1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possible double standard in Outlander tv series warning

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by sldanlm, May 31, 2015.

1. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have a straight friend who likes to come over and watch the Starz TV series Outlander. I've noticed in the previous episodes there was the standard small short warning about how it contained nudity and violence, etc. I completely understand how such images can be triggering to victims of sexual assault, no problem with the warning.

Last nights episode had a long full screen warning about the nudity and rape. What was the big difference between that show and all the others? It was a rape of a man by another man. The main female character has been sexually assaulted at least three times so far, sometimes graphically,and continually sexually harassed or threatened. Even Claire's first sexual encounter with Jamie was a form of sexual coercion, since she was required to consummate a wedding to someone she initially didn't want to have sex with. She did end up having sex with him voluntarily, but she would've been required to do so anyway whether she wanted to or not, for protection from being raped or killed by an English Captain. She then ends up falling in love with Jamie as the series go on.

I don't know if I'm off base thinking that there's possibly a double standard or not. When I said something to my straight friend, she just shrugged and said women get raped on screen all the time, like it was no big deal.