1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spring awakening?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Jesse Jinx, Dec 12, 2008.

1. Jesse Jinx

Anyone seen it? (and has there been a simlar thread? I'm really lazy, sorry.)

I just saw it last weekend, and I loved it. It was a play made years ago in Germany. It was banned there, and the first time it was ever performed. It was only shown once, under extremely heavy goverment cencorship. People flipped a shit about it with cries of obsenity and so forth so it was taken off. It's got pretty much every controversial theme you can think of. Masturbation, (teenage) suicide, homosexuality, molestation, prostution, teenage preganacy, abortion and more.

The main message is that socitial pressure is bad and it's been mainly described as a "coming of age" muscial. Athesim in a time ruled by religion, and children aren't supposed to know what sex is until they're married. Plus the music is amazing. Go to www.Springawakening.com and you can listen to it there.

I wanted to discuss it with anyone that's seen it. :grin:

PS, I suppose it's worth noting that it's a mature play in case that wasn'y obvious. So is some of the music. Not something I would ever suggest seeing next to your parents. Just get diffrent seats or something.

2. summersforecast

I'll keep my eyes and ears open

3. littledinosaurs

I am going to see that in May
    but i don't know what its about,
    but my lesbian is bringing me haha so i am assuming its good.

4. ColbieMarie

ColbieMarie Guest

My choir folder partner from 10th grade is in it. She's a swing and an understudy for Wendla and Ilse.

5. OneHatMadder

I've seen the play and I have the musical CD.

I adore it! It is one of the most emotional musicals in a long time. I wish the musical would come to NZ.

I particularly like The Dark I Know Well, Left Behind, Whispering, Touch Me and The Bitch of Living.

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah.

6. Greggers

I live for Musicals! THANK YOU Jesse Jinx cause ive never heard of this one ^^

Any other good Musicals im missing?

7. OneHatMadder

Ever heard of Bat Boy? Or Into The Woods? Or Gypsy?

They're my favourites at the moment.

But my absolute favourite musical is Jekyll & Hyde.

8. Greggers

9. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I really wish someone would do an official recording of it. There's no chance of me getting to go to NY and see it live.

10. Jesse Jinx

Totally fucked was amazing to see. There were so many lights. :grin: And the Bitch of Living is my favorite song ever. Ringtone and all. It was truly anazing.

I would love an offical recording for every play. I would love to watch them over and over, instead of paying $100+ every time. *sigh*

That's really cool! Do you still keep in touch?

11. ColbieMarie

ColbieMarie Guest

12. RENThead

they do have a recording of it...

the musical was based of a play, which is based of a poem. (im google-ing for it now...) i know its in the front of the book....

i love that the whole cast of this (except the 2 adults, who play all the adult characters) are children (under 21)

and you can get tickets to sit on the stage (on the side) so when the actors arent performing, or changing, you are actually sitting next to them.

im IN LOVE with the song dark i know well.
    and the song of purple summer. :slight_smile:
    and all the rest... i love thea she is soo cute :slight_smile:

SA wins...

13. BeautifulStranger

SA = epic fail

There are a few musicals I hate... They go in this order:
    1.) Rent
    2.) Grease
    3.) Spring Awakening

I was outraged that 'Spring Awakening' beat 'Gray Gardens' for Best New Musical at the 2007 Tonys. The choreography is not innovative at all. The story annoys me and ugh... I'm so sick of 'coming-of-ages' stories.
    If you want to see a musical with REAL talent, check out 'Gray Gardens'.

14. ColbieMarie

ColbieMarie Guest

My old classmate that is in it uploads new albums to facebook every couple weeks. All these young people look like they're having a hell of a good time.

15. Jesse Jinx

They do have a recording of it? More info please?

WonderWall: I have heard of Gray gardens! I love that musical! I didn't know this beat that for the Tony awards.

RentHead: I know! I wish I was up there, but I think the waiting list is all filled up until it goes off broadway (January). But it must have been amazing to sit up there with all of the actors. The ansamble members sit with you the whole time. :grin: Yeah, plus I have a huge cleb-crush on hunter parrish. And Thea is aborable!

ColbieMarie: I know people like that. It's somehow even more infurating when they acctually have the talent to back up the "I'm amazing (and so much better than you)" vibe.

16. Shaylyn

Ahh, I loved Spring Awakening. Kind of sad that it's closing on Broadway so soon. My favorite song was Don't Do Sadness/Blue Wind. Duncan Sheik (the guy who wrote all the music to the play) was in concert here a few months ago, he did some songs from Spring Awakening, which still sounded amazing in concert form. He has another play coming out...but it's kind of weird. It's about ghosts and lighthouses...and a Vietnamese man. I think I might be skipping that one.

17. Iceeh

Ohhh, Spring Awakening, how I adore thee! I still haven't seen it on Broadway yet, but my parents have, and they told me all about it. The soundtrack is one of my favorites ever, and I've had every song memorized for a year now. :grin: Here's to hoping I can see it before it closes!

18. OneHatMadder

For me it's:

1) Grease
    2) West Side Story
    3) Funny Face

19. jazzrawr

I like some of the songs, but the storyline sounds a bit boring. Never seen it, however.

20. GunStarre

GunStarre Guest

I loved the musical!!
    And the way it's written was amazing.
    I noticed that none of characters ever say anything vulgar when they're speaking to their peers or elders, except for when they break the fourth wall (sings a song, directly addresses the audience).
    This is a nice parallel to how teenagers are - some are very careful never to say any obscenity around their parents or teachers, yet, in their minds, the words "shit," "fuck," "bitch," etc. are so common. So common, in fact, that some can't think properly unless those words are included in their thinking process (well, at least this is the case for me and many of friends :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)