1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Is So Good About Beyonce?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by ZenMusic, May 19, 2015.

1. ZenMusic

So I was watching this parody today [YOUTUBE]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0BYpjVO2XFI[/YOUTUBE] and I can honestly say I don't see the hype about Beyonce, I've never seen it, and I would shade her in a second. What I will say about her is that she has done extremely well for herself for someone who dropped out in the 9th Grade. I don't see how this justifies people calling her a queen and some of hee crazy fans tearing down anyone who isn't a fan of her or her music. Also, why does a conversation about her always lead to Aaliyah and vice versa? What I'm trying to say is what has she done to deserve this amount of fame? I'm honestly curious.

2. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am a little bit of a hypocrite, considering I obcess over a few singers, but what do most singers do to deserve such fame? I mean sure they sing but...

3. Yosia

Same question about any celebrity.

4. Sek

Sek

Oh gurl. I'm gonna have to write a (short) essay here.

It's the level of charisma and talent Beyoncé has. She puts 150% into everything she does, and she has really pushed the bar on performance and music.

My problem is that while people think she is overrated, I think she is actually underrated. The majority of people see her as this hyped up sex object who sings catchy pop music but in reality her talent and skill run a lot deeper.

In terms of singing technique, she has absolutely nailed it. A lyric coloratura mezzo soprano with excellent skill in belting, breath support, melisma, vibrato. Anything that Beyoncé has set her mind to achieve, she has. Not only that, she has demonstrated her ability to traverse through genres of music and find a place. From R&B and pop to musical theatre and soul, she has proved she can do it all.

Not only that, but she can write songs, dance, and act too. And she has proven her talent in these. Take a look at any song she has written, any performance involving choreography (I mean, take a look at her Glastonbury show. Her stamina is INCREDIBLE) and any movie she has performed in and she has done an excellent job.

There have been few others to have the charisma and talent Beyoncé possesses. She is a natural.

Her career has been nothing short of flawless. She has never gone off the rails with alcohol, drugs or anything stupid. She has never played a part in a project that has been completely shamed by critics. Beyoncé has taken every moment and made it polished and skillful.

It takes some understanding to truly appreciate the talent that is Beyoncé. You may think she just makes some catchy music but there's something a lot deeper.

Yet despite all this talent, success and wealth she is still ridiculously humble. No one that has ever met her has slandered her for being bitchy because she is so down to earth and sweet. Granted she did suffer with some bitchy moments during the first successes of destiny's child, but she was finding her feet as a diva. However, what I love about her is how endearingly innocent and playful her personality really is.

I could really write pages and pages on how talented and great she is but it's up to you to discover that for yourself.

If you're musically inclined or have knowledge of operatic terminology, this video might help you to start understanding her talent:

[YOUTUBE]jaN2TbWMvuw[/YOUTUBE]

5. ForeverLost

This is so funny because in class today, we were talking about how Beyonce is so overrated. She got the Vanguard award at the VMAs and she sang a whole medley of her songs and honestly, I was unimpressed... But I don't mind people that live in the "Beyhive" or whatever.

6. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

I'm not the biggest fan. In fact, I don't voluntarily listen to Beyonce.

However... I do think a lot of her hate is unfounded. Many folks seem to dislike her, because a very vocal portion of society dislikes her. They don't really have a reason.

I believe she can sing, but a lot of her songs don't impress or draw me in.

It is interesting, maybe just to me, that she seems lighter-skinned now than she did years ago. Make up is probably a large part of it, I assume.

If you asked me to name a vocalist better, in my opinion, than Beyonce, I'd say Mariah Carey in her 90s prime.

7. Sek

Sek

Totally agree, I don't think anyone can or will ever top Mariah Carey in '93-'96. Her performances at the NBC '93 Thanksgiving special, '95 Madison Square Garden and '96 Tokyo Dome are just groundbreaking. No one is worthy to ever slander Mariah's talent.

8. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I like her. :icon_sad:

9. LakanLunti

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    She's Irreplaceable

10. mangotree

I only like some of her songs when I'm drunk and in a mood to dance.

11. Gen

Gen

[YOUTUBE]CBIOgM5YpdI[/YOUTUBE]

[​IMG]

Edit: Ok, this video cannot be embedded, but it still links to Youtube.

12. ApexxShadow

yes omfg Beyonce is queen #SLAAY

13. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :lol: oh my god i love you

---

On the question of why she's so famed, my best guess is that she's just so damn graceful. In pop music today, there seems to be a battle of who can do the most shocking and offensive stunts for popularity. And then there's fucking Beyonce sitting up on her thrown, barely lifting a finger, and just winning all of our hearts with how classy she is. That said, her music isn't really for me :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

#13 Batman, May 19, 2015
    Last edited: May 19, 2015
  14. Gen

Gen

Not to mention, essentially this whole performance.

[YOUTUBE]aEf8DDrDyV0[/YOUTUBE]

And this one!

[YOUTUBE]nnReaaJwloI[/YOUTUBE]

See, what you have done, Zen? Now, I will have to keep flooding with thread with performance gems from the Queen Mother. What aren't you seeing?!?!?

15. Hiems

Omfg, when I initially saw the title of this thread, my first thought was "Gen is going to attack this thread with full throttle". Lo and behold, he does :lol:

16. kyfry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In the words of Beyonce " If you like it then you should have put a ring on it."

I have not and will not give Beyonce a ring.

17. Burnedcloset

What is not good about Beyoncè?

18. nohalos

HEY I WAS GONNA POST THAT VIDEO! (I shortened Sek's reply so mine doesn't look cluttered.) Anyway....

Sek wrote so much about that I can barely add more. LOL But tbh, once she stopped being managed by her dad, she found this freedom and she started ACTUALLY being an artist. Her last two albums, 4 and BEYONCE, have higher scores on Metacritic than all of her first 3 releases. What I liked about those two albums is that they were both very experimental, 4 having a retro sound and BEYONCE having a minimalistic theme.

Also, Beyonce is VOCALLY underrated. Everyone brushes her off because of her boring-ass tone, but technically speaking, she's brilliant. I think she might even be technically better than Whitney (but Whitney's voice is naturally prettier than Beyonce's). Her coloratura feats are unmatched in her generation, and to be honest, no one in Pop music really comes close. Have you even heard her covers of Etta James' songs for the soundtrack of Cadillac Records? They're AMAZING. Her material really barely shows enough of her capabilities because it's pop, pop can only be so complex for people to understand. Also, the girl has good ear for harmonization. I mean, her harmonies are simply the best! She does them herself, arranging and then singing them all. She has 4 octaves of goodness, and can sing from 2nd octave notes to 5th octave notes in full voice no problem, which shows why she doesn't run out of voice to harmonize with.

[YOUTUBE]wItifn_L0hM[/YOUTUBE]

Also, out of singers from her generation, she's the only one who didn't experience vocal decline, and actually did the opposite. She improved as she aged!

I'm a fan, but I do try to be realistic as much as I can. I think Destiny's Child was all about launching Beyonce's career. Beyonce made this too perfect persona, which barely shows any vulnerability, and I think that translates to people "being fake". Also, her songwriting creds are really questionable.

Finally, the thing I admire about Beyonce is that she knows how to perform. She has an amazing stage presence and she knows how to work the crowd. Remember when she headlined Glastonbury, which is mainly for rock bands? The bitch slayed and had the crowd on her hands like putty.

I'm gonna Sashay Away now but I'll leave this here.

[YOUTUBE]27geJE69W28[/YOUTUBE]

---------- Post added 20th May 2015 at 12:43 PM ----------

I have to add, this is the perfect thread for the Beyhive!

#18 nohalos, May 19, 2015
  19. AAASAS

Nothing, there are millions of people that can sing and dance as well as her, she is just one of chosen few to be collectively shoved down our throats by large records companies. She is in the money aspect of the music industry, so of course there isn't anything unique about her.

There are many other people that could take her place.

She's a good performer, and that's all she'll ever be. Gallagher was a good performer too.

Anyone that wants to argue I invite you to explore the world of the internet, where you will find many females with better voices, better moves, and more musical talent. Not knocking Beyonce, but the West or the World now it seems, likes to just select a few people to worship for their artistic talents. I don't even know if Beyonce could be considered an artist, does she creatively control all her work? I doubt it.

Goapele has a very similar; I'd say better, voice than Beyonce, she writes all her own music, though she is partially famous, she never gained Beyonce status? Why? Because again it's all about creating a brand in Western music industry, you hype one person up to demi-god status to try and siphon as much money as you can from the general public.

Goapele is beautiful but she isn't as gorgeous as Beyonce, which is a factor too, a lot of people are brainwashed by her beauty. If she was ugly and had the same talents nobody would give a fuck, which shows you it's all a giant joke and not about the music or talent.

[youtube]w_BNXqpdBTg[/youtube]

#19 AAASAS, May 19, 2015
  20. Gen

Gen

I have always found these types of views tiring. It has nothing to do with the fact that I am clearly a fan of Beyonce and everything to do with the fact that there is always this level of pretension surrounding talent.

J.K. Rowling is not the best living author. Steven Spielberg is not the best director. Stephen Hawkings is not the most brilliant academic. Popular actors are not the most talented actors. The list goes on. The idea that success should inherently go to the most subjectively talented individual in any craft is the most asinine idea that far too many of us have grown to accepted.

No known artist, author, director, actor, intellectual, etc, "deserves" to be number one on any chart. None of us have heard even a fraction of the most talented people on this planet. Success is about opportunity and whether or not we choose to seize it. It isn't always fair. It isn't always equal. Sometimes the world favors certain sounds, art, content, literature, etc, than others. What is art is not limited to what the populous favors, but what the populous favors is very influential in terms of success. No one needs to be at the top. No one deserves to be at the top. It is only by nature of business that a set of people always will; however, all of these debates about who is undeserving because "this person can hit that note" or "this person is successful because they produce mainstream music" have to end someday.

Of course, the praise Beyonce receives is ridiculous, but it is not because of who she is or what she is capable. It is because she is no less a human being than the rest of us. Someone who has talents that quite a number of other people have. This, however, will forever be the case. No matter who is among the top. Even the lesser known artists and creators that we all know and love. It is not a reason to start dismissing talent and success left and right.