1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jazz

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Sartoris, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Lately I've been getting (back) into jazz music, mainly focusing on performers/leaders prominent from the forties through the sixties [spilling into before and after that period too] such as Charles Mingus, Ellington, also trying to branch into Thelonious Monk and John Coltrane.

Honestly I'm very much a novice when it comes to this genre, I don't have a technical understanding of music and it's a little tricky appreciating the uniqueness of these different artists at times without that I feel. Which is part of the reason I wished to create this thread, in order to connect with enthusiasts as well as share music such as on the other music threads.

Revisiting this right now:

[YOUTUBE]zN8KkMCP7Zk[/YOUTUBE]

2. souverian

Mm, I love jazz!

I always tend toward really odd bands, but if I had any suggestions they would be Tigran Hamasyan, Mouse on the Keys, and maybe Jizue or Indigo Jam Unit. I'm really into club jazz, so it's going to be mostly that. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

[YOUTUBE]gzFAR6aN20g[/YOUTUBE]

That said, a few years back I used to be really into Dizzy Gillespie and Wynton Marsalis.

I vividly remember coming home from school and dancing around to Dizzy's "Bebop".

#2 souverian, Jul 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  3. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Gillespie's another I want to explore, I've only heard 'Salt Peanuts'... What do you like of his?

4. souverian

His version of On the Sunny Side of the Street is phenomenal.

[YOUTUBE]G4H9k-d9fBk[/YOUTUBE]

Other than that, I don't remember much what I listened to from him. I go through volumes of music very quickly, and this was years ago. If you're interested, maybe just go through the suggestions on the side and see where it leads you.

5. Sartoris

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So far I've mainly been going off Wikipedia, what I can learn about different albums and/or tracks, then going with what makes me curious.

To continue:

[YOUTUBE]A3smUEzIqiI[/YOUTUBE]