1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grey Gardens

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by BeautifulStranger, Dec 8, 2008.

1. BeautifulStranger

Is there a more beautiful/depressing/wonderfully written musical known to man?

It's based upon the lives of Edith Beale and her daughter Edie, the aunt and cousin of former first-lady Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis.
    It tells the story of their fall from American royalty to despots living in squalor in their once magnificent East Hamptons mansion.

Act I takes place in 1941 at the engagement party of little Edie (played originally by Erin Davie). Slowly things begin to unravel, beginning with Edie's father (who never appears in the musical) announcing his divorce from Edith (played be the ever-so-talented Christine Ebersole) by telegram. At this, little Edie's fiancé leaves her.
    Act II picks up 32 years into the future. By this point, there is no money left. Little Edie (now 56, and played by Christine Ebersole. That's what's so special about this musical. Christine Ebersole plays the mother in the first act and in the second act plays the fully-grown daughter.) spends her days taking care of her now 79 year-old mother (played my Mary Louise Wilson, another gem).

I'm not going to lie to you, just writing that summary put me in silent tears.
    It's a truly beautiful musical, and what touches me the most is that this isn't some enchanted playwrite's vision. This tells the true story of a dysfuntional family's fall from unspoken depression to complete misery.

Here are some of my favorite scenes...

The Revolutionary Costume for Today - Probably one of the only funny songs in this musical. It's a very funny view of the impact fashion has and the 'mean, nasty republican town' of East Hampton. (This is Christine Ebersole as Little Edie from act II)
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDS8tkdT_-E[/YOUTUBE]

Around the World - If you don't watch anymore videos, at least watch this one. This is my absolute favorite song in this entire musical. The piano part was based upon Chopin's Revolutionary Etude, which gives it a very dramatic and dark feeling to it. In the song, Little Edie (played by Christine Ebersole in act II) reflects upon the things she had wished to do and what she was doing with her life instead. I cry so hard when I hear this song.
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-P-Bvn8qGo[/YOUTUBE]

Another Winter in a Summer Town - Little Edie (again played by Christine Ebersole from act II. In my oppinion, all of the best songs come in act II.) is almost out. She sings of how ridiculous it is that she's still there. She sings that she should be out, and as she's about to leave, the love for her bed-ridden mother kicks it, and she's drawn in and forced to stay once.
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEJvYDB5SKA[/YOUTUBE]

Here's a video of Edith and Edie in reality.
    Knowing what I know about them now, I can't help but put my heart and soul out to them.
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLt9zh7sLIQ[/YOUTUBE]

#1 BeautifulStranger, Dec 8, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
  2. BeautifulStranger

EDIT:
    I mixed up 'Another Winter in a Summer Town's descrition with a different song.
    The song is her reflecting and realizing that she needs to grow up and she's no longer a child.

3. Amy

Amy

This is beautiful And depressing. I love it. :slight_smile:

4. jazzrawr

I LOVE Christine Ebersole. I've never seen this musical, but she's amazing so I wouldn't doubt it's great.