1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rap

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Some Dude, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Any fans of rap/hip-hop on this forum? Who are you favorite rappers/groups, what are you favorite songs, albums etc.

My favorite rappers/groups: Nas, Kendrick, Rakim, Outkast, Lauryn Hill, 2pac, etc. Though lately I've been getting really into A Tribe Called Quest, Black Star, and Public Enemy.

Favorite songs are:
    They Remisice Over You - Pete Rock and C.L. Smooth
    Memory Lane - Nas
    Life's a Bitch - Nas
    Paid in Full - Rakim
    Shook Ones Pt. 2 - Mobb Deep
    Sing About Me - Kendrick Lamar
    2nd Childhood - Nas
    Mind Playing Tricks on Me- Geto Boys

My favorite Albums
    Illmatic - Nas
    To Pimp a Butterfly - Kendrick
    Stillmatic - Nas
    Good kidd, m.A.A.d city - Kendrick
    The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill - Lauryn Hill

Let me know what you listen to

2. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Yes, I'd consider myself a fan of Rap.

If you want more details:​
    When it comes to Rap, I have to do two categories:

Artist vs Beats.

Some artists I'm not fond of, but they have good beats. Most songs have instrumentals nowadays, which is fine for me, I'm okay with no lyrics. Drake is a prime example of this; don't care much for him talking, but his music is tolerable.

Recent favorites would be:

Kendrick Lamar - "Money Trees"

And that's about it. Yeah...

I haven't been fond of much since 2009. The lyrical quality has become very lazy or just outright ignorant.

To be fair, a lot of what I grew up listening to isn't top notch either. But that's why I mention beats...

Tyler the Creator has a very angrily satirical approach in his songs, and can be offensive. However, even knowing the context, a lot of his songs still sound whiny and uncalled for. But I like his beats, especially for the hooks.

Three 6 Mafia, Gucci Mane, Yo Gotti, and Kanye West produce great beats. But the moment they open their mouths, garbage starts to spew. That isn't to say they're always bad, but they fall into that ignorant content category.

Now, if we go back...

Notorious B.I.G., Tupac Shakur, Bone Thugs 'N Harmony, Eminem, Snoop Dogg, were very heavy in my 90s living rotation... if we go by big-names.

I was really into horrorcore rap, made infamously annoying by the likes of Insane Clown Posse. I'll admit to listening to these guys, though I can also admit a lot of their songs are terrible -- but some of them, like "Halls of Illusion" and "Hellalujah", are incredible.

I'm always down for 'domestic abuse', 'racism', and 'greed' getting their just desserts. And the second song is one of the hardest hits at organized religion I've ever heard.

Gravediggaz was another group I liked, and who had a very horrorcore sound. Their most known song is "Tales From the Darkside". These guys don't have good days, LOL.

But it's a very sobering song, as it speaks of the anger that comes from life, especially those under the poverty line.

Goodie Mobb isn't horrorcore, but it's another of those sobering groups. At first listen "Dirty South" comes off as vulgar and offensive -- but that's the point. It's pointing out all the ills and problems in the black community, particularly in the American South. A 'wake up call' to white people basically, LOL.

If you want me to give a list, here's a Top 5:

Mobb Deep - "Shook Ones, Pt. 2"
    Like the beat, the lyrics are very raw and blunt. It's notable for not having a happy ending.

Tupac Shakur - "To Live and Die in L.A."
    It's one of those 'life sucks, but may as well enjoy what you can' type of songs. The beat is beautiful and Tupac has a voice I like, because his raps are very clear and concise.

Del tha Funkee Homosapien - "Stress the World"
    My personal theme song. This is an example of 'intelligent rap' that I show folks, who think it's all BLING-BLING and "Nigga this, Nigga that". Love the beat, like the lyrics, and it makes me feel happier.

Notorious B.I.G. - "Party and Bullshit"
    I like this song solely for the nostalgia. The beat isn't too bad either.

Notorious B.I.G. & Bone Thugs 'N Harmony - "Notorious Thugs"
    I love the use of the piano. Bone Thugs can have a very melodic sound, and they're pretty fast at rapping, too. Biggie's line, the first one, is the best in the song. Still, that introduction is a little over 1 minute long, that's ridiculous.

You'll probably notice that no females were mentioned. This is still a problem in the rap game, as I do not consider Nicki Minaj to be the spokeswoman. I still think, despite her aggressive approach, Diamond (most known as being part of Crime Mobb) is better, as is Gangsta Boo.

3. candyjiru

Ooh~ I love rap <3

My faves are~~ Ludacris, Tech N9ne, Chingy, Eminem, Jeremih, Big Tymers, and random one-hit wonders, haha

4. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

And I love you!

This is a pleasant surprise. I must admit, I'm amused at some of your choices, but in a good way.

5. LiquidSwords

My number one and two hip hop songs of all time, not sure what order haha

Method man and Biggie are my heroes

[YOUTUBE]jq5tgNSTKg8[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]sMJyS09T52E[/YOUTUBE]

6. Lyana

Is this the moment where I cite French artists you've never heard of?
    To be honest, I'm not a big fan of most rap. The rhythm and beats put me off. But the writer in my can't not admire certain texts, and I'm not too deaf to realize rap has some of the best lyrics out there.
    I like Ärsenik's texts. They're not exactly recent, though. "Here they insult you with a look, they fuck you over with a smile," "France is like a rose losing its petals."
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3BpAln8G0c

7. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

[youtube]eXvBjCO19QY[/youtube]

Rest in peace. love him or hate him, Tupac certianly left behind a legacy, including this song which was made after his death. It would have been interesting to see what he might have become in another life

8. Justinian20

I do like some hip hop and rap but my favourite is a political hip hop group from Australia, These guys pretty much no one knows about, cause they are a indie group from Australia, they come from their own label Elefant Traks and they are The Herd.

The group's beats are made brilliant by the use of an accordion. In fact it's why I like them so significantly, the sound is different to most hip hop and rap. I was a listener of hip hop and rap, mostly horrorcore after I had a mainstream rap period. Now I'm still indie but I'm in the Aussie Hip Hop scene, it also has to be political hip hop for me to listen.

But I will say when I liked mainstream hip hop, it was Crunk that I liked, so Lil Jon and the Eastside Boys, Ying Yang Twins and Three 6 Mafia and it was simply for the musical element of those songs rather than the rapping itself.

9. tulipinacup

I listen to Digable Planets, ATCQ, and the Miseducation of Lauryn Hill album. Everyone seem to like ATCQ's Midnight Marauders but I personally like Low End Theory better.

10. Rapha Lover

I love RUN DMC, NWA, Public Enemy, Cypress Hill, G-unit and others and others.
    About my favs rappers are Tupac, Nas, Big Smalls, Snoop Doog (The old one), Eminem, 50 cent (the old one as well) and others!

:slight_smile:

#10 Rapha Lover, Jun 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
  11. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Technically not a fan of rap but I like a lot of Eminem's music, especially his collabs with Rihanna.