1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Underrated or Unappreciated Sequels

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Kaiser, May 21, 2015.

1. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Is there a sequel to any book/movie/game, that you feel is equal to the original? Is it at least not deserving of the criticism or neglect it receives?

Discuss and share.

inb4 Alien 3.

2. Sienrar

Skyrim, sort of. It is very popular but gets lots of criticism from fans of the older Elder Scrolls games. Although they make good points, Skyrim is still a fantastic game.

3. Im Just Me

I feel I am completely alone in this boat, but I adore Lion King 2. I think it's an amazing movie with enjoyable music, charming characters, and a good story that didn't feel too forced, the way a lot of sequels do. Though it wasn't a necessary sequel, I think it's a great one.

4. Sienrar

Sequels are almost never necessary, but I still love 'em.

5. ms24601

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I love Lion King 2, in fact, I prefer it over the first movie, We Are One is one of my favorite Disney songs.

6. Jellal

I love Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End. The critics can take a backwards fucking flip off a diving board for all I care, it was a marvelous adventure piece with such a roaring good soundtrack, creative set design, funny dialogue and slapstick comedy that I felt it far eclipsed the other movies in the franchise.

7. White Knight

Just to give Kaiser a heart attack...

JAWS 3 :grin:

Not really a squel but I know most people think Hobbit series are inferior to LotR trilogy while I think just the opposite. Compared to Hobbit movies, LotR ones can be boring at times.

I read on the net also Star Trek relaunch, especially Into the Darkness also viewed very negatively... I love that movie. Bromance between Kirk and Spock rocks. :grin:

8. Nekoko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Return to Oz, that movie was quite possibly the most amazing thing ever done with the Wizard of Oz series and few people even know it exists. I adore that film, it's dark, scary and very cool movie, that leaves you with some serious questions.... It's the absolute best anything I've ever seen done with Oz!

9. Sek

Sek

Shrek 2 was way better than the first one IMO!

10. badluckfairy

^^ This

Also, I found the second Tomb Raider film was better than the first one. I liked both though.

I also found that the second Hunger Games book (Catching Fire) was the best in the trilogy.

11. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Alot of people disliked Iron Man 3 but it's actually my favorite Iron Man movie and 1 of my favorite movies in the MCU. Even though the movie came out a few years ago and everyone probably knows the spoilers by now I'm going to use them anyway because I'm nice and respectful instead of an inconsiderate jerk with no regard for other peoples love of film and storytelling ^_^

So the big thing that pissed everyone (but mostly comic nerds) off is the Mandarin. Everyone got hype to see Tony Stark's nemesis come to life on the big screen but then the movie came out and the main villain turned out to be Aldrich Killian while the Mandarin was just a character he made up to fool Tony. (and the whole audience) The Fake Mandarin of course is revealed to be a harmless british junkie without any powers or anything. To be fair it is somewhat of a huge kick in the nuts to anyone who wanted the real Mandarin since Marvel has been building up his 10 rings terrorist group since they appeared in the 1st iron man movie.

They pulled the wool over our eyes and almost no one saw it coming, leaving Mandarin fans everywhere to be sorely disappointed. But I didn't hate the Mandarin twist as a matter of fact I thought it was brilliant. The movie wasn't safe or predictable by any means, it had the balls to make changes to popular characters do it's own thing and go off in a new direction. The result was a memorable and unique movie with lots of great moments and a Hilarious performance by Ben Kingsley as the drunk mandarin I might add. =D I respect the movie for thinking outside the box and giving us it's own Version of the Mandarin, (who is pretty fun and interesting in his own right ^_^) but I guess with comic book movies you can't attempt anything different or innovative or you'll just get backlash from the fans who want to see the same things exactly as they know them

Another complaint I've heard about IM3 is that there isn't enough Iron Man in it. Seriously? Watch Iron man 1, 2, or either of the avengers movies if you're just in it to watch him fly around and punch things. Again IM3 gave us something else because we've already seen that. He loses access to his suit for most of the movie so we get to see Tony Stark at his most vulnerable, pushed away from his comfort zone and forced to make decisions that develop and define his character. It's a more personal movie about the man within the machine which is ultimately what makes it more interesting to me than a Villain of the Week movie like Iron Man 2 or an origin story like the 1st one. I truly feel bad for anyone who disliked the movie cause it didn't have enough action since they clearly missed the point and would probably benefit more from watching something like the Transformers movies instead which is a fate I wouldnt wish on anyone.

So basically most of the criticism for this movie is because people didn't get the Mandarin they wanted. Well I can somewhat understand their disappointment, however at the same time I would tell them to look at the big picture and get over it. Read the comics, watch the animated shows and movies or play the videogames if you want the classic Mandarin so bad. (is he that strong of a character in the source material? I somehow doubt it) Even then the MCU leaves the possible existence of a Third Mandarin in that universe super open ended. We've seen his organization referenced in the other movies and there's no sign of any connection to the A.I.M./Aldrich Killian plot in Iron Man 3. The most compelling evidence of all however is in the short film All Hail The King which deals with Trevor Slattery aka the fake mandarin in Prison after the events of Iron Man 3. I wont give anything away but I highly recommend looking it up if you're remotely interested in either Ben Kingsley's Mandarin or the 10 Rings Mandarin from the comics. Besides that the whole one shot is generally entertaining and feels self aware to an extent, they even reference the fan backlash to Iron Man 3 and everything is great~

12. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

[​IMG]

Alien 3 gets a lot of hate.

But is it that bad?

Alien 3 is the first film of the series I saw. So, by itself, it wasn't too bad, having no experience with the original. I do remember thinking though, "Wait, marines?" when Ripley told the inmates, their lives had no value. So it did make me want to look into the other films, and I'm glad it did. It's a fun little series, and the biology of the Xenomorphs is pretty amazing -- I can see why a company would want to harvest their potential.

One of the major reasons people dislike this film is, it kills the previous movie's happy ending.

But, having since gone back and watched the other films, this doesn't bother me anymore -- at least not in a superficial way. I am bothered because it does away with two characters, one of whom I liked a lot and another I understood. That's a fine example of story-telling done right.

As you watch the remainder of the film, it's just a gradual breakdown. Imagine the isolated bleakness of the first film... now subtract any kinds of weapons, other than basic surgical tools and maybe some forks. Oh, and if you're lucky, a fire extinguisher.

There is nothing to fight this creature with. This thing that has been a pest to Ripley for a while, and done some trifling stuff. It's killed her crew, taken away years of life from her daughter, and not too long ago it took the closest thing she had to an actual, understanding family--

Shit sucks. Bad.

And some folks complain about the depressing vibe of this movie, along with the darker setting.

I quite like it. To see faith-practicing criminals balance a seemingly meaningless life, with the idea that, one day, their suffering will pay off and they'll walk into Heaven.

Ripley herself is a prisoner, and this adds a deep psychological tint to the film. It's very unlikely, even if she hadn't crashed on this prison planet, that she'd ever be able to get beyond the Xenomorph. For one, she's a wanted woman by Weyland-Yutani, a very large and very influential company.

Once more she has to face this obstacle. Just like the prisoners she is surrounded by, Ripley must face a seemingly meaningless existence (she's lost everything, practically) vs. the slight hope in killing this creature, which, if even for a moment, gives her something to live for.

In a very bizarre way, Alien 3 reminds me of the futility of life, with mortality and the processing of choices that lead us to death. Just because you'll die, doesn't mean up until that point it's going to be easy, or even fun. Alien 3 embodies that so well.

Then... there's the ending. It's bittersweet.

If you think about it, Ripley has been sleeping in cryogenic tubes, much longer than she has lived. All that woman knows is sleep, wake up, maybe eat, and kick alien ass. Sleep seems awfully preferable.

Alien 3's ending pretty much gives her eternal slumber...

Or you could accept it as a dream Ripley had at the end of Aliens.

But if Alien 3 is a bad dream, then Alien Resurrection is Hell, LOL.

13. Lazuri

I think the second Tron movie was actually really neat. Interesting story, great visuals and an amazing soundtrack.

14. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The Mummy Returns was way better than the first!

15. CharlD91

CharlD91 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Iron man 2.. definitely the better of the Iron man films

16. White Knight

Dungeons and Dragons: Wrath of the Dragon God

I guess everyone things this movie sucks. I love it and it is a huge progress over first one. Undead, dragons, magic, puzzles and other geeky stuff which makes my toes curl.

[​IMG]

I posted this before but here it is again... another reason to like this movie with all its flaws.

[​IMG]

Actors working their roles by D&D rulebooks... I think Ellie Chidzey/Lux reading barbarian page from PHB 3,5 edition.

It shines even more if you think following movie only had shirtless scenes of Jack Degres to enjoy.

[​IMG]

17. Sienrar

18. waitwhat

waitwhat Guest

I gotta go with Gremlins 2: The New Batch.

19. LaEsmeralda

The Lion King 2 is the only Disney Classic sequel that I like. There is no shortage of interesting new characters - Zira, anyone? Nuka and Vitani, anyone? Kovu, anyone? It was darker than the original too, which I liked, even though they switched Zira's suicide to a fall at the last minute because it was too controversial. Her song 'My lullaby' was on par with 'Be prepared'. Ah, I need to re-watch it!

No one gives enough love to the Rise and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes movies :slight_smile: