1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Horror Movies...

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Steele, May 17, 2015.

?

Do you like horror movies?

1. Yes

55.3%
  2. No

18.4%
  3. Some of them

23.7%
  4. Don't care

2.6%
  1. Steele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What do you guys think of horror movies? Do you like them? If yes, what are some of your favorite horror movies?

For me, The Blair Witch Project, The Silence of the Lambs, and Alien would probably be my top three.

What about you guys?

2. Just1Dude

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I LOVE me some horror movies. Even those horrible corny B horror movies, those are just great.

There are way too many to name, but I like Child's Play, Evil Dead, Halloween, ...actually just list them all for me!

Kind of on the same subject, I am stoked about the new IT coming out. Stoked and nervous!

3. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can only watch them with other people, not by myself. I like occasionally being scared in a controlled environment :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I owe you a more lengthy response, but I wanted to get this out there...

The 2000s started mixing up Horror with gore. While before you'd have a stupid plot, there was something there, between the kills or the scares. Now, everything seems to revolve around the gore, and setting up for it. The new trend appears to be all these haunted/possession movies, which I find, almost always, boring. However, they seem to be getting away from that gore-only mentality, so I'll tolerate this.

That said, the 1990s tend to be idealized by many nostalgic individuals, but they played a role in this too. Early into the 1990s, Jason and Freddy were done away with, and Michael Myers followed shortly afterwards. Everybody believed the Horror genre was dead, and then came along Scream. Brilliant movie for it's time, but it would start a snowball of people wanting to cash in on pseudo-intellectual Horror films, which would lead into a more psychological heavy emphasis which, sadly, turned into suspense-and-torture scenarios.

Jaws and Aliens are definitely up there. I also have a soft spot for the Elm Street series.

The Living Dead films are great too, if you exclude anything after Day of the Dead.

5. MisterTinkles

I'm picky about movies.

I'm more for scifi and fantasy than horror, but I do like horror movies with good characters in them.

Freddie Kreuger - Nightmare on Elm Street series
    Doctor Phibes - The Abominable Doctor Phibes (2 movies)

Brahm Stokers Dracula

Fright Night (the original)

The Hellraiser series

Aliens is considered "horror"???? Wow, ok.

Poltergeist

American Werewolf in London

Altered States

The Fly (Jeff Goldblum)

Gremlins is considered "horror" also???? Wow, ok.

Childs Play series

Class of 1984

Darkness Falls

Jack Frost

House of a 1,000 Corpses (excellent)

The Cabin in The Woods

6. Steele

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, I hate movies with excessive blood and gore. I'm fine with blood and gore as long as it's necessary and not just in there for the shock value. But after a certain point, it just gets obnoxious and takes away from the scariness of horror films.

7. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

The reason "Aliens" is considered Horror is due to the first film and the third, and how it is in the middle. While it does fall into the Action and Sci-Fi genres as well and more so, there are still elements of Horror to it. They're just not as dominant as in Alien or Alien 3.

As for Gremlins, it's a Comedy Horror. There's violence, creatures causing a problem, and the Gremlins design isn't exactly cute and cuddly.

Wait a minute...

Jack Frost? You mean that movie about the killer snowman?!

8. MisterTinkles

9. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Wow...

For years, I believed I was the only one who had seen those films. But now I know, another soul has.

I can't get over the carrot-rape scene, or the kid putting anti-freeze in his father's lunch box, in the first film. The second film knows how ridiculous it is, which is why I found it a little more amusing. And the detective-agent-whatever guy with the eye-patch, in the second film, is just LOLzy...

And Captain Fun...

10. MisterTinkles

It's been a LOOOONG time since I've seen them. I don't remember much about them, other than they are so ludicrous, I love them.

Another ludicrous horror movie I love.....

[​IMG]

It's craptastic fun!!!!!!

11. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

MisterTinkles, if you saw my Horror DVD collection, I am quite sure you would be impressed. I own a lot of "bad" Horror movies, along with ones I like, many of which you have mentioned.

12. MisterTinkles

Mister Tinkles is curious.....

[​IMG]

My video collection has dwindled over the years, cause I've had to sell off a lot of stuff to pay bills. I have one small box of DVD's.

13. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Bad habits have allowed me, over the years, to accumulate an impressive Horror library. While I don't steal anymore, I'll admit, probably about 40% of my DVD collection is a result of that. But this was years ago.

I own the classic Universal series, like Dracula, the Wolfman, Frankenstein, even the Hammer films with Christopher Lee. I have cult films like I Spit On Your Grave, the well-known series like Friday the 13th and A Nightmare on Elm Street, "bad" movies like Killer Klowns From Outer Space and Jack Frost.

To give you an idea of the amount I own, I had to buy 4 of those CD case holders, which have 100 places. Of those 4, 3 are full, and the 4th is about halfway. That's nearly 350 DVDs, though some of them are bonus discs (special features, etc), so that number is probably closer to, say, 300.

14. MisterTinkles

I have "I Spit On You Grave", the VHS original cut.
    I like the new ones too, they are pretty damned good. Well, I haven't seen the sequel one to the new remake yet........but as soon as RedBox has it available............

I like a lot of the originals too........Bella Lugosi, Christopher Lee, Boris Karloff, Vincent Price, Lon Chaney, Claude Rains, Peter Cushing, Basil Rathbone, Peter Lorre.............

I think my fav "horror" movie when I was little was ....

[​IMG]

When I was little, I think I kinda had a "thing" for Claude Rains....and James Mason.

15. Justinian20

I know some bad horror movies what about many of the movies by Ed Wood, I would want to watch the movies made by Ed Wood just for the fact that even though his movies were bad, he just kept on going and creating all his films of which many are meant to be horror. I've always liked horror movies and it is one of my favourite film genres among the thriller, as I really always rooted for the bad guy when I was younger and the bad guy was always more interesting in personality. (Freddy Krueger: one of my favourite horror characters). I do like some recent horror especially ones that don't use the cliché demon but rather a creature that is unique such as a evil children's book character. I never watched horror for plot, I watched it for the evil personalities of the specific characters and only now can actually root for the good guys. (only because the bad guys never have the personality any more, they lost it). Wes Craven is a master of the horror movie genre, he made a lot of significant horror villains that I liked, I wish he would make another horror series as I could see another brilliant character created from his mind.

#15 Justinian20, May 17, 2015
    Last edited: May 17, 2015
  16. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm a complete scaredy-cat when it comes to horror. Even if I have never seen a certain movie, just hearing about it from people gives me month-long nightmares where I wake up drenched in sweat and crying.

Having said that, I have two exceptions: The Lost Boys and The Craft.

17. NamesNotJake

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I could go on for days but here are a few...

Halloween I and II (Originals)
    Saw I
    Poltergeist (WHYYYY ARE THEY REMAKING THIS?)
    It Follows
    All The Boys Love Mandy Lane
    Sinister
    Insidious
    Alien
    Let The Right One In
    REC
    The Babadook
    Texas Chainsaw Massacre (Original)
    Paranormal Activity I

#17 NamesNotJake, May 18, 2015
    Last edited: May 18, 2015
  18. wolf of fire

I love SAW
    A nightmare on elm street is good
    Halloween is also good
    Child's play
    Let the right one in and when the lights go out are good films
    I have to admit I don't get on with Rob Zombie films; his Halloween remakes were laughable at best stupid at worst, house of 1000 corpses made no sense, the devil's rejects was okay (I love the lines "Chinese, Japanese, dirty knees, look at these" and "tutti f*ucking fruity") but I won't be watching it again in a hurry
    I've watched a lot of b rated horror films that never deserve to see the light of day.

19. 42Bowties

Sssssssssaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwww

20. HugasaurusRex

LOVE horror! Nothing more relaxing than sitting watching a good horror! :grin: