1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Theatre Play Opinions

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Nadia, May 24, 2015.

1. Nadia

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hello,

I am new here and must say I really like what I've seen of the forum.
    I have registered here because I need opinions about a theatre play I have been commissioned to co-write (for a charity-fundraising troupe). I am writing the plot, the characters' profiles etc... and my co-writer will do the dialogues (he knows all the actors personally so that will help).

The main cast is a posh ménage à trois in the late 1950s. Long story, but we hardly have a choice... A gay man (middle-aged), his male lover (much younger), and the lover's new girlfriend (even younger), who gets pregnant and moves in with them for a while.

Now, I guess that being a woman who's always been with men makes me straight (though I hate the term and I have never defined myself as such without reluctance) and I have a fair few gay and bi friends. I respect their opinions (and my own) about my characters, but I would like more opinions about who my characters might be, their motivations, and so on.

My problem is, the play has to be a comedy. I see in this a wonderful opportunity to "update" olden-days ménage à trois plays, but it seems to me that there is a very fine line between fun and cliché, and thoughtfulness and offense. This is why I am asking for opinions.

This play is fiction grounded in fact, so anything goes - I don't have to stick to the "real" story behind the play as we know next to nothing about the people involved, who have been dead a long time.

Do you have any ideas what I should "do" with those characters? What pitfalls should I avoid / what clichés would get on *your* nerves if you were in the audience? Comedy is typically full of clichés, hence my concerns!

I guess I'm just really worried I might inadvertently miss my opportunity to make this play open-minded and tolerant, especially as I will not direct it myself. I am especially puzzled by and concerned about the bisexual lover. I think I understand him sexually, but not emotionally.

But as I said, I only want opinions / pointers / warnings etc. I will read and (seriously) consider all comments when it comes to writing.

Thanks in advance for your opinions and thoughts,

Nadia.