1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wicked- The Book

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by xballetxbeautyx, Dec 9, 2008.

1. I searched through old topics and could only find stuff about the musical. So- Wicked, the novel.

My mom wouldn't let me read it when I first heard about it at the tender age of eleven. She said I had to wait until I was fourteen, and now I'm fourteen and I read it and it was wonderful. And torturous. Has anybody else read it? Did you feel like it didn't give very much at all? Just little snippets that only created more questions.

On a more general note, what did you think of the book? What was better, the book or the play? And, because I can't resist bringing it up, what did you think of G(a)linda and Elphaba's relationship? ~megan~

2. crystaltriforce

the play was great, funny, and amazing. the book was long, confuseing and way too political.

3. buriedinhw7

The book was a lot darker than expected. It's at trilogy so reading the next two books will probably answer some fo those questions. The musical is pretty much a PG version of the book haha.

4. jazzrawr

I agree, the book was great and torturous at the same time. It never gave details, except in a few instances, and always left you guessing.

And in my opinion, Elphaba and Galinda were SO into each other. Screw Fiyero.
    There's little hints all through it. Gregory Maguire is such a tease. XD

5. cjtom

cjtom Guest

I never found the time to finish the book but the 2/3 I have read where rather confusing. I agree that it was too politcal and did raise alot of questions, which is why I prefer the musical. I think I'm a sucker for the simple love stories that wrap up nicely. (I wish I could say the same for my own life :icon_wink)

I do think, though, that it was a fun, new way of looking at 'The Wizard of Oz'! I never thought I would love the Wicked Witch of the West so much!

6. Amy

Amy

I FUCKING LOVE WICKED!!!!!

Does that answer it for you?

I did a book report for it (which I did the night before and got a 100%, thank you very much) and had so much trouble finding a favourite quote. >.< LOL I made a "bumper sticker" of Boq that showed him laying on the ground and it said "Balcony to ground in one tik-tok." :grin:

It was so political, so deep, so torturous, so amazing...I'm going to read it again now...

I agree with Jazz, there's a little somethin' somethin' with Elphaba ang Galinda...

7. Matty

Although I enjoy the musical, I read the novel before I saw the show, and I prefer it. I think it is fascinating, and the questions raised are great. The story is not meant to answer question of the Wicked Witch's life, rather it is a new story about her life. The dark and political and sexual tone of novel creates a splendid blend that is both irresistible and challenging.

8. BeautifulStranger

Ick... No Glinda/Elphaba please!
    All I can imagine is my dear sweet Kristin Chenoweth doing unmentionable things (at least, unmentionable to me) with Idina Menzel!! >.<!!!

I think the book was wonderful, politics and all.
    I just hated how it would leave so many loose ends. I mean, some were tied up in the sequel (i.e. Liir being Elphaba and Fiyero's child) but mostly they were left unanswered.
    Like the beast at the end of the first part. What kind of animal was baby Elphaba with? Jeremy Maguire never says!!!
    The sequel, however, sucks.

9. Amy

Amy

Never!
    book Galinda/Elphaba = yes
    musical Galinda/Elphaba = hells naw