1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help With Accents

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by ZenMusic, May 24, 2015.

1. ZenMusic

So, for our Theatre In Education about homophobic bullying, I created this African-American girl called Erica. She's from Houston and even though we're doing this to an 11 year audience and they probably won't notice if a mistake occurs, if I can better my skills, I will. So, what can I do to make Erica more authentic?

2. Hizaki

I don't know much about how African Americans, in specific, speak, but I'm pretty sure that a newish (although I actually have no idea what the timeline has been) trend for many southern Americans is to realize "Str" as "Shtr". So "strength" sounds a bit more... low and/or lazy, perhaps?

3. ms24601

Out Status:
    Not out at all
  4. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    People from Houston usually talk with a slow southern drawl

5. AAASAS

My best friend growing up was from Fort Worth, I don't think there are specific accents to each city. I know that many city dwellers in Texas don't really have a southern accent and have a standard american accent.

The only give away was her mother would say "Howdy" sometimes, other than thought I would've assumed they were from Ontario; and that's in a different country.

Her Dad had the absolute slightest Southern Accent, it'd be hard to pinpoint were he was from.

#5 AAASAS, May 25, 2015
    Last edited: May 25, 2015