1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Inspirational book: After Ben

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by RedRey, Jun 25, 2015.

1. RedRey

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi Everyone,

So I am new to this forum. I was getting frustrated that I had to keep my feelings secret and, 3 days ago, I decided to have a very passive aggressive way to face my sexual orientation. I couldn't discuss this to my family or even my friends in fear. So i decided to read books, gay literature. I Googled best novels for gay men and I started reading the book "After Ben." I really wanted to read a book from a gay man's perspective to know how it feels.

I haven't finished reading this book yet, I am half way there. But this is the book that inspired me to be less passive about myself and take action. This book is about a man whose husband died and now he is coping with the stress. He has met a new man in real life but he is interested in a man who he chats with online forms.

It has only been 2 days since I have been reading the book and since I joined this website but, I feel like I have taken a huge step forward in my life. I thought I'd share my experience with you guys and see what your thoughts are on it. Are there any other books that inspired you in any way? I'd like to see how your lives may have changed.

-Rey

2. wisefolly

wisefolly Guest

Books are always a great way to explore the world, especially if it's a part of the world that you think you might belong to but can't quite get there yet.

There wasn't any one book that inspired me in the way it did you. I read a few books here and there when I was younger that were by and about gay people but they were so far removed from my own upbringing and frame of reference that all they did really was to make me aware that gay people were out there and always have been. As an adult I haven't really read too many, for different reasons.

Hope others will share their bookish stories.