1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whys does every book have to be ruined by the supernatural?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by NathanielB13, Jun 7, 2015.

1. NathanielB13

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So after a recommendation by someone on here to use wattpad to find LGBT stories( I recommend THE BILLIONAIRES BOYFRIEND), I found a good sounding story called All It Took Was One Look. I was really invested after the first chapter and hen I started reading the second chapter and it was ruined by f:***: werewolves!
    I don't mind supernatural as long as it tells me about it first. I liked Trust Me and Dead Gorgeous by Malorie Blackman because it told me it was about vampires or ghosts. I don't like the ones where it says "He/she has a dark secret..." and it turns ou to be supernatural.
    Does anyone else share this opinion or diagrees with me? Does anyone else had this experience with a good book?

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Supernatural is what sells as far as YA books go. So publishers will eat up anything with werewolves and vampires (or wizards, or gods and goddesses in Percy Jackson's case) in it. We have Harry Potter and Twilight to thank for that, with good reason for the first and sadly for the second. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

#2 Argentwing, Jun 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  3. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I mean I guess with YA books it is common, but no I haven't ever had this problem.

In the future you could try googling the title before reading the book?

4. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Often young writers (fanfic, or origfic) throw in supernatural elements half-way through because they wish to progress the story, but have run out of plot ideas. Throwing in mythical creatures can also be a cheap way to get out of character development. This is more commonly seen in unpublished writing (wattpad, ao3, ff), but can also be apparent in published works.

Example of good supernatural character development: Jacob changes into a werewolf, deals with peer pressure and struggles between obligation to the pack and personal wants/desires; learns how to balance his life, and grows as an individual.

Example of bad supernatural character development: Bella turns into a vampire. Now she is extra pretty, and has powers.

5. Justinian20

I think some books need to be more creative than supernatural. Twilight I don't mind just because Robert Pattinson and Taylor Lautner. (faints).

6. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Using google to get to know more about a book let s you exposed to expoilers.

OP, that's why I avoid the so called 'young lit' like the plague. I know they abuse the supernatural. Those writers are just copycating each other to sell.
    Writters do need to pay for the bills, you know...

You could try other genres. Or write your own.

7. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Because that's what "the teenagers" like. Supply and demand.

8. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Done well, supernatural can be amazing. There might be a problem with published fic catering to a common denominator of well-edited "meh", but you might find a gem in an amateur source.

#8 Argentwing, Jun 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  9. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I miss YA books about nature, wilderness survival, and running away. Things that deal with plain, stark reality. This seems to be a fading thing, though; I don't think many kids spend too much time outside anymore, exploring, and so such YA lit (such as, say Gary Paulsen) has grown scarce.

10. GypsyButterfly

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Supernatural is one of my favorite genres. I'm a paranormal enthusiast & interested in cryptozoology. Though, like you, I prefer to know, going in, that it will involve that.

11. womaninamber

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes! I started reading this mystery novel about a woman who mysteriously knew secret things about a man's dead girlfriend, and it turned out the girlfriend's spirit (or something along those lines) was taking over people's bodies. I like the supernatural done well but I don't like that particular premise very much and I would have skipped the book if it hadn't sold itself as a mystery. And this was not YA lit so I guess it happens everywhere.