1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upcoming docu about growing up trans

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by wisefolly, Jun 22, 2015.

1. wisefolly

wisefolly Guest

Wasn't sure where to post this but figured people would want a heads up about it.

An upcoming episode of PBS's Frontline called "Growing Up Trans" will debut on TV (and online for streaming) on June 30. If you go to the link now there's a 30 second trailer. It's going to be a 90 minute episode (usually they're only 45-50 minutes).

2. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Seems cool.

One thing I think is a bit of a shame, though, is how it's always the cute kids who realize at a very early age who are in the documentaries.
    It's like "let's take the ones who are most trans, because that'll have a bigger impression (and make us more money)."

In the meantime, it intensifies the feelings of extra shame in those of us who didn't realize sooner.

I would like to see a documentary about teenaged or adult tg people.

All the same, thanks for sharing, wisefolly.

3. wisefolly

wisefolly Guest

Not a lot of info about the program so hard to tell how many different people will be profiled and what the age range will be. Also, seems that the point of the program will be about how what's been available for adults is now available for kids as well.

I'm surprised Frontline hasn't had another program about trans folk before, though they have had a couple of programs somewhat about LGBT things (one about Bradley Manning and another about an anti-gay mayor who was outed).

Not sure about the money thing, Frontline is on PBS so it's funded by public money and supporter donations. And they have an archive of years worth of their programs, all for free to view online.

As a side note, there's also years worth of programs (free to view online) from NOVA (mostly science stuff), Nature (give you one guess), American Experience (history), American Masters (profiles of artists), and Antiques Roadshow (cuz why not?).

Hope all the linking is permitted.

4. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I haven't completed watching it yet but so far the documentary is excellent, well worth a watch. :slight_smile:

5. wisefolly

wisefolly Guest

I completely forgot about this! Thank you for posting something about it Yaeli! I probably won't watch it until this weekend though, but I hope others will watch and comment on it.