1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Writing thread! Read or post your stories here!

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by ForNarnia, Jul 2, 2015.

1. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So, I was talking to QuecksilverEyes and accidentally came up with a cool thread idea, so here it is.

How it works

1) Write a short description of your story / piece of writing

2) Copy and paste your story into the box

3) Put
    At the beginning of the story

4) Put [/SPOILER ] at the end (With no spaces)

For example:-

Goodbye, Old Friend

A very short piece I wrote for my English A-level.
    Goodbye, Old Friend

It was no surprise to me that I had once again come to rest upon the harsh pavement before the old church, it’s gravelly sharpness digging into my hands as they rested, palms down, against the cold ground.
    And in the darkness, I simply sat and stared up at the stone arches, once elaborate and smooth, now worn away by the cruelty of time. The metal arch over the rusted gates lingered above me, black with rust, its paint peeling away in crusty flakes. It all looked so decrepit now. Even the great glass windows were faded, brown where the sun had discoloured the aged paint, the glass filmy and ethereal in patches where it had been worn down, and caged by black mesh, in an attempt to protect them from vandalism. The grass grew too long, unkempt and uneven in the dismal light of the flickering streetlamp. If I didn’t know better, it would not be reckless of me to assume that this place had long since been abandoned and left to rot. But I did know better, and that only made the tragedy of its disfigurement all the worse. Tomorrow, the gates would open for the Sunday sermon, and one door would be opened half way to allow people entrance. Then, the sermon would draw to a close, and those heavy wooden doors would seal once again, like a coffin lid, until the following week. The gates would soon follow, the distinct screeching of rusty hinges signalling the return of the emptiness within. If the doors were a coffin lid, then the gates were the door to the crypt. When I was younger, when I would come and sat beneath the arch before the eternally closed gates, as I did now, I could imagine the church on a flickering monochrome screen at a half hour past bedtime, in some horror film that Miss Laylah would say I was too young to watch. And in my child’s eyes, as the church loomed before me, I could see a dark figure lurking in the window of the church, always fading into shadow the moment I saw it, like a ghost in the movies, or some kind of hideous aberration disfigured by the faults of its creator.
    The gates were still closed now, as I sat before them, and despite the years that separated that frightened little girl from the person that I was now, in that moment, as I looked up at the church window, I swore I saw the dark figure waving at me from behind the tarnished glass, grinning sadistically.
    ‘Welcome home, Zachriel’
    I cast aside the thought. I was no longer the child that had left this town, weak and afraid. I returned my gaze to that spectre of what once had been, the church.
    It seemed ironic, really, that in the end, we both shared the same fate.

At one time, the church would have been magnificent, with its high arching ceiling and dazzling glass murals spilling beams of coloured light onto the tiled floor when the sun filtered through the stained glass windows. I closed my eyes, and I could hear the chatter of the children who clung tightly to the hands of their parents, who, with a hand on each shoulder, reminded the child to behave, for they were entering a house of God. And within the sunlit hall was the Priest, clad in his robe and collar, his bald head reflecting the warm light of the sun as he greeted the churchgoers with a cheerful smile, a rosy nose and his arms raised in welcome. He would sneeze, hayfever, you see, and readjust the spectacles that sat upon his nose as he turned to climb the steps to the pulpit, which was dressed with a vivid red to signify the coming of easter, and the spillage of the blood of Christ on this palm Sunday. The vicar himself wore a red amice about his broad shoulders to match the fabric that spilled from the top of the pulpit, and as the last of the bustling churchgoers were seated and fell into silence, with his roaring voice, filled with hope and power, he would call upon the organist to play the first hymn, and the church would be filled with warmth and light as liquid voices would reverberate throughout the building. The doors would never close in my mind. Those rusted gates stood proud and strong in the valley of my imagination, with a large wax candle burning in the lantern that hung from the metal arch. Those gates were not rusted, and they did not screech when opened, for they had never known what it was to be closed.
    A drop of rain landed upon my head, snapping me back to reality, and once again, I sat in the darkness before the ruined church.
    I took one last look at the old church, eyes grazing over each mark on that weathered old door, each chip in the stone of that tired old wall, and turned away for the final time.
    “Goodbye, old friend”

Ambriel

There are some bonds that cannot be broken by death.

“Go away, Amy!”
    She slumped onto her bed, pulling her knees up to her chest, folding her arms and pouting furiously.
    “I know you’re there! It’s your fault I’m a freak! Just go away!”
    I sat down next to her on the bed, and once again wished I could put my arm around her to let her know I was here.
    “Ambriel! Go away! I hate you!!!” she sobbed loudly. The sound of it tore my heart in two. I should have left her alone.

She never asked for me to die. She never asked for me to beg that I be left on Earth, with her. All she wanted was to go to school, play with her friends, and forget that she ever had a sister. I’d never tell her how much that hurt, though. I’d caused her enough trouble already. Not that I regretted what I did, not even for a second. If I wouldn’t have ran into the road, if I hadn’t pushed her away, then she would be the one who died. I’m her big sister, I have to protect her.

I remember it so vividly. Sometimes, it’s hard for me to remember anything else. School had just finished, and my twin sister Angie and I were crossing the road on the way home. We wore matching green checked dresses, and our hair was in matching pigtails, though mine were messy and falling out. I never really knew how Angie kept her hair so neat all day when there were fields to run through and mud-castles to make. I remember holding my mother’s hand, and Angie holding mine. Even though she was born only two minutes after me, she was considerably shorter than I was. I remember that. She smiled up at me, and we giggled as we swapped hair-bows. Mum always hated it when we mixed all of our things up. We were her “silly little angels”, and we were happy. I remember what happened next. I will never forget. She was right, it was all my fault, just not in the way she thought. I let go of her hand for just a second while I pulled up my muddy knee-socks, and when I looked back up, she was gone. Mum had turned around to talk to one of the other mums while they waited for the green man to signal that it was safe to cross, and she couldn’t see Angie making her way across the road, just as a red car flung itself around the corner. I remember everything. And it hurts. I wrenched my hand away from my mother’s, and I’ll never forget the way she tried to hold onto me as I ran into the road after Angie. I could hear my mum screaming behind me, desperately running to catch up with me, but all I could think about was Angie. I had to get to her. I was her big sister, I had to protect her.
    The next few seconds happened in slow motion. I pushed Angie towards the pavement, turning my head just in time to see the screaming face of the man behind the car windscreen, desperately applying the brakes. But it was too late. He was trying to save a dead girl. I caught a glimpse of my mother from the corner of my eye, her arm outstretched to me, still a few feet away. And then, the sun was too bright, and the screams of the people around me were too loud. There was just pain. It hurt to breathe. It hurt to open my eyes. It hurt to scream. I screamed a lot. My ribs hurt, it felt like something was cutting me open from the inside out, but I smiled. Because I saw her. My sister was alive. I saved her. I was her big sister, and I protected her. My mum knelt down beside me. She was talking, but I couldn’t hear what she was saying. She was asking me to stay with her, but I didn’t understand - where else would I go? I felt someone squeezing my hand, and I realised Angie had grabbed my hand and tried to pull me to safety as the car had hit me. She didn’t let go. Not even when the car ran straight through me, merely a foot away from her. Even now, covered in blood and broken and screaming, she held onto my hand. And she smiled, even through her tears, because she knew I needed her to. She didn’t say a word. She didn’t have to. In the chaos around me, I wouldn’t have heart. She held my hand because she wasn’t ever going to let me go. And I died knowing that my sister loved me. The last thing I saw was my sister signing in our secret sign language. She signed “thank you.”

She kept holding my hand until the ambulance came to take me away, even though I was unable to feel it. I never wanted to leave her like that. I never wanted her to have to stand by a corpse that looked just like her. I couldn’t bare the thought of her sitting on a church pew as her other half’s body in its too-small coffin was carried past her.

She never let go. Not until the paramedics dragged her away from my lifeless body. So how could I let go when Death came to take me? I begged to stay. And Death offered me a deal. I was able to stay with her, but she could never see me. And that’s how I ended up here.
    She knows I’m here, but she can’t see me. No-one does. Mum and Dad are afraid of me. When Angie told them she was talking to me for the first time, they looked so scared. I didn’t understand. It’s just me, I’m still the same, I’m just dead now. We learned to hide my presence from them, but sometimes, like today, Angie would let something slip, and they’d call the doctor to talk to her. They think she’s crazy, and it’s all my fault.
    They even tried to send me away. They had a man come to house to perform some sort of ritual. It didn’t work, though. I don’t really know why, I wanted to leave. I don’t want people to think Angie’s crazy because of me.

Through it all, here I am. My name is Ambriel, and I am Angie’s big sister, and I will protect her for the rest of her life.

Without the stars, the sky would surely die.

Surreal fantasy about how love created all.

Before the days of the meat-men, like you and I, there lived upon this earth many species of strange and ethereal creatures.

It was not uncommon, on a warm summer’s night, that one should meet a sun-wolf. These creatures were far from the wolves you and I know of today, for these wolves were emblazoned with the crest of the fire-beings, and their fur was not of strands of hair, but of burning tendrils of flame. These fiery beasts often found companionship in the sky-men, who were not so different from you and I, in shape, but their skin was fashioned from the fine silk of the very air we breathe. Upon the meeting of two such creatures, both sky-man and sun-wolf would transcend their Earth-bound fellows, and make the light of the nearest star so much brighter. This, as you may have read, is how our world came to be lit by the sun. With each wolf that found its match, the sun would grow slightly brighter. There is some speculation as to how this came to be, but that is another tale for another day.

Then, there were the cloud-beings- dragon-like creatures fashioned from the delicate white fog of the very clouds beneath which you sit, which shifted shape with the change of their mood, and grew heavy and pendulous with precipitation when saddened. These creatures found they were best paired with the sky-men, but often found their happiness with the water-nymphs, the mountain-lynx, and sometimes, were the circumstances just right, they would find comfort in the arms of the metal giants.

The creatures of this Earth coexisted in this way for many a year, until slowly but surely, the meat-men emerged from the Earth’s crust.
    The Earth, they said, had been created when matter itself fell in love with the nothingness. But their love was not to be, for when they touched, the nothingness crumbled, and matter was spread across the universe, far and wide. They say that even now, the universe expands and grows, because despite everything, matter is still reaching out to the nothingness, wanting nothing more than the grasp of its lover’s hand.
    When matter and the nothingness first met, there came a tribe of creatures known as the timeshifters, large black birds, slightly reminiscent of a raven or a crow, but by far larger in size, who bore the image of time itself within their eyes.
    They flew around the barren space, and where they came into contact with matter, they created the planets. Some times, if you open your eyes very quickly, you may catch a glimpse of one flying past, though you must make haste in doing so, as the timeshifters fly so quickly, they cause time itself to move along.

Upon the Earth came creatures of light, and of darkness, or fire, and of ice. And when they looked into the eyes of their soulmates, they joined together as one to form everything in our universe. You see, everything you take for granted, the sun, the trees, even the ground beneath your feet, was formed when these beings found one another.

And this was how the world carried on, for millions of years, creating animals, plants, and even the sea. Of course, it was well known that a fire-being could never bond with a denizen of ice, nor could a cloud-being join with a groundling.
    The only species that seemed unaffected by this was the sky-men. They were known to bond with any species they so chose, which made them stand out very much so from the rest of the species. You see, the more open a person is to others, the far more beautiful they become. Which is why, without contest, the sky is so indefinitely beauteous. Everchanging, yet ever perfect, even in tones of grey and rain.
    Unlike the other species, for every sky-man that joined with another to become part of the universe, another emerged. Even when the last ice-stag left this Earth, the sky-men remained. But they were alone, for all of the other species had become one with the universe, their tasks complete. The sun was full and bright, the mountains were capped with ice and the water filled with new and exotic life, yet something was wrong with the sky. It was incomplete.

And then, they came, emerging from the water like once-dormant Gods awoken from a deep slumber. They were the star-creatures, and they were beautiful. The sky people were afraid. They had heard stories of these creatures before, but never had they expected that they were real. Yet here they were.
    And one by one, the sky-men met with the star creatures, and the Earth grew emptier and emptier.
    Though the Earth was filled with life, and the meat-men roamed the world happily and freely, for Judin, a sky-man, it seemed empty. He had spoken to many star-creatures, yet he refused to meet their eye, lest he see the eyes of his soulmate staring back, and be taken away from his home on Earth forever. There came a day when there were only two sky-men left on Earth.
    Her name was Erin, and she was an old friend of his. He would never forget the smile dancing on her face as she locked eyes with her star-creature, and the two dissolved into the night sky.

Then, he was alone. He would often look up at the sky and wonder what could possibly be missing from it’s beautiful surface. He had taken to speaking to a star-creature named Tharonus, and they spent many nights in the light of the moon, just glad of each other’s company. Still, Judin refused to look into his eyes. He had grown so accustomed to life on this rock that he could not bear the thought of leaving it all behind, even if it meant spending the remainder of his life as the last of his species. At least Tharonus was there beside him.

They often spoke of their absent kin. They had watched as the sun, moon and sky had been formed by their pairings, and yet remained puzzled as to why the sky had not changed, even with the joining of so many sky-men with the star-creatures.

“Perhaps there truly is nothing awaiting us”, Tharonus suggested one dry summer’s eve, many years after the two had been left alone on this Earth. They were many decades older now, yet still youthful in appearance. Time had so little effect on the creatures of old. It is odd to think that such good friends could exist, having never seen each other’s faces.
    “Perhaps not. I do not know if I speak for you, also, when I say that I am perfectly happy here”
    “You do. I am in total agreement. I am in want of nothing more than this beautiful world, the life within it, and the company of the last sky-man”
    “May I ask you a question?” Judin asked.
    “Of course.”
    “For all the time that I have known you, and for all that we have spoken, I haven’t the faintest idea what you look like, my friend. Does that not strike you as odd?”
    Judin saw Tharonus’ shoulders shrug beside him. “It is true, I suppose, that we have never quite dared to look one another in the eye, for fear that we would join our kin in the next life.”
    “Why do we fear such a thing, Tharonus, when only the gaze of a soulmate could cause such a thing to happen?”
    Tharonus nodded silently, for he knew the answer all too well, yet he feared that while Judin was the most important person in all of existence to him, that Judin did not feel the same way about him. By not meeting his gaze, Tharonus saved himself the pain of realising that Judin was not his sky-man, and he was not Judin’s star-creature, rather that they were merely remnants of their great races, left behind, unpaired, determined to forever roam a plane which no longer belonged to them. By refusing to meet his eyes, he refused to admit that they were not soulmates. It hurt less this way.
    “I do not know, Judin” He replied, cringing at the sound of the hoarseness of his own voice.
    “I believe I do, Tharonus. I believe I have always known. We have lived for an awfully long time, my dear star-creature,I fear I may not have much longer left to bask in the light of this new world. And if you’re willing, I would very much like to see the face of my most cherished friend before I lose the light of this life forever.”
    Tharonus closed his eyes and bowed his head. “And should we be soulmates?”
    Judin smiled and placed his hand on Tharonus’ shoulder, admiring the odd orbs of light that shone in the inky blue contours of his skin. “Then we shall spend the rest of eternity making up for the mistakes of our youths.” Judin stared off into the distance, taking in the beautiful sunset. How he would miss that orange sky and the pink clouds above. How he would miss this world, with it’s fascinating creatures and it’s men of meat, who built such odd structures.
    Tharonus took a deep breath and looked up at Judin, for the first time, unashamedly taking him in, the smile in his eyes, the curve of his smile as he gazed out onto the sunset. Surely any moment, he would turn and shatter the illusion Tharomus had fought so hard to hold on to. It mattered not, for in that moment, Tharomus was able to look at his love without fear. He fought to remember every detail. This was the last time he could ever pretend he had a soulmate.

Judin smiled at the sunset, feeling Tharonus’ gaze grazing over his every detail. Yet, he was too afraid to turn to face him, no longer for fear that he would meet the eyes of his soulmate, but for fear that he would not. Bracing himself, he turned to Tharonus.

And with the last of the burning light slowly sinking below the hills, he gazed into the eyes of the star-creature, and he saw a million sunsets within them. And so it was that the stars met the sky, and finally, the world was complete.

My writing is not amazing, but you get the gist.

I think that if this takes off, it could be a really great place to read stories written by your fellow ECers :slight_smile:

2. asphalt

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    you've got some good concepts here, your writing is pretty solid. not sure what the self-deprecation is for. that last piece deserves some real attention.

i generally toss around poetry and flash fiction.

it's not a statement, i'm just lazy.
    we're dying with laughter,
    dying on someone else's doorstep - yours
    a strange, bright glow engulfing the hallway
    that collapses into ultraviolent radiation,
    old stories, deserted laboratories
    and i was all of these things -
    the wastelands between here and Heysham power station,
    an empty forest of pylons, a god
    in the wind that cut a slack limp through Caton
    and killed her windmills and her reflection
    on the other side of the world,

watching the millennium destroy itself
    in the bleached carcass of a synagogue.

i've admitted almost everything and you are picking up speed,
    you are racing the wrong way down the motorway
    skidding splinters between rush hour traffic
    multiplying and dividing until the planet is a duplicate
    of a duplicate of an echo imprinted
    on the rearview mirror
    in which we watched the reflection of ourselves
    in each other's eyes -
    you at the wheel,
    me in the backseat shouting directions
    the road a black blur invisible
    behind threads of condensation.

i'm trying to be honest,
    but i keep tripping up in the river.
    it comes off in layers -
    sheets of fat like gutting catfish in the Lune,
    caught at low tide, gasping.

3. asphalt

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    uhh, so i realised there's a poetry thread because my observation skills are clearly magnificent this week.

so here's a more appropriate piece of writing to make up for the brainfart.

I met God on the rooftop of an apartment block one black afternoon in Paris. He walked with a limp and had silver pennies where his teeth were missing and he was younger than I had ever been. Spray paint scripture on dirty subway tunnels didn't prepare me for the way his face made me sick with fear.

In secret I'd sometimes creep backstreet paths towards crippled churches and slip quiet into half-burnt pews and search among the cinders for scraps of bible pages. Once I found a whole book beneath a broken altar. Blind preachers filled the corners of grey streets, piled together babbling Revelation, but I turned to the first few chapters because I'd already heard the end, and maybe we could just start over.

Collapsed at the muddy feet of the Creator, those ripped-up bits of testament were no more than ash.

I begged God for a reset button and he looked at me so sad I thought my heart might break. Said he could see gospels on my hands, that I shouldn't ever let that ink run out. When I looked my nails were filthy and bleeding and I could still see the ghosts of words and numbers ingrained into my fingertips, and I got scared how quick they were rubbing away. I didn't know how to save them, because I was never taught how to hold onto something as intangible as faith.

That night I slept wide-eyed shaking down into the idiot core of me, staring dreamless at my hands that in the dark were only meat. I told them stories of small things they couldn't recall, of toothbrushes and Styrofoam cups and plastic bottles and clean sheets, of tangled hair and legs and girls who tucked into their centre and bent around all the crooked angles they pressed shivering against morning warmths. I tried to ignore the frozen shape of bible verses twisted palsy-like across my knuckles, but it was hard to pretend I still remembered what skin felt like, so I lied to my hands and they hated me for it.

4. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Most of my in-progress novel is satisfactory for my own taste. But the beginning has dogged me since, well, the beginning. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I have posted other versions of it on a highly critical writing forum and have not found out what they want it to be. Does anybody else have ideas of how it could be improved?

Paper Castle
    What is the use of a house if you haven't got a tolerable planet to put it on? –Henry David Thoreau

I

Vice Admiral Morgan cleared his throat. More so than the flotilla under his command, his voice served to project his authority. He would not have climbed so high within the Entente Space Corps without its influence. Even when divorced from his body by ten thousand miles over radio, his gravelly baritone seized the attention of his subordinates and superiors alike. He conveyed his sober tone to one such subordinate, Lieutenant Commander Gavin Franklin, as well as the words, “Commander, how's my orbit look?”

Questions like the one posed to the starship officer frequently required some reading between the lines. He could not have been asking about the literal airspace security even with such direct phrasing. Any in the position to know would describe the planet Enton's placid skies as "quieter than the rest of space," in no small part because the world's dozens of cities were defended by as many bases and space stations. There were only those few, too, because pirates had found little luck in the system's locked-down trade lanes, instead choosing to prey on softer targets. What Morgan meant with the question was something else entirely.

No matter his motive for asking, he could justify doing so. Innumerable lives and dollars in the form of a new shield ship were drifting from their planned trajectory in formation between the SCS Bucephalos and SCS Red Hare. More important was the fact that the gleaming vessel in question, the SCS Gringolet, represented an ambitious move by the Space Corps brass. The ship was the pet project of Morgan’s immediate supervisor, Admiral Arthur, who would not see her mothballed like so many pipe dreams.

The vice admiral's critical attitude did not propagate all the way through Gringolet's crew. A festive mood had diffused even through the command staff of the ship, along with whatever precious wine rations could be smuggled into duty stations. The launch of such a cutting-edge warship was a memorable event on its own, ignoring the fact that this vessel's dedication had come within two weeks of Christmas. The captains of the other ships shared the cheer too, opening the conference projector to gather at least by hologram. “Clear, sir,” Commander Franklin answered, “We're sharp up here.”

The background noise on the radio included Arthur chiding Morgan, "Relax, will you? You've got a good crew in that tub." Franklin's comm scratched a little as the older man joined the channel in earnest. "Don't listen to him. You're doing a fine job, and that ship should serve you well. The only shame is that I have to celebrate here at the fort instead of up there with you and your merry band of space men."

Franklin stifled a smile. Admiral Arthur commanded over a hundred thousand personnel and a trillion dollars' worth of hardware. Yet after decades of wars, policies, and desk work, and no matter the frequency of trips between worlds, his childlike lust for space never dulled. When tempted with the majesty of the cosmos, even the jaded warhorse he was turned back into a kid playing make-believe in a decorated cardboard box. Franklin, however, did not share his enthusiasm. He too nurtured some emotion about space, but felt that this starry-eyed wonder was a distraction to be avoided. Every bit of space's grandeur concealed two parts danger. Discipline was paramount.

The stargazer on the ground seemed to forgive the commander for his envious position up in orbit. "Eh, I've had my time I suppose. On the business side though, I will need a comprehensive performance report before we get further into the party. The least I expect out of Gringolet is a plump war story or two."

"Sorry you can't share in the fun, sir," Franklin answered, suddenly feeling a pit form in his stomach when beeping indicators interrupted him, "But that war story might be on its way.”

A swarm of warp signatures had begun filling sensor screens. What must have been several hundred ships were now some thousands of kilometers above Enton's surface, well within range to bombard precision targets. The Free Fleet terrorists were here and closing. Streaks of incandescence from huge rail cannons in the distance cut the blackness.

Arthur spoke up. “I'll be damned. There are a lot of them. Let’s earn our paycheck, gentlemen.”

Morgan began shouting to the Corps ships, “Contact! Form up, everybody! Shield ships to intercept zones goddamn yesterday! Line ships, a debris shower better be lighting up my atmosphere in five minutes, and it will go through you to do it!”

Franklin had his orders. “You heard the man,” he said to the ship’s helmsman, who nodded his response and began maneuvering into the sudden storm of enemy fire.

^^Asphalt, I am impressed by your "met God" piece. It is evocative and artistic. :grin: Is that part of a novel or just a standalone? Because I'd like to know where you're going with it hehe.

#4 Argentwing, Jul 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
  5. 101DeadRoses

Wow. Just... wow. That is simply incredibly. You have a real talent, and I cannot even really nitpick about the very minor grammar errors sparsely sprinkled in one or two of the stories. They're common errors anyway.
    You need to write a book or a play or SOMETHING because THIS is some of the greatest writing I have ever seen.

6. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Aww :slight_smile: Thank you so much! :grin: I expected there'd be a few grammatical errors because I didn't proofread any of them but the first one, so sorry about that :slight_smile:

7. QuecksilverEyes

I'm quite self conscious about my English, so if you find any mistakes or thngs you would phrase differently because it sounds strange, please tell me.

A short story I wrote within a few hours because creativity hit me. The inspiration was 'at first glance' ^^
    „Happy Birthday to you.“ The girls sing loud and wrong. Their eyes glow and everyone of them has a parcel in front of them, neatly wrapped in pretty paper. He looks at the book he bought for Amelie, it’s provisionally packed in a few layers of newspaper. What a despicable sight, he thinks and throws a quick glance at Luise. She is beautiful, as always. She pinned her dark curls up and the dress she’s wearing accentuates her curves perfectly. She sings, too, but she doesn’t take her eyes off of Amelie.
    “Come on, blow out the candles, or it’s a wax cake in the end.” One of the girls grins broadly and points at the chocolate cake with the seventeen candles on it. Amelie smiles. „What, you don’t want to eat a lump of wax? I’m disappointed!“ Luise hides her giggle behind her right hand and he starts laughing. Her giggle always causes him to laugh. Amelie, who ties her hair up to not accidentally burn it, looks at him, surprised.
    „Hey, your boyfriend is laughing, Amelie, what happened there?” It’s a blonde girl this time. She has nails, long enough for him to worry about his skin. Amelie takes the hair ribbon off her wrist and uses it to hold her hair in place. “Everybody has their own humour.“
    „I’m sorry, Amelie, but your jokes are really bad. Why would he laugh?“ She stares at him uncomprehendingly. He sighs silently. He doesn’t quite understand why Amelie invited almost her whole class. She could’ve celebrated with a smaller group just the same.
    „I like Amelie’s jokes“, he says. The blonde snorts. „You’re just playing with me.“ Even though he doesn’t look her way, he knows that Luise bites on her lower lip and frowns. He knows her facial expressions. “No.” His fingers dig themselves into the newspaper. It rustles. Amelie sighs. „Leave him alone, my jokes aren’t that bad.“ She glances at the blonde girl. “So; I have to make a wish while I blow the candles, right?” With these words she bows her head towards the cake and blows out all seventeen candles at once.
    The girls clap and cheer. Amelie grins. Her brown eyes glow. She may not be a beauty like Luise is, but once she’s happy she’s unbelievably attractive. He smiles and his grip on the newspaper loosens a bit.
    “Mine first!“ The smallest girl stretches to seem taller and holds her parcel towards Amelie. Impolite brat, he thinks and the smile disappears from his face. Amelie takes the present from the girl and opens it. She slowly removes the tape from the wrapping paper, one with pink hearts. She hates the sound of tearing paper and often keeps the wrapping paper to re use it, especially if she likes it. Hopefully this one ends up in the trash and never seey daylight again. It’s hideous.
    Under the cheesy hearts there’s a manicure set and he really has to pull himself together not to get loud. He promised Amelie to behave. Carefully, he looks at Luise, who sits right next to him. At least Amelie managed to do that. Thank god. Luises lips are just a line and she looks as furious as he feels.
    “Thanks.“ Amelie smiles insecurely. „It’s very pretty, I’m sure I’ll use it a lot in the future.” He rolls with his eyes. She doesn’t even need nail scissors, what is she supposed to do with a manicure set? Luise puts a hand on his right thigh. He inhales deeply and closes his eyes to calm down. Amelie strikes the set and puts it down on the table. Her nails are bitten down to the lowest point. One of her worst habits.
    The rest of the girls give their presents in groups and Amelie probably won’t use three of them, ever. A key fob in the shape of a bee, an USB-flash-drive and a sewing set, those are things she will never need. She thanks the girls and he gets more angry with each present she gets. He doesn’t understand why she invited them if they don’t even know what to give her.
    Before Amelie unwraps his gift, or Luise’s, she leans back and smiles. “Do you want to go downstairs to the living room and pick out a movie for us to watch?” The blonde frowns. „But you didn’t unwrap two presents, Amelie. I want to know what the give to you.“ Amelie smiles. “Yes, I know, but I also know how longit takes you to find something everybody likes. I’ll take the presents downstairs and show them to you later, okay?“ The blonde nods and vanishes, squealing and laughing, together with the others. One of the girls takes the cake with her.
    Luise, who has been dangerously quiet for half an hour now, folds her arms as soon as the girl closes the door. “Why did you invite those geese, Amelie?” Amelie sits down on one oft he wooden chairs. „I’m sorry, I don’t know what’s the matter with them today, they’re not that unbearable usually.“ He grimaces and puts the book in the newspaper on the table. “I wouldn’t have a problem with being nice and friendly for one afternoon but why do you let them stay the night? Your parents haven’t been out for weeks and you promised us to spend your birthday with us, to make ourselves a nice evening.” Amelie buries her head in her hands. Luise stands up and places herself next to her. „Those girls are spending the night here?“ Amelie nods, leans back and opens her pony tail. The straight, brown hair falls onto her shoulders. It's a quite nice contrast to the light blouse she's wearing deliberately for today.It’s Luise’s favourite colour.
    “Only three of them. They drive home so long and I” He interrupts her. ”You let them persuade you.” She frowns. “I was nice.“ Luise massages her forehead. „You broke a promise, Amelie.“ Amelie looks up and looks at Luise. Tears glisten in her eyes. „I’m sorry“ She stands up and kisses Luise’s cheek. Luise turns her head away. Amelie hugs her from behind and puts a kiss onto Luise’s neck. “Please don’t be mad. The girls will be asleep very early. Once they’re sleeping soundly we have time for each other. I promise.” He sighs and walks over towards the girls.
    “Don’t give a promise you can’t keep“, he says quietly and wipes the tear off Luise’s face that has been rolling down her cheek. Luise doesn’t cry out of sorrow, she never did. She cries out of rage. Amelie burrows her face in Luise’s locks. She remains silent. Luise smiles at him. It’s a forced smile and she looks as frustrated as he feels. “You promised us the whole day. And now we have to be content with a few hours of stolen time? How long are those brats sleeping soundly enough for us not to worry about them waking up? Five hours? Four? And that's’supposed to compensate for a whole day?“ Amelie’s grip around Luise’s waist tightens. She doesn’t answer. Luise bites on her lower lip. „Amelie, stop that. I’m peeved at you.“
    Amelie doesn’t stop. He sighs quietly and loosens her grip around Luise. „Come on, you know how unbearable she gets if you touch her against her will.“ Amelie wraps her arms around him instead and kisses his collarbones. “I’m sorry”, she says. „I’ll throw them out early tomorrow and then we’ll have the whole day for us.” Luise goes to the window and opens it. „Your parents come home tomorrow around eight, which means that one of us has to leave at seven.” She inhales deeply, her shoulders raise and lower themselves slowly. “I’m loosing my patience soon. You’re just playing us along, Amelie. We both like you a lot, but you shouldn’t wait for us to be at the end of our tether.” Amelie hugs him tighter and buries her face in his shirt. It's green, he put it on just for her. To celebrate this day. To show her how much it means to him that she kept this day free from anybody besides them. That didn’t work, apparently.
    “She’s right.“ He plays with her hair. „We will get tired of waiting for you to gift us with five hours a month. You are a very special girl, but I’ve had enough of that. I don’t want to hide Luise. She belongs to us, Amelie. You will have to tell your parents eventually.”
    Amelie shakes her head. She cries. „Please, don’t force me. I don’t want to scream it out into the world. What do you expect of me? That I stand up and tell everybody I’m bisexual and in a commited relationship with two people?I can’t do that.”
    Luise turns around, her dress swings around her legs. “Nobody said something about the world. Just tell your parents. We can’t even meet up at my place because you’re so scared of getting caught.“
    Amelie swallows. “Fine. I’ll tell my parents tomorrow. But don’t expect them tob e happy with that.“ Luise freezes. She stares at Amelie. „What?“
    He takes a step back and breaks the hug. „You’ll tell them?“ Amelie nods. „Yes.“
    She steps towards the table on shaky legs and takes his present. „Can I open this?“ He smiles and nods. Amelie opens it. It’s not just his gift, he and Luise decided to geive her something together. They both get a kiss.

8. 101DeadRoses

I don't have a story to post, just want to revive this thread. :slight_smile:

*Blows into thread's mouth whilst holding nose* BREATHE, DAMN YOU!