1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I discovered Vinyl. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Kodo, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Recently I got a phonograph/cd player/cassette player/radio thingy. It's awesome and looks vintage, despite incorporating new tech. Anyways, I got a couple records to start off with (both are film scores, since I had no idea where to start). But I'd like more suggestions for vinyls that are good.

I like music from 60s and back. Or 90s and forward (which I realize probably won't be in vinyl at that point).

I wanted to find The Beatles and Elvis, since I know they're good. Are there some more famous ones I should look into? I'll take any suggestions - as I'm rather ignorant.

But I'm loving my phonograph, it sounds so good.

2. Posthuman666

I just recently got into vinyl, and really, just get what albums you like. Look for what artists you like and pick up some albums.

And actually, a lot of bands and artists still make vinyl. Bands I like have released vinyl this year. It is not a dead system, but one held dear to many music fans.

Good luck!

3. Ryu

Ryu

Congratulations!
    Ironically enough I just found out there's a vinyl store in my village, and there's no other music shop for about an hour and a half, so I'll probably look into vinyl myself.

Anyway, Buddy Holly's good, though albums are hard to get hold of as he mainly did singles, but his singles are easy to get (seriously, That shop I mentioned has like three singles). Zep I and II are 60's. Always good to have a bit of Led Zeppelin. Zep 4's my personal favourite but that's '71... 90's and later I'd go for Nevermind by Nirvana (Yes, I just checked you can get it on vinyl) and Brothers by the black keys.

But that's what I'd get... Just go buy whatever you like.

4. blackhatguy

I'd recommend Pink Floyd. Some of their earlier stuff I think is weird, but The Wall was amazing IMIW.

5. Ryu

Ryu

^ 70's, not '60's.

Though Dark Side and The Wall are two of my favourite albums of all time.

Ooh yeah, forgot to add some rolling stones stuff to my list.

#5 Ryu, Jul 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  6. MusicEilidh

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Oh, I LOVE vinyl! My dad has a huge collection, mostly of The Beatles and David Bowie, and I'm starting to get my own little collection too, which I love to just sit and look at :slight_smile: Some are second-hand from charity shops, and are mostly classical records, like the Nutcracker suite and the Swan Lake suits - and due to their age and not being in perfect condition, they crackle a little as I listen to them, but that just adds to it for me.

I've also got a few vinyl albums released in the past year or so, and they're equally good - so you can always take a look and see if any bands/artists you like have released albums on vinyl?

7. Acm

Acm Guest

I like vinyl too, I have a record player and a little collection but I usually prefer CDs for general purchases because they're more convenient than vinyl.

Pink Floyd has some albums from the 60s (I really like The Piper at the Gates of Dawn), and for other good 60s bands you could try The Kinks, The Beach Boys, and The Velvet Underground. I don't listen to much music from before the 60s (I used to a lot but then I stopped) but Buddy Holly is pretty good. I could be wrong about this, but it seems to me that music back then was more singles driven than album focused.

For 90s and on music, I recommend Nirvana definitely. I don't know what kind of music you usually like, but there's lots of good albums by Radiohead. Lots of moden bands do still release vinyl, especially because they're making a bit of a comeback now.

8. Formality

I have a small collection myself but my dad has a huge collection of vinyls that is just pure gold.
    It would really help if you listed some kind of genre or something so we know what to suggest :lol: there's so many amazing albums from that era I could sit here all day writing. Here's some of the best rock bands and albums from the 60's 70's in my opinion:

Led Zeppelin This band literally change my life. My favourite album would have to be Houses of the Holy because it contains two of my top three favourite songs by them, The Rain Song and Over the Hills and Far Away. Honestly though, their whole discography is freaking fantastic, so I really recommend you go fetch some Led Zeppelin vinyls. Physical Graffiti is also an amazing, amazing album.

The Rolling Stones Some really great albums are Exile on Main Street, Sticky Fingers and my favourite Beggars Banquet.

The Beatles - The White Album is an obvious pick here, you need this album. Abbey Road is also a great album also check out Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band.

Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon (TDSOTM) One of the best albums you'll ever hear. Easily the best by Pink Floyd and also a must have. The Wall is also an amazing album. Wish You Were Here suuuch a great album!

Fleetwood Mac albums Tusk and Rumours. What more can I say? I've spent many hours listening to Rumours.

Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland contains some of my favourite songs by hendrix: Burning of the Midnight Lamp, Voodoo Child, Crosstown Traffic and of course All Along the Watchtower.

Simon & Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water

Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath Easily one of the best if not the best heavy metal album ever in my opinion.

The Who - Who's Next for the obvious reason that Baba O'reilly is found on this album :lol: But honestly there's a few really great songs on there.

Some bands worth checking out:
    The Kinks, The Byrds, The Doors, Jefferson Airplane, Creedence Clearwater Revival.

If you're interested in Jazz, blues or soul I can list some really great ones. I won't for now though.

#8 Formality, Jul 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  9. Sevan

I don't know if you like Swing, but Sinatra is like my hero. And by far, the best vinyl of his I've owned (and I own a lot) are Francis A. and Edward K., since it was at the peak of his career and Mood Indigo, which has this lovely, lonesome, heartbroken sound that I feel you don't often get from Sinatra.

Otherwise, Ella Fitzgerald is a gem on there. If you can find an album with her singing Dream a Little Dream of Me with Louis Armstrong, I recommend giving it a listen on vinyl. Just as well, the Mama Cass version of it sounds incredible on vinyl as well.

As for modern day, I don't know what sort of music you're into. But there's this incredible album by The Antlers called Hospice, which I recommend checking out and seeing if you like the sound. I have it on vinyl, and it's incredible to me. Definitely one of my favorite things to listen to on a rainy day.

Otherwise, The Ink Spots, Bill Haley and his Comets, Eddie Cochran, Billie Holiday, Eartha Kitt, The Coasters, The Supremes, Marvin Gaye and Glenn Miller are some pretty common ones from past eras to get started on. That covers swing, some bluesy songs, Rockabilly, Jazz, Doo-Wop, Motown and Big Band. For a good exception to the rule, I'd check out The Stray Cats. They're an 80s to 90s group with a masterful hold on a punk/rockabilly sound. Sounds great.

10. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Fire of Unknown Origin by Blue Osyter Cult used to be a favourite of mine :slight_smile: I know it's after the 60s, but it had a really different sound :slight_smile:

11. Ryu

Ryu

I just realised that that record shop has mack the knife by louis armstrong... I love that song...

12. smokey-knows-all

go to the record store and look through the used punk 7"s. you find some cool shit in there and even if it ends up being shitty theyre $2-5

13. Ryu

Ryu

^
    Y'know not everywhere has recored stores... We just so happen to be lucky as we have them...