1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big Disappointments

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by thepandaboss, Jul 11, 2015.

1. thepandaboss

Ever had a book, movie, show, video game, etc that you were really, really excited about but for whatever reason, left you very disappointed? Either it didn't meet up to your expectations or it was genuinely terrible.

I'll start and this is what inspired me to make the thread. I'd picked up Kazuo Ishiguru's novel "Never Let Me Go" a while back. I'd heard a lot of good things about Ishiguru and a lot of critics loved "Never Let Me Go". It was supposed to be atmospheric, had a lot of weird tension, etc. The premise sounded great too. Literary scifi, basically.

A handful of British boarding school students find out that they've been bred to one day become organ donors

Well, it honestly took me three months to read the book and it was only like 300 pages. I had to force myself to push through it. I hated the characters, thought the plot was plodding and slow, and the premise fell flat halfway through.

Another disappointment for me was the Tales of the Darkside movie. It had good reviews on Netflix. I knew it wasn't going to be amazing but I figured it'd be some nice cheesy fun. What I got? Awful effects (even for the time!), hammy acting, a weird premise, and so many cliches that the movie wasn't even so bad it's good- it was so bland it was bland....

2. biswed

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Battlefield 4. It's better now when all the bugs and glitches are gone. Stupid EA pushing the launch date for pore Dice and a bunch of other game companies.

3. LesbianThrasher

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yes, the 2015 version of Godzilla. I've read some of the reviews other people made and with all the hype around I got super excited and knew I HAD to see it. Well, when that time came, you don't know how disappointed I was. I didn't care for the protagonist at all. When I watched the movie I thought that Bryan Cranston was going to be the main character but nope, he had to die early. Also, there was barely any Godzilla in it and whenever a fight scene would happen, it quickly switched to the next scene. That was so frustrating. There's a lot of things wrong with the movie but I guess some part of me actually did like it but it's so long and boring that I almost fell asleep.

4. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    When I had first heard about a Maleficent movie I was so excited! Cut to a year later when I saw it and I felt underwhelmed. It was okay but not spectacular.

5. Lyze of kiel

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The Legend Of Zelda: Hyrule Warriors. It was against my expectations, it was just a bad game, and I paid 20 good dollars for it.

6. mangotree

Almost every book > movie - or - cartoon > live action adaption that I've seen.
    (Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings not included)

Dragonball movie, Last Air Bender movie, Eragon movie, Death Note movies, Golden Compass movie to name a few.

7. Lazuri

The Secret World.

The atmosphere and the world in that game really intrigued me and I thought it was going to be awesome and then when the game finally came out, I realized that while the world itself was awesome, the actual game itself was garbage. It was just really boring to play and the game had the worst UI I've ever had to deal with in an MMO. I spent as much time fighting the UI as I did fighting enemies.

8. thepandaboss

Awesome examples so far.

Oh, I got another one. Nero. It's a game by this little independent studio. I had to do a review on it for a site I used to work for so I got a review copy. It was supposed to be this visual novel with a "tragic, twist filled story" and vibrant graphics.

The gameplay consisted of walking past blocks of text through bioluminescent forests. And yeah, floating boxes of text that had nothing to do with the game itself. There was some gibberish about pirates, a random fairy lady, and a dying kid. Even worse, there were apparently three stories and you had to guess which random box of text matched up with each story.

You controlled some weird hooded Mage dude. No explanation on who he was or the taller hooded companion you pick up later on.

Game was certainly beautiful- very bright- but it was also super buggy and parts of the game constantly crashed. And somehow, someway, that goddamned game got amazing reviews from everyone else! I feel like I played a completely different game.
    Maybe my editor was playing a joke on me.

9. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    *cringes* I like to pretend that never happened.

10. lostinthought9

I'll throw my cheap two cents in...

The book, "Serena" by Ron Rash, was great. The main character Serena was wickedly awesome and you couldn't help but love her even as a villain! So, imagine my excitement when I learn that they're making a film out of it starring Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper, right?

Wrong. After a lengthy wait for production pick-up, the film failed miserably. Not only was the production quality shady, but the writers changed the plot drastically from the book and completely transformed the main character. It was awful - total injustice.

11. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The Divergent series. I really enjoyed the first book, and was super excited to read the next two. I had high expectations which were let down horribly. Insurgent and Allegiant were boring, drawn out, and I had to force myself to finish them. You would've expected them to be as good as the first, especially with the whole "conspiracy theory" in Allegiant. It was disappointing to say the least.
    For the Insurgent movie, a lot of people may have thought they switched up the plots too much, but I actually preferred it to the book. There was just so much more going on!

12. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Em is hereby shunned for speaking of that which shall not be named!

Honestly, that and The Happening are what turned M. Night from a respected director into a target of shame and anger. Eugh; let's hope he can either redeem himself or live as a hermit on Corsica or something.

13. LesbianThrasher

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Wow, sorry you didn't enjoy the game. I, on the other hand, did and enjoyed playing it (despite the fact that it was probably too easy and repetitive). I found the game to be addicting for what it was and the storyline was somewhat okay but enjoyable.

14. Lazuri

For me, The Last Airbender was such a disastrous train wreck that the guy literally can not redeem himself in my eyes. It can not be done.

I'd go into what made it so horrible but I won't because you all know and also, this guy does it better.
    [YOUTUBE]nSu0HeRnG18[/YOUTUBE]

15. Rainbow Girl

I love "To Kill a Mockingbird" and I was excited for the sequel coming out on Tuesday but then I read some spoilers and I don't think I'm even read the sequel now cause I think it would disappoint me.

16. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Age of Conan. I thought it was so good first then I was just like... pff...

17. Connorcode

Connorcode Guest

Life of Pi. I appreciate it, as in I know why other people like it, but I don't like it.
    "Oh yeah, my family died on that ship... What?! Why on earth would I be more upset about that than about a tiger leaving me?"
    The moral of the story: if you don't like reality, lie, because that really makes God look good and totally doesn't undermine Pi's polytheism by arguably implying that all religions are pure lies.

This is my reading, I hasten to add.

18. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh my gosh I love nostalgia critic! I saw his review and died laughing

19. galaxygia

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was really disappointed when I saw Jurassic Park for the first time a couple weekends ago. It was just...so...predictable... (And totally not scary. My dad and I laughed hysterically for the last 15 minutes of it.)

And there is the all time worst TV show I have ever seen. 'Charmed'. (Well, okay, I've only seen the majority of the first season but still) It's awful. There is literally no continuity, no plot, nothing interesting about the characters beyond their powers, and pretty much every character that is not in the opening credits either is making a very small cameo or is the half-heartedly written villain of the episode. I could write a better TV show than Charmed. I don't know why it was so popular in the 90s.

20. Posthuman666

My spooky disappointments.

The Ring. I was told it was a terrifying movie, but it really just had a weird plot and shoddy acting. The killer video itself, however, was kinda interesting. It was unsettling.

Every Saw movie after the third. I love all the Saw movies, but with every movie the plot gets worse and the gore gets bumped up. Not a real problem if your a gorehound like me, but it seriously lacked some good story.