1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dissidia: Final Fantasy

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Wander, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Oh god, I about died when I popped the UMD in, but it's...incredible.

Dissidia is a crossover fighting game that includes every Final Fantasy game from 1-12, on the PSP. It's Japan-only right now, and it was just released today, but I managed to snag a copy. That's where my sig comes from, for those who don't know. They're the ten playable heroes minus Shantotto.

Also, Kefka is hilarious. He skips and springs when he walks. And I'm now confident that Shigeru Chiba is the ONLY person who could have voiced him correctly.

2. crystaltriforce

realy? because i can see someone like mark hamel as Kefka.

by the way, how in the hell did you get a copy of dissidia already? it just came out today.

3. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    'Tis a secret, but I can tell you that it is awesome. I've finished the story modes for Tidus, Cecil, and Cloud so far, and unlocked Golbez, Kefka, and Sephiroth.

Kefka spanks himself during his battle entrance.

Golbez glides above the ground instead of walking.

All Exdeath CAN do is walk. Seriously, he can't run.

One of Sephiroth's attacks is the downward stab he used to kill you-know-who.

Esper Terra can fly, but it's not very fast.

Cecil can switch back and forth between Dark Knight and Paladin by doing certain attacks in the air (switch to Paladin) or on the ground (switch to Dark Knight).

And Kefka makes springy noises when he walks.

4. crystaltriforce

supposedly Exdeath can be invincible if you play as him the right way.
    but yeah i want to play as bartz, kefka, and onion knight. they seem the most interesting characters.

5. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Most of Exdeath's moves are simply counterattacks, and while you can bait people into sending attacks your way and then reflecting them, smart computers will eventually quit. And seriously, he's slooooow. As in, Tidus or Squall could run around the stage five times before he could walk from one end to the other.

Bartz is pretty fast, but he can take some getting used to. His EX Burst opens with chocobo prints running across the screen with squeaking noises - a nice throwback to Boko.

Kefka...just look at my avatar. I love him, he's insane. He has a lot of long-range homing attacks that can start a chain from across the stage, but he also falls faster than any other character.

Onion Knight, all I know is that he's really fast but only takes away 1 or 2 Brave points per hit. His attacks are all multi-hit ones, but it takes a lot to build up his Brave. And unless you can read Japanese, understanding the menus for his EX Burst is confusing.

6. crystaltriforce

thankfully dissidia has been anounced for a U.S. release...although the only date for release i could find just says "mid-year 2009" but i'm willing to wait that long...hopefully.

7. I wish I could play as Terra.

She's soo cool!

8. crystaltriforce

i would be surprised if they didn't put in vann or bash as the hero from ff12 because they would both serve as a great conflict to gabranth because not only is he Bash's twin brother who he framed for regicide but he also killed vann's brother. and yes i do know i am a complete loser with no life.

9. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Then be surprised, because there are no other characters. No villain for Shantotto, no hero for Gabranth - that's part of why they picked semi-neutral characters to represent those two games, so they wouldn't have to make matches for them. Apparently Chaos can be selected as a CPU enemy, but not playable.

Do you have any specific questions about the game? I've only got Golbez, Kefka, Sephiroth, and Ultimecia so far, but I'm moving along pretty quickly.

10. Adrian

Adrian Guest

According to pre-release stuff it was meant to be a bit disappointing, but now it's getting really good reviews... confusing. I'm gonna buy the soundtrack anyway. Is it rehashes of previous music?

11. Tim

Tim

Shantotto isn't neutral. She's part of the Federation of Windurst. However, as the nations have the beastmen as enemies, and all the beastmen have different leaders, there's no one to put up against her, :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: However, as Windurst's primary concern are the Yagudo, I'm surprised we don't have a bird man to match her :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

On a side note: She seems to be the strongest character in the game, the FFXI boards are riddled with videos of her whooping cloud with a hit for 5k+, whoopin Sephiroth with Manafont, and whooping herself :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

12. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I wouldn't call it disappointing at all. It's everything I expected it to be and more, though you do have to level up and earn more abilities to get the full range of attacks you see in the demo videos. Each character ends up with lots of different possible attacks but only twelve slots to equip them to; everyone has a neutral, forward, and backward air Brave attack, the same three options for ground Brave attacks, and then three ground and three air HP attacks for twelve total.

On the soundtrack, yes and no. There are about as many original songs as Brawl had, meaning most of it is remixes from old games. FF1-10 each have three songs (two default, one unlockable) and FF11 and 12 each have one or two. You can choose which song plays during your fight, so it's not random like some early reviews suggested. And trust me, matches like Cecil vs Kuja in the Lifestream with Dancing Mad in the background are sights to behold.

13. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Oh my god...I'm doing Terra's story mode right now, and there's a cutscene where Kefka shows up to taunt her and Onion Knight. He mocks everything they say, sends out little explosions halfway through his sentences, and...

Oh, and now that we can record battle replays, does anyone have requests?

14. SolitaryKnight

I've put way too much time into Dissidia since I got it back in August. I think I'm close to 200 hours of playtime... and surprisingly, I do have a social life :grin:

15. Gaetan

The thing with Shantotto in FFXI is that, yes, she is on the good side. Her motives and methods are, however, usually of a less than ethical means. At one point she "accidentally" curses someone with a curse that will eventually kill them. Does she correct it immediately? No, instead, she tries to pin it on you (the player).

That's why she makes such an interesting character: she's good, but should COULD be a villain in a heartbeat.

And Dissidia is the one reason I'd ever buy a PSP right now. I want it so much. :frowning2:

16. Paragon

Paragon Guest

is fran in it?
    if shes not it sux

17. SolitaryKnight

No Fran, sorry. They put Gabranth in from XII.

18. Paragon

Paragon Guest

*pukes*
    why him and not fran, i mean, have u heard frans english voice?!!
    i would literally kill to hear nothing but her talk ALL THE TIME