1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Poll" Do existing clothing stores market to the LGBT community?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by KingCaro, Jul 30, 2015.

1. KingCaro

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Are existing clothing lines/stores doing a good job serving and marketing to the LGBT community?

2. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I don't know about that but they certainly do a horrible job of marketing to kageshiro.
    The nearest Mall has 20 womens clothing/acessory outlets and maybe 3 that I can shop in.

3. Foz

Foz Guest

Well it depends on what you want. If you want a bright tshirt with Ralphie Wiggum saying "I like men now" then probably not. If you're like me an just like colourful things, then yeah, but I don't wear what I do because I'm gay, I wear it because I like it.

4. Leifa

For shirts and pants I usually do just find in stores with a few tries and different places. For jackets, skirts, coats, dusters..etc I have to shop online because I can't find those types of things in stores that I like. So I'm not really sure if this answered your question...maybe 50/50? XD

5. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Many gay/bi men here wear Polos, Ralph Lauren, and Abercrombie and Fitch(although their hayday was 10 years ago when they released steamy catalogs with naked men) gear. I would argue that Hollister is very popular with queer men as well as other stores. Lulu Lemon is popular with the more flamboyant men for handbags and such.

6. Yosia

I don't seehow clothes are different based on LGBT+

Just wear whatever the fuck you want.

7. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just buy all my clothes from Topman and River Island. I buy things from Adidas sometimes too - like shoes, jackets or joggers. I do like my Adidas joggers.

8. Connorcode

Connorcode Guest

I was just in (a) River Island yesterday, realising that everyone but me knew about how great the clothes are there. I wondered where everyone was getting some nice clothes from.

I like to look nice – my mum says that's how she knew I was gay. Eh, I don't think there's normally a huge link between the two.

9. Foz

Foz Guest

Unless your waist can be measured with a micrometer A&F and Hollister are useless.

10. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that a better question to ask is whether or not clothing stores have clothes for gender-nonconforming people, many of which are LGBT+. In my experience, it is very difficult to find masculine-looking clothes in the women's section of most stores.

11. Anastaisa_Lynn_14

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not really, the stores I like tend to be for women who don't have a penis lol but srsly I like shopping at vs, goodies, clocks, the ritz, coach, and walmart lol, but none of them seem to carry the clothes I like in my size. I like skater skirts and dresses, long sun dresses, black leggings, and Lacey tops that go off the shoulder.

12. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    HAHAHA i had the same thought as i was reading this. i don't think it matters all that much. just as long as you're covered up.

13. RainDreamer

I don't think I have seen any of them have anything like, welcoming people of different gender identities.

14. pastadudde

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think Abercrombie and Fitch is very welcoming to gay men with all the shirtless models.

jokes aside, I don't think any particular clothing brand is specifically welcome to LGBT but none are anti-LGBT either. I'm sure the store owners / employees are smart enough to keep any prejudices (if they have any) in check in the face of a potential customer..

15. Blue787Bunny

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I agree with the people here I believe clothing brands are pretty non biased when it comes to LGBT. It would be pretty hypocritical of them to do so since some of the best designers are of course gay. But that is not to say that there aren't sales staff who are biased.

I shop at Carven (Paris) often. The sales assistants are pretty nice and would actively engage me in a conversation since they are familiar with me and I'm a pretty chatty person myself. But there is this one guy (a sales assistant) who never talks to me. He would just look and whenever I would request for an item he would just hand it to me. He still assists me but as often as I shop there he never says a word to me. He does appear straight and I don't know if he doesn't talk to me because I'm gay. He doesn't give me a look of contempt, it's just this blank stare.

The only time that someone has treated me "offensively" or out of norm was at a Givenchy store. Again a male sales assistant (he was gay ironically according to the other sales assistants). He was fired for it. I don't know if he had PMS :lol:, or it was just a bad day for him.

16. LiquidSwords

Ralph Lauren, A&F and Hollister are just gross tbh like who actually wants to be those guys from a RL advert or be like one of those Hollister models

Between Urban Outfitters and JD Sports there's not much more you need ha, skinny jeans and a big adidas jumper I'm sorted

17. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have a damn hard time finding the type of shorts I like, so I've gotta say no. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

18. acciocarrie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yeah, I second this. I usually just end up buying shirts (and shorts) from the men's section.

19. BrokenRecord

BrokenRecord Guest

I never really gave it any thought, But they sure do market to bronies, considering the amount of MLP memorabilia and trilbies they sell at places like Old Navy. Ugh. This is why I never go to department stores for my own clothes. :dry:

20. molsen7961

Maybe I'm not understanding the question but how does being part of the LGBT community make you wear different clothing? Or are we talking about transgenders? Because usually transgenders (including those that are not transsexual) will wear either male or female clothing, or both, so I don't understand how it's a problem.

#20 molsen7961, Aug 2, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2015