1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BATMAN! ('Cause I'm a cool cat)

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by OneHatMadder, Nov 26, 2008.

1. OneHatMadder

Hello kiddies!

I've been thinking over the past few days about the next Batman movie (If there will BE one) and casting for roles- particularly the villains. I've put together a small list of actors who have been rumoured or who other people think could play them. What do YOU think?

Penguin: Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Bob Hoskins
    Riddler: Johnny Depp, Edward Norton, Crispen Glover
    Catwoman: Angelina Jolie, Rosario Dawson, Anne Hathaway, Cher
    Poison Ivy: Scarlett Johansen
    Mad Hatter: Steve Buscemi, Guy Pearce, Johnny Depp
    Mr. Freeze: Ben Kingsly
    Bane: David Batista
    Ventriloquist: David Hyde Peirce

Anyone else you think could be possible?

2. davo-man

Well, I'm personally hoping they do a Riddler one, but sort of make him into a Jigsaw-esque serial killer (possibly on a major scale...like taking entire buildings to ransom) where everyone has a chance to survive...they just have to figure out the way...or something like that :wink:

However, I really wouldn't want a big, well known star playing him. I reckon it would be easier for Nolan (Yes, I'm praying that he directs again) to mould someone a little less known into his vision of the villain.

Also, Catwoman could be a really interesting character as well...As long as they don't effing get Halle Berry anywhere near it :grin: On that note, I think Rosario Dawson is too much in the Halle Berry vein and I really want the character to go in a different direction. I actually think the rumour about Cher would be really interesting and certainly be a huge deviation from the orig character. Anne Hathaway, though, would be my major pick out of those four, simply because she has the amazing ability to look sweet and innocent, but I can imagine her kicking butt :grin:

Anyway, I know it's not me directing (only in my dreams :grin:) but that would be awesome to see on the big screen :grin:

3. kramer362

I could easily see all of those people in the roles, but the franchise is taking a very unconventional route. Remember the initial reaction to casting Heath Ledger as the Joker? People were dumbfounded and thought it was a terrible choice. Now he's probably going to get an oscar nomination and people are calling him the best villain since Hannibal Lector.

I think if Nolan directs a third movie it's going to be either someone we've barely heard of or someone we would never expect for the role. Either way they're doing a fantastic job of casting all the (male) roles. I think if the Dark Knight weren't a comic book film then Gary Oldman and Aaron Eckhart would be considered for an oscar nomination as well. It's too bad they won't, because they both gave me chills.:confused:

4. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I must be the only person in the world hoping for a Black Mask in the next Nolan movie:

[​IMG]

The execs have already said they would rather not use villains that have been in previous movies, meaning Freeze and Catwoman and Penguin and the like. Black Mask is a villain with no superhuman powers but is great at intimidation, like the previous Nolan villains were. The only thing I'm worried about is his heavy involvement with Catwoman in the comics - bringing in Black Mask would almost necessitate the inclusion of Catwoman, who I'd really rather not see in film again after Halle Berry's performance.

5. OneHatMadder

Well since I'm a bit of a Batman geek I read someone really wanting Black Mask to be in it.

They wanted Black Mask to be a kingpin type character and have control. This person wrote a whole synopsis including Black Mask, Catwoman, Mad Hatter... I think Riddler is in there somewhere.

It sounded quite good but
    I always thought Black Mask was more of a...I dunno... Just not mastermind type material.

I'd LOVE to see Mad Hatter done! And I would love to see Poison Ivy done WELL!

I think it's sad that because of the uber-realism in this franchise we probably won't see a Killer Croc, Man-Bat or Clayface but I dunno.

Also: Who (If anyone) do you think could fill Heath Ledgers clown shoes? Since The Joker is so important to Batman should they have the character again or just leave it with Heath?

6. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Just drop it. Don't try to write him off as being in Arkham or dead or something, don't call in Johnny Depp or someone to try and mimic Ledger's creation, just move on to someone else. Like the Black Mask.

7. BeautifulStranger

Are you saying Uma Thurman didn't do a good job?
    I find Uma to be a fabulous actress. She shows a huge variety of range.

She went from Beatrix Kiddo in 'Kill Bill', a woman who can kick anyone's ass, to Ulla Inka Hanson Benson Yanson Tallen Hallen Swadon Swanson in 'The Producers', a woman who really had no idea what was going on most of the time.
    And even better, her performances are believable.

8. riddlerno1

i definitly think they should have the riddler and catwoman in the next one....but maybe not to hollywoodise it too much by having someone really famous playing those roles. Would angelina even have been name dropped for it if the other films werent such a success. I dont think so. But definitly need to make them intresting and complex characters like ledgers joker was. and really evil.

9. BeautifulStranger

Hmm, on the topic for Catwoman, I'd love to see Christina Aguilera do it...

It sorta just occured to me. But she would be sexy as hell.
    Everything about Xtina is sexy... Her voice, her body, her eyes, EVERYTHING.

And if anyone has seen her infamous SNL 'Sex and the City' skit, she can act too.

10. OneHatMadder

Oooh! Don't get my wrong! I LOVE Uma! She is an amazing actress! (Kill Bill and The Producers being my favourites! Haha) however I just didn't like the way she portrayed Ivy. I'm sure that she did the best job she could considering the script and the director

11. Jerr

Agree.

Riddler is my all time favorite ever. Mad Hatter is close.

As far as Riddler goes... I don't know who'd I want... I don't know who I could accept... Weirdly enough, I liked Jim Carrey as him... I think it worked well but I don't think Jim could pull off the DARK DARK DARK hopes that I would have for a Riddler. (Like do the change that Heath did for the Joker.)

Thinking back on it I wouldn't rule out Depp for it... He can do creepy happy and dark... so Willy Wonka with his puzzling mind focused on crime? Yesh, I'd go for that.

As far as Hatter goes.... I like Steve Buscemi... Something about him seems like he'd do an ok job... but that's just out of the list you gave me.

I like Rosario as a choice for Catwoman. I liked the IDEA of Berry being Catwoman but I don't think it came off... right... I think Rosario has a look I LIKE for Catwoman but could do a different job then Berry had done.

12. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't think I could have Rosario Dawson as Catwoman without expecting her to start pole-dancing and blowing out candles.

13. Jerr

Well, the hetero boys wouldn't get that impression...

14. davo-man

I personally didn't like Uma Thurman in that role (Apart from that film, I think she's done some excellent films, Kill Bill being one of them). As one critic said "like Mae West, she mixes true femininity with the winking womanliness of a drag queen", which I tend to agree with. I dunno, I just think she was too over the top, campy...which I guess is prob the director/scriptwriter's fault.

Anyway, I definately think Poison Ivy (done well) would be a really interesting choice for the villainess

Also, about the Joker returning, I think if they wanted to do any scenes with him, he should be locked up in Arkhum, but you can only see his his silhouette or something, and only hear his voice. That way, it's not like people are trying to imitate Heath, cos that would be pretty hard.

15. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Or we get a newspaper headline about the Joker going to Arkham. Which explodes early on in the movie.

Really, I just can't see anyone trying to imitate Ledger's Joker after having seen it. I would rather them find some way to write him out of the movies without hiring someone new to mimic him.