ala Suisquad Joker in that movie)

So one thing I love about Mystique is she has a power she could use to design her own personal dream-body in a second if she wanted, an ability alot of people would kill to have. She doesn't do that though, she shows the world her true body and has zero fucks to give for anyone who has a problem with it. That is badass. I'll always love her best in X2 because that movie explains this aspect of her personality perfectly without a single line of dialogue required. Though there's one thing she says, I think to stryker, that is somewhat related and adds even more to her character. "People like you are the reason I used to be afraid to go to school." Subtle. Meaningful. Awesome. It gives you the impression that a difficult and painful childhood shaped her from a defenseless victim of hatred and abuse into the kickass mutant assassin we know her. This gives her depth and makes her more empathetic, and likeable, even if she is misguided and it isn't always clear where her real loyalties lie. Ultimately I think there's good in Mystique, but she's a complicated character with a complicated story and complicated views within the gray area between right and wrong and that's what I like about her.

6 - Gambit. Can you tell I like the X men? Any of them honestly fit the bill at this point, Cyclops, Iceman, Colossus, Quicksilver, Rogue, Nightcrawler, all awesome. Anyway I went with Gambit cause I think his powers are the most visually interesting and for general Cajun charm.

7 - Phil Coulson. The true hero of the 1st Avengers movie.

8 - Spiderman. A character I know has a lot of potential... but they still haven't really got him right in the movies yet. Despite being super popular and obvious he's on my list because Spiderman's the hero I relate to, all the other big heroes like Iron Man is a billionare CEO, Captain America fought in WWII... bruce banner is a genius scientist.. but Peter Parker's just an ordinary Kid who has to deal with ordinary kid things and also superhero things. He also has my favorite set of Villains in the Marvel Universe Including my next choice..

9 - Green Goblin. He's like Marvel's version of the Joker, but with superhuman intellegence and endurance which makes him much more of a threatening hand to hand combatant. He also has pumpkin bombs and that kick ass glider among other fun gadgets. Honestly I just really love Willem Defoe's performance as him in the 1st Sam Raimi Spiderman.

10 - Venom/The Symbiote. Man I'd love to see them get Venom right in the movies but I'm not holding my breath. Even better would be Carnage who's just a more over the top and deadly version of venom.

11 - Deadpool... I guess. But it really depends on who's writing him. Depending on the author he can be an interesting character or he can just be plain annoying. I really don't think he's terribly clever and I much prefer his DC counterpart, but I like his backstory and his mental instability, I know there's a good story in deadpool somewhere.

12 - Black Panther. This is a character I don't know much about but am strongly interested in seeing more of. I'm super hype for Marvel Studios Black Panther even though it got pushed back another several years I really hope it does well. I just think the idea of a Superhero who's also the King of his whole country is awesome. Bonus points from inspiring his design from a big cat ^_^

ok theres more but thats enough from marvel, DC will be a shorter list, but I have more to say about them..

1 - Batman. Yeah, I'm sure no one saw that coming. Well he is a good character, and the only mainstream DC character to have a set of movies that were actually good so far. However unlike Most of the marvel characters I listed above the Movies are not my favorite portrayal of Batman and I do have more exposure to the character from other things. See Batman has 1 thing that no other superhero has a real equivalent to yet and that's the Arkham Asylum series. He also has the animated series which gave us Kevin Conroy, who, himself, is one of my favorite things about Batman. Just his voice, it's awesome. Aside from that you have a very mortal and human character (since hes popular he's become god tier over the years to compete with superman and the like, but he's better when he's flawed and human) with a tragic backstory that's compelling even though I've seen it told 12073.5 times already. He also has the most interesting and fucked up rogues gallery in all of comics. All his villains challenge him and impact on him in different ways. The most notable is the Joker who challenges his Morality and Sanity but you also have characters like Mr. Freeze and Poison Ivy who challenge his Humanity, Scarecrow who challenges him Psychologically, Riddler who challenges him mentally and Bane who challenges him physically and just about every other way. The interesting part of batman is normally watching him deal with those concepts while fighting for his life and also being just a guy in a suit at the end of the day. On the other hand, seeing him interact with other members of the justice league, and superpowered villains in the stories where he's more god tier, can also be interesting.

2 - Rorschach, from Watchmen. Rorschach is interesting because he's a realistic version of what a character like Batman would be like in our world... a total fucking psycho. He started out with a similar code of morals, beating criminals and handing them into the authorities but after enough encounters with absolute scum, murderers, pedophiles, rapists, etc he snapped and finally said fuck it I'll just start killing them. Rorschach's method of fighting crime is... effective, it's anything but heroic, and while it's nearly impossible to even consider him a hero in the traditional sense (he's more of an anti hero or even an anti villain..) it is his absolute dedication to his morals and his sense of justice that is admirable.. even if his sense of justice is, well, murder. He's intentionally flawed and morally ambiguous in many ways like most of the characters in Watchmen and that along with his ridiculously cool outfit is what makes him one of my favorite super...anti-heroes.

3 - Deathstroke - An Assassin with superhuman physical and mental
    enhancements, everything about him is honestly cool. And he's the character almost everything about Deadpool is directly stolen from! The Teen Titans TV show re-imagined him as a darker and more psychological character which may be my favorite version of him simply because Ron Perlman's Deathstroke voice is just too cool.

4 - The Joker - I think I've already said everything there is to say about this character.. just check any existing thread that has his name on it, lol.

5 - Mr Freeze - Batman's most tragic villain. It's hard not to at least feel bad for him, and he has a..... cool gimmick with his suit and various cryo-gadgets. He might be my favorite batman villain in terms of his design and overall presentation. It's tough to chose just one though.

6 - Sinestro - He's an evil green lantern and he rules his own planet. And he's fun to use in Injustice

7 - Darkseid - Darkseid is just the coolest, and I'm tired so my post is finished now

#8 kageshiro, May 4, 2015
    Last edited: May 4, 2015
  9. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Heroes, Kageshiro, not anybody! LOL.

Don't open the flood gates!

10. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I don't care.

11. CandyKing

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Heroes are villains that haven't turn yet, plus how would you feel if a so called heroes came crashing into your house crushing you and your family. Cause I imagine that happens a lot.

12. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    SSR.Carter. Why? Because I like her. Period.

[​IMG]

13. BlueMetalWave

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Not sure if it's okay to revive threads but I love comics so here it goes:

Marvel:

1. Cyclops
    Cyclops is my favorite by far. I really admire his leadership skills and how he never hesitated to do everything that it took to preserve the mutant race after M-Day. He did a lot of things the others may have judged such as having a killer squad, raising Asteroid-M from the bottom of the ocean and taking the fight to the Avengers but if mutants are extinct it's all thanks to him. Even if the others see him as wrong.

2. Rogue
    Rogue went through hell and back with her powers. Going from never being able to touch others, to losing them and then regaining them, spending a time with perfect control only to lose it all again. I really admire her for being so strong and enduring all this and still come out as the nice girl she is.

3. Magneto
    Magneto is one the best villains if not the best in comic history. His ways are violent but it only results from all of the trauma he suffered. In the end he always did what was best for mutant kind in his eyes. No matter how much he lost he would always get back up to fulfill his dream, the one to have mutants be in peace no matter the cost. All of which makes him so complex and delightful to read.

4. Storm
    Is there anyone that doesn't love Storm? Not only is she the most amazing black female super-hero, her powers are awesome and she is just as reliable as Cyclops when it comes to leading. She has been many things in her life and all just served to make her stronger and a better person. She is a fantastic role model.

5. Colossus
    Colossus is a kind soul. He joined the X-Men to protect those he loved and to make the world a better place. He has suffered so much loss but he still remained one of the kindest of them. He is just adorable, I just think he needs to start thinking a bit more on his own instead of having others deciding things for him.

DC:

1. Harley Quinn
    2. Green Arrow
    3. Aquaman
    4. Zatanna
    5. The Flash

14. LakanLunti

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  15. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not going to claim to know loads about and have thorough knowledge about the characters in Marvel and DC (I mostly only know about Marvel at the moment)

But:

Hawkeye (both Clint and Kate)
    Storm (I don't actually know a ton about her but she seems SUPER awesome from what I do know)
    Peggy Carter. I love her.
    Black Widow
    Quicksilver

My opinion may change later as I actually get to reading more comics...but here it is so far :slight_smile: