1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Under the Dome

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by MrSkittles, Jun 25, 2015.

1. MrSkittles

Has anyone seen the show or read the book? I have read it and I am watching the season 3 premiere. It is such an AMAZING book and series. A lot of Cliffhangers in it. If you haven't seen or read it I would recommend it.

2. The Wallflower

Partially read the book, partially saw the series.

I couldn't finish either because I got bored of them, and honestly, as I read the book, a part of me was thinking: "This is the stupidest thing ever. A giant dome appearing in the middle of nowhere. Wow."

Just my opinion. I may start watching the series again, I just can't finish the book... :lol:

3. Weekender

I read the book and the little hipster within me silently raged when I saw it was being turned into a TV show a couple years thereafter. I like to joke that the book was psychologically damaging (especially as a young lady), but it was definitely an incredible read. Stephen King tends to be.

I saw the first few episodes of the series when they aired and the season 3 premier tonight, but that's all I can bring myself to watch. I'm not one of those lucky people who can enjoy a filmed adaption independently of a novel, and the TV series drifts way too far from the book for my tastes. One of the main reasons I find the novel so compelling is how twisted a number of the characters are, and I feel like a lot of the subject matter has been glazed over in order to fit public access television guidelines.

#3 Weekender, Jun 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  4. wisefolly

wisefolly Guest

King fan here so I'll read his books regardless (not a fan of all his books---and I've read them all---but his batting average ain't too bad). Like a lot of his bigger books the start of UTD was great but the ending... not so much (kinda like a truck hitting an invisible wall).

I watched the first season and was amazed at how ridiculously terrible it was. I can separate an adaptation from it's source material as long as the adaptation is a coherent whole on its own, but the interesting deviations from the book were far and few between the shlock of the rest of it.

I should add I can appreciate B-quality storytelling (Prison Break anyone?) if it moves along believably enough, but when glaring problems are EVERYWHERE I just can't do it.

But I will, one day, watch the rest, because I can watch dreck all at one go but I won't wait season to season for it.

5. SirPandacorn

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I started watching it but honestly it so long I just don't understand. If it was just one book how are they making so many seasons. I could understand Gone by Michael grant being like a long series just not utd. Plus gone is more... interesting then some weird egg thingy and butterflies...

6. OfTheKokiri

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I read the book and loved it! It was a little terrifying exploring the darker sides of people, but in an enjoyable 'what am I reading, please god don't let this happen to me' kind of way. At first the show bugged me because it really didn't follow the book (I know I shouldn't be suprised) but I eventually relaxed and enjoy the twists of the plot. By the end of the last season I started to slip in my interest for it but now I'm watching just to see where the plot leads while shaking my head at the writers with smile on my face!

It's a 'what will they do next' kind of show for me now.

7. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I started the book, but quit a quarter of the way through :$

8. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm watching it, I've been watching it since the start, I will continue watching it in the future until the very end.

That's enough compromising information for today.

9. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I saw the first two seasons of the show then read the book. So different! I saw part of the first episode of season three; it lost me very quickly. It's becoming like Lost.

10. OfTheKokiri

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Your right it has! That explains why I keep watching it. It just keeps falling into complex plot lines that keep me riveted as if I was solving a puzzle.

11. wisefolly

wisefolly Guest

Though Lost ultimately frustrated me to no end, I have to say it had far better acting, dialogue, storytelling, music... pretty much everything, than UTD. It's like UTD copied the worst aspects of Lost instead of avoiding them.

12. OfTheKokiri

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Agreed. Perhaps the underlying property of both is addicting? Just that one has higher quality than the other.

13. wisefolly

wisefolly Guest

Yes! With addicting shows you can see past a lot of flaws (sigh, that last season of Lost, though others might argue much earlier than that...)

14. OfTheKokiri

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Its like frozen pizza versus homemade pizza. Both are good becuase... well its pizza of course! Your munching away but you suddenly taste the 'freezer' consistency of the crust and cheese. At first you're disappointed but your brain just makes you overlook it and your eyes glaze over as you finish off the last slice and look for more.

I'm reading too much into this and I might be currently hungry for pizza.

15. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not so much in my case. I'm watching it because I like how hot the actors are and how stupid and unbelievable everything is. My job can be very demanding in terms of time and brain power, so at the end of the day it's either get baked like a cookie :grin: or watch a show like Under the Dome.

I'm also guilty of watching Supernatural since its beginnings. I've tried watching reality tv shows and other drivel, but those just stress me out even more. Supernatural and Under the Dome feel like a massage. :grin:

16. wisefolly

wisefolly Guest

It's actually a great comparison! I couldn't think of one that fit, but you sure did. Now there's two of us who are hungry for pizza.

I watched Prison Break all the way through solely because of Wentworth Miller.

17. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Why even try "reality shows"? At least fiction is interesting and the actors usually have some sort of talent. I just wish "reality" TV would go away. I put it in quotations because to me it seems contrived much of the time.

18. essie

I love Stephen King and was waiting for summer vacation to get on it, so thanks for reminding me!