1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steven Universe and all it's gayness.

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by GoWithTheFlow, Jun 21, 2015.

1. GoWithTheFlow

Out Status:
    All but family
    So let's talk about Steven Universe, shall we?

It's obviously a VERY progressive show. We ALL know that. The three main crystal gems (Steven not included) do not have defined genders, and even though they're portrayed as female and use female pronouns, they won't hesitate to get up close and personal with each other. Basically, it's being lesbian but without technically being lesbian.

Then there's Lars, who I've heard a lot about. I've heard stuff about him being nonbinary? I may not be 100% deep enough into the show to know yet, but I don't know. Share thine knowledge! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

The gayness continues even up to the latest episode, "We Need To Talk" (SPOILERS) that shows Rose and Greg along with Pearl, who gets once again, up close and personal to Rose, to the point where they fuse together. Greg gets jealous, and more lesbian stuff.

Yes, this is half me doing some late night ramblings. But on the other hand, what do you guys think? I personally think the whole show is a big "f you" to homophobia and gender standards. It's great really.

2. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Garnet. Garnet, Garnet, Garnet Garnet Garnet, Garnet. Garnet.... Garnet, Gaaaarnet. Garnet, Garnet. Garnet.

3. xylaz

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Seen this show in passing so many times and I always had an LGBT vibe from it. The robots (or gems as you call them) were hard for me to identify and I even told my brother there's something unusual about them.
    Its an interesting show and something I'd enjoy if I were younger.

4. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I'm not the only one who thinks they're lesbians! Garnet is actually a fusion of two girls!

5. bajel

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    THIS SHOW. I love it so much. Reasoning:
    • Trans Lars is a widely accepted headcanon.
    • Garnet is a fusion made of two feminine characters. She's made of their love. That's an actual quote.
    • Pearl was very obviously (especially after this past week's episodes) in love with Rose Quartz.
    • Recently, as a response to some fans insisting that Pearl and Rose were not romantically involved, a storyboard artist tweeted basically confirming the relationship.
    • Like, it's not even queer baiting it's straight up representation.
    • It's creator, Rebecca Sugar, was the driving force behind Princess Bubblegum and Marceline's implied relationship in Adventure Time. Cartoon Network shut that down, so she decided to create a new show and this time be explicit.
    • It features a non nuclear family.
    • Steven is a very sensitive and emotional young boy, and is never made to feel like he is "less of a man" for being this way.
    • The characters are really three dimensional. All of the characters have bad traits and good traits, and people aren't presented as being black or white, pure or evil.
    • The soundtrack is amazing.
    • A large portion of the voice actors are WOC.
    It's really great and I mostly watch it to support it and make sure it stays on the air because I think it has some pretty great representation that kids need to see. Also, the art style is adorable and the color schemes are always so nice to look at.

6. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Steven Universe is just one of the best things to come out of Cartoon Network in over ten years, and I'm so glad it's pushing the limits and boundaries in the way it is.

7. OfTheKokiri

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    If I may make an unrelated comment. When I first read the title of this thread I got really excited but as I read your post I got confused. You see I read so fast that I thought it said 'Stargate' Universe and I was like ooohhhh well there is one lesbian couple on the show but other than that... And then I went back and reread the title.

Don't mind me just completely derailing the topic on hand with this ancedote.

8. The Wallflower

I absolutely love this show. It's beautiful.

No cartoon has made me want to watch it this much since Codename: Kids Next Door.

The characters are all lovely. My favorite has to be Amethyst. I love her wild charisma. If one of them is a lesbian, (even though they don't have defined genders, sorta like daedra princes) it's her.

CN has slowly begun embracing homosexuality!

So, you know how in the Amazing World of Gumball, there's that one character that's a flower? I forgot his name, but there was this one episode where Gumball thought he and Penny were dating, so he got jealous.

In the end, it turns out they were just cousins, and Gumball says: "I didn't know that!"

And the flower guy says: "There's a lot of things you don't know about me, Gumball."

When he said that, my sister and I just looked at eachother like: 'Wut'.

This highly suggests that he means he's gay. :3

Oh, and let's not forget PB and Marceline in Adventure Time.

#8 The Wallflower, Jun 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  9. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think Pearl is gay and Garnet is a lesbian couple in one person.

#9 Libra Neko, Jun 24, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  10. CandyKing

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well Amethyst certainly knows how to use a whip.
    [​IMG]

Seriously Pearl and Garnet are the true lesbians, Garnet is a fusion of two gems that are in love, and Pearl had a thing for Steven mother Rose.

11. Taly

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Technically, gems are genderless. But I do like how the show portrays them as relatively and almost exclusively female; but still adds to the dimension that they have relationships and bonds as anyone - which is good representation of LGBT people, actually. I like how the show pushes the boundaries in this aspect.

I wonder why though... If Gems are genderless; then why do they tend to express themselves through female forms? I always thought that the crystal gems did it out of mimicking and love for Rose... But I haven't seen any gem thus far that is expressed as a a male... Lion and Steven are the exceptions here.

Garnet is basically the sum of the love of a lesbian couple; so of course, she'd be a 'lesbian.' No doubt that Pearl is likely one, because she's had episodes where it shows her heavily attracted to Rose.

The only thing is... I just wish there were a cartoon that portrayed more of male-male gay characters. o: Maybe I'm missing all of the ones that do show this; but I don't see much with male-male gay couples in cartoons; especially ones where their personalities aren't flanderized in some form.