1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brideshead Revisited series

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Illus1, May 23, 2015.

1. Illus1

I am curious if anybody else had seen this series, not the 2008 movie but the series featuring Jeremy Irons (1981).
    I really do like it.

To be honest I love it, there is a part of me very fond of decadance and class.
    And it is imo much much better than the movie, the caracters in the series have so much depth to them. It is almost like art instead of just a period drama..

Two quotes that caught my attention:

"For the subject was everywhere in the house like a fire deep in the hold of a ship,
    below the water-line, black and red in darkness, coming to light, hi acrid wisps of smoke that curled up the ladders, crept between the decks, oozed under the hatches, hung in wreaths on the flats, billowed in suddenly from the scuttles and airpipes."

"This slightly obscene object became a memorable part of the evening. One of those needle hooks of experience which catch the attention when larger matters are at stake, and remain in the mind, when they are forgotten. So that years later, it is a bit of gilding or a certain smell or the tone of a clock ticking which recall one to a tragedy. " (This is soo true!!)

Both movie and series are based on the book Brideshead revisited by Evelyn Waugh ( which I've started reading)

Anyway just curious about how well known it is, I just discovered it.

Youtube link http://https://m.youtube.com/user/D0nalF0ley

#1 Illus1, May 23, 2015
    Last edited: May 23, 2015
  2. Porphyrogenitus

Yeah, it's pretty good, and I think fairly well known? Among a certain demographic, anyway :grin:

I prefer it to the movie. The main difference is that a movie has to compress things into a certain period of time, while a TV mini-series can take a lot longer. 659 minutes compared to 133. It's therefore able to capture a lot more depth and meaning from the book.

It also has a ridiculously good cast: Jeremy Irons, John Gielgud, Laurence Olivier, Anthony Andrews, etc.