1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Supergirl TV Show

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by MisterTinkles, May 14, 2015.

1. MisterTinkles

So............what do YOU think?

So far, from what I have read, online comments have been ripping this show to shreds.

[YOUTUBE]Lm46-envrHo[/YOUTUBE]

2. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

The special effects look fine, but... that hipster vibe is all over this.

I understand DC's marketing strategy here, they're trying to grab the youth and young adults. They'll get the hardcore comic book fans, at least in the beginning.

I don't expect much.

3. Gen

Gen

The general consensus seems to be that she is too girly, emotional, etc; which falls in line with the stereotypes that people assume directors would fall back on if more female superhero movies were attempt.

Here is my problem with that: Adequate representation of women as heroes or major protagonist is not to fall back on masculine archetypes. When I used to run a literary blog, I admittedly ripped into a popular novel in a review because it was being regarded as this feminist work because the heroine was irrationally violent and emotionless. Now, I am all for brutality in fantasy fiction; however, irrational brutality is not a win for female empowerment.

Tossing out a female superhero that abides by hypermasculine perceptions of a hero, has the emotional range of a cinder block, and uses romantic interests simply as plot points is not a win for feminism. A step in the right direction for portrayals of both men and women is combating this idea that emotion and femininity are signs of weakness; not attempting to make women out to be strong or revolutionary only when not displaying those characteristics.

All that aside, I won't be watching it, but that is purely a matter of taste.

4. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I liked the old Wonder Woman show better.

5. acciocarrie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Whoever decided it was a good idea to release this so soon after SNL's 'Black Widow' trailer/sketch should be ashamed of themselves...
    [YOUTUBE]j_5KgpN38hM[/YOUTUBE]

Maybe the show will be better than the trailer but I doubt it.

6. White Knight

Is that Calista Flockhart? The one who looks like copying "Devil wears Prada Streep"...

I love Flockhart but that was just cheap.

Show seems okay but I would prefer Smallvile Kara.

7. Richie.

I think it looks awesome can't wait!

8. MisterTinkles

Yeah!!!

The show may have been "comic booky", but she didn't put up with nobody's shit!!!
    Especially a mans!!!

[​IMG]

9. starlights

Out Status:
    A few people
    I love it!!!

The trailer, at least. I'm definitely going to give the show a shot, and I never watch network TV. I think she's super cute, not just physically but in demeanor, and I love how she's not all hypersexualized with ridiculous boob armor or wearing nothing but a thong like pretty much every female superhero drawn by pervy guys. (Psylocke from X-Men, I'm looking at you!)

She looks like a superhero, not a stripper, and that's a GOOD thing! :icon_bigg

10. MisterTinkles

Yeah, I will probably watch three episodes. I usually give a show three episodes to enthrall me. If not, I go find something else.

I get the distinct feeling that this show is geared towards little girls.