1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Milk

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Endlessnight500, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Endlessnight500

OMG, I just saw MILK at http://www.watch-movies.net/movies/milk It was Amazing. Wow, even tho I knew how it was going to end, it was so Powerful. It is an amazing documentation of the political career of Harvey Milk. I give it a 5/5. altho the movie is long, about 2 hours, its well worth sitting thru.

2. JayC

JayC Guest

yeah i wanna see it BUT why cant they get gay people to play gay people? i mean i thought there was hope JAmes Franco may be gay but he says he is not gay at ALL don't get our hopes like that it's just wrong

3. Greggers

Thank you for the link, ill try and stream and watch it tonight. I wanted to see it so bad, but they banned it from all the theatres near me i believe (or just dont have it) and even if it was playing i would have to go alone, ouch.

4. Greggers

W
    O
    W

*blink blink*

Im stunned. 100% absolutely stunned. Im still shacking in my chair, dried tear stains down my face. I just finished watching Milk from the link above and...wow...it was the most moving, passionate, intense and motivating piece of film i have EVER seen. Ive never been that moved by anything. Sean Penn was brilliant, just brilliant. No, make that EVERYONE was brilliant! The speeches in the film moved me so much, the end one made me cry like a baby. The message of hope was so strong, so powerful, and so important. I have a whole new look on how important Prop 8 is now, and all the gay rights i have in Canada. Its so important to realize how far we have come, and for us young people how far others came for us. If i was born only a few years earlier in Canada i would not enjoy even half the rights i do today. These rights are SO important, even if they dont affect you, even if you dont live in the state they are ruling over, because the hope they can send has NO boundaries! Taking a stand in the US, in Canada, wherever you are in the world, can affect us all. I feel so empowered after watching that. Before Christmas i think im going to come 100% out of the closet. This town im in needs change, and it needs role models. This film has reminded me that i dont have to wait for that change, i can BE that change.

"If a bullet goes through my brain, let it open closets across the country" - Harvey Milk

5. Henrike

...You can't be serious.

Anyway. I thought Milk was excellent. I only cried one tear at the end, but I'm not one to tear up easily. :badgrin: Aside from one very annoying character, the cast was omgwtfawesome. I couldn't help but think Sean Penn would make the greatest creeper, though. :icon_bigg Seriously, that long hair he had? Creepertastic.

6. boredofnormal

I was fortunate enough to see it in the theater with 4 other gay guys I know. You could have heard a pin drop in that theater. I loved the movie and even though I knew the story too, I couldn't help but cry.

I find it interesting that the same arguments and misconceptions that the religious crowd used then, are still being perpetuated today. It really makes me embarrased to be called a Christian!

A little humorous, if unrelated factoid...its easier to come out to straight friends as gay than to gay friends as a Christian!

7. Cheese Love

Thanks for the link! I'm watching it right now :]

Actually, up until a month or two ago I had no idea who Harvey Milk was. This is a learning experience for me.

8. SAGUY84

SAGUY84 Guest

I lasted about 15 minutes then got bored.

9. ampthejazz

I absolutely loved it. Everyone's performance was fantastic.

James Franco is so easy to fall in love with.

10. Nixon

Didn't like it

Frost/Nixon 4 Life!!!!!!

11. Jerr

I Know!

12. SlickyPants

I just got back from watching it with my mother and it was fantastic. Fortunately there was one theatre in town playing it.

Even though I am far to young to know what it was like back then I felt as though I was transported through time to San Francisco in the '70s. I don't mean to give too much away but the old news footage was a nice touch. I was also amazed at how much the actors looked like the real people they were portraying.

Even though I knew how it ended it still sent shivers down my spine. I've been meaning to get some friends together to go see it but everyone's schedules have been tight around this time of the year. Hopefully it will happen while it's still showing.

13. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I still haven't seen it myself, and I probably won't so long as it's in theaters - DVD time - but the other day I went to go see Valkyrie (no German accents...), and the three groups in front of my in the ticket line were all going to see Milk. And they didn't look like they were traveling together.

In Alabama, that's good news when three separate groups are going to see a movie that shows homosexuals in a positive way.

14. ColbieMarie

ColbieMarie Guest

Dude, I tried to see it last week with my best friend, and it wasn't playing anywhere. Wtf?

15. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

There aren't many movies that keep me in my state of catharsis (look that up if you don't know what it means; it's a very useful word.) after I leave the theatre; this was one of them. I also don't cry easily, but I did actually have watery eyes by the end of the film. Great story, great actors, great movie!

16. LornTehViking

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This film was great.
    Beyond great.
    Loved it.

17. acorn7

I finally saw it a few days ago and I really liked it. Everyone was great, and I loved the inclusion of real footage. And OMG, so many parallels between Prop 6 and Prop 8. Truly inspiring.

18. Jerr

I watched the first half and stopped. (I'm going to wait for a dvd or theater.)

I think James Franco should continue kissing boys. haha.

So far I'm loving the movie. It is funny but never loses its true meaning.

19. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

It was a good movie, watched it with my boyfriend and his little sister.

20. Brandford

You have expressed my feeling for me, I cried for over 30minutes after watching that movie, i was also a little angry:dry:, I had a Straight hating moment. I was enraged that they only gave that man FIVE YEARS, he should have gotten the death pentalty, and after the movie i read more about it on Wikipedia and i was so proud that over 30, 000 people walked the streets in his honor and I read about the White Night Riots which, even though i do not promote violence, i was extremely proud of because it showed that we wont just cower in our closets forever while we are denied our rights, we will fight which I think is just as important as peaceful protests. you need the Yin and the Yang to succeed, like Malcom X and Martin Luther King Jr., one did it the peaceful way and one did it the violent way, we need both. Balance is what makes the world go round

#20 Brandford, Jan 13, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2009