1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hozier - Take me to Church

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by anthonybg, Jun 15, 2015.

1. anthonybg

anthonybg Guest

Do you like Hozier's song? I do, it's really thoughtful and it shows how unfair this world this, and also the impact the church has on the gay community.

2. yaoicore

yaoicore Guest

it's a alright song i'm more in to rock

3. Taly

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you for introducing me to this song... <3

4. anthonybg

anthonybg Guest

More than welcome! :slight_smile:

5. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love it. The first time I listened to it I couldn't stop. I brought youtube up on my phone so that I could replay it on my walk to class. I related to it so much it hurt.

6. Lyana

Yep, I like it!
    A certain someone introduced me to it a few months ago. Then when I was travelling in April I heard it on the radio all the time. I just love how harsh some of the lines sound: I'll worship like a dog at the shrine of your lies...

And of course, the sentence "I was born sick, but I love it" is gold.

7. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well it is a very good song but i would also love a song and I am sure someone would write one about how churches are now embracing the gay community and not hating them for who they are. I am sure there are songs already out there that can have that positive meaning in support of gay christians.

8. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Speaking for myself only, I have mixed feelings. I certainly understand the frustration of the song writer regarding how the church treats LGBT people. However, he makes sex his religion/faith(or at the least a ritual) if you listen closely to the song. I have a problem with that as someone who has made Christianity my faith. But there are a lot of hypocrites in some churches, but I don't feel everything they say regarding the entire faith is lies myself.

9. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No I agree I was just making a point before the thread went south with a bunch of anti religious crap in all honesty. I like to always show the bright side of things as much as a i can that is all.

10. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I get that. :slight_smile: I specifically stated it was my p.o.v. and mine only to prevent that. I get the overall angst of the song.

11. Taly

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh wow, now I'm somewhat attracted to Hozier... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

12. TENNYSON

TENNYSON Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I knew this song was popular, but I didn't know it had anything to do with homosexuality. That's pretty interesting. There aren't enough popular songs that address homosexual issues. All we get are "I Kissed a Girl" by Katy Perry... :rolle:

13. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's a great anthem for the LGBTQ community both religious and not. I personally love the song, especially since it has a Christopher Hitchens quote in it (Command me to be well), and because it's very well written. It's a song all about the church not approving of people's love lives (We were born sick, you heard them say it), and tells gay Christians to reject the teachings of their hateful churches and find their own way to worship (My church offers no absolutes, she tells me worship in the bedroom), and also tells people to love who they love, and to not be ashamed. (The only heaven I'll be sent to is when I'm alone with you. I was born sick, but I love it.) It really is a good anthem for all LGBTQ people.

14. Feln

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I was literally obsessed with this song. It still has a big place in my heart and on my playlist. This was the song that made me question my existence in a world full of hate towards people who are a bit different, who are like me. It had a huge impact on me, I started seeing that it's not bad being gay, but it's people that tell each other it's bad. It's not the God that hates us, it's the church that tells us he does.

15. Ryu

Ryu

No, I don't like it.
    For starters, I'm not a huge indie fan, I personally prefer blues and rock, I ain't really digging the ditty as a whole, and my sister is obsessed with hozier at the momet and doesn't stop singing it.

Lyrically, I don't get it.
    Y'all keep on going on about it being a 'pro-LGBT anthem', but I don't see how. *takes a does of buckley*
    Time to rip apart this song eitha scalpel, study its insides and then maybe stitch it back together.

Verse 1.
    So, as I said, you seem to all think it's got something to do with being a gay christian or whatever, but it's a guy singing, and a guy wrote the song, so when you here 'she' and 'her' as pronouns, it probably had nothing too little to do with any of the LGBT community.
    Verse 2.
    Again she is the pronoun used. And apparently Hozier hates the church, saying that it feeds everybody poision, as if saying it is 'killing the worlds minds with Right-wing christian bullshite', where, in reallity, many-a-church are(n't neccesaruly pro-lgbt, but) lgbt friendly, presuming this is meant to be about the church and lgbt peoples.

One line bridge 1.
    How were you born sick, so far you haven't done anything that even the most harsh churches dissaprove of.

Verse 3.
    Newsflash, if you have a church that doesn't tell you anything or lets you do whatever without consequences, it sort of defeats the point of believing in it, so your church is probably aetheist or humanist. By 'Worship in the bedroom' mean literally praise Jesus in your bedroom, or is it, if Hozier worships this person, the way this person believes he can show affection to her? The following line hints to this more...

Chorus!
    I. If church is your bedroom, you don't need soneone to take you there you lazy sod..
    II. Still having sex with yer woman? I see... Grovelling is a weird fetish...
    III. Well if sex is meant to be a type of sin in some instances of the bible, you are commiting a sin, so how does one sharpen a knife while yelling and listening to somebody talk?
    IV. If this line doesn't yell 'average love song' I don't know what does.

I'm just gonna pick out key points from here in out...

Verse V line I. So thats why you can't go to an orthodox church, you're meant to be pagan.

Verse VI line VI. If your faith is pagan and this woman is your goddess, doesn't this mean that you are sinning by sleeping woth another mans wife?

Yeah, thats there you go, my overanalyses of take me to church.

16. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I did not see it that way but now i can understand it better. Thanks.

17. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That's why I think he is talking about sex. He's not talking about reading a Bible or other book of faith in the bedroom. He is worshiping his lover's body. It is a very atheistic song. If that's your bag, then good. If you are a Christian, it doesn't jive as well.

18. PurpleDude

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    that's one of the songs that falls into an odd category for me. While I like the song itself, I'm not a fan of Hozier singing it.

another recent example of this would be Stay With Me by Sam Smith, love the song, but I cannot stand his voice at all. I find almost every cover version that I've heard to be more appealing.

19. Simple Thoughts

I feel that way about both Sam Smith and Hozier X3

I feel like the verses and the chorus in Take me to Church aren't even the same song.

There is zero transition between them. He just randomly flips into a different singing style for no reason.

One minute he's singing with a deep voice in a gospel style, and then a second later he's singing in a less deep voice in a traditional pop kinda sound and then it's back to the gospel sound and that just really ruins the whole song for me because it's jumping all over hte place.

Then there are the vague lyrics which can pretty much mean whatever you want them to mean.

I've heard LGBT, I've heard Church pedophilia, I've heard love song using religion as a metaphor.

I mean seriously no one knows what this song is really about, and I assume that was by design.