1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone else here still listen to vinyl?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by BrokenRecord, Aug 4, 2015.

1. BrokenRecord

BrokenRecord Guest

I have developed a liking for vinyl records from my parents, and even have a large collection of rec's myself. I was wanting to see if anyone else still likes Vinyl like I do, and to see what others still listen to. Here is my collection (excluding the ones I got from my parents' collections):

Albums

• Vices by Kick Axe (1984) Favorite Song: On The Road To Rock
    • Branigan by Laura Branigan (1982) Favorite Song: Gloria
    • Kim Wilde by Kim Wilde (1981) Favorite Song: Kids in America
    • IV by Toto (1982) Favorite Song: Africa
    • the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack (1977) Favorite Song: More Than A Woman by Tavares
    • Get Lucky by Loverboy (1981) Favorite Song: Working for the Weekend
    • Hair Of The Dog by Nazareth (1975) Favorite Song: Hair of the Dog
    • Big Bam Boom by Daryl Hall & John Oates (1984) Favorite Song: Out Of Touch
    • Self Control by Laura Branigan (1984) Favorite Song: Self Control
    • 4 by Foreigner (1981) Favorite Song: Waiting For A Girl Like You
    • Tonight I'm Yours by Rod Stewart (1981) Favorite Song: Young Turks
    • Climbing! by Mountain (1970) Favorite Song: Mississippi Queen (accidentally scratched it :tears:slight_smile:
    • Points on the Curve by Wang Chung (1983) Favorite Song: Dance Hall Days
    • Warrior by Scandal ft. Patty Smyth (1984) Favorite Song: The Warrior
    • 90125 by Yes (1983) Favorite Song: Owner of a Lonely Heart
    • Fascination! by The Human League (1982) Favorite Song: (Keep Feeling) Fascination
    • Don't Look Back by Boston (1978) Favorite Song: Don't Look Back
    • Break Out by The Pointer Sisters (1983) Favorite Song: Automatic

Singles

• Tainted Love/Where Did Our Love Go 12" Single by Soft Cell (1981) Favorite Song: Tainted Love
    • Radio Ga Ga/I Go Crazy by Queen (1984) Favorite Song: Radio Ga Ga
    • Cum On Feel The Noize/Run For Cover by Quiet Riot (1983) Favorite Song: Cum On Feel The Noize
    These are all the albums/singles I own on vinyl. I would like to know what you have (if you have any) and how you got into collecting them. :icon_bigg

2. kem

kem

I wouldn't say "still" as I wasn't alive when vinyl was the standard format for music. But I have a couple of recent releases on vinyl and a broken record player :slight_smile:

3. Acm

Acm Guest

I have lots of records, but they're mostly all Beatles records. My dad has a huge record collection so if I want something I can just borrow from him. I usually don't listen that way though, and when I want to buy new music I usually go for CDs because vinyl is expensive.

4. BrokenRecord

BrokenRecord Guest

It's not expensive if you know where to look. I have a record store at my local family-owned shopping district where I can get all of my favorite albums to collect for $1-$3. It helps that they were all mass produced albums back in the day, and only the covers suffer any wear, but it's really satisfying to find an old album that holds a song I loved from listening to on the GTA or Guitar Hero games for so little money. I just find it a great experience to get them every time. :grin:

Now if only I could finally get around to finding Kansas' Leftoverture...I'd probably be set for life then as that's my favorite album in the world.

#4 BrokenRecord, Aug 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2015
  5. dragon20

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have quite the vinyl collection. I'm by no means an audiophile or anything. At least when it comes to my stereo. For those who say vinyl is expensive, I have this to say. Yeah it is. If you wanna buy it new. Flea markets, thrift stores and half price books are your friends when it comes to building up a collection. eBay's a nice place too but only if you really want something. At least for me that is. Of course this is all my opinion :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: But yeah the short answer is yeah I listen to vinyl. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. Ryu

Ryu

Well...
    Basically I would, and will, bit I need a decent hifi, which I'm working on. To be honet it's a mess and not pretty, but it kinda works... I have a Technics CD player and an Onkyo amplifier, but at the moment my speakers are kinda awful... I have one speaker my father and I made from an old tv and my sisters wardrobe, then spray painted it black, and my other is a car speaker with a broken bass driver. They do the job until I get some decent ones, looking at wharfedale diamond 121's. Then I gotta get an actual turntable, looking at the audio technicha ATLP-120-USB, the three speed motor being it's main selling point for me. Then, finally I can actually get some records. Thankfully there's a vinyl shop in my village for no apparent reason, but who gives a damn, it's a vinyl shop!

My list of stuff to get is as follows with other stuff that I can't think of off the top of my head.
    That'll be the day (LP), Buddy Holly
    Chuck Berry is on top, chuck berry
    Here's little richard, little richard
    Rave on (Single) Buddy Holly
    Led Zeppelin IV, Led Zeppelin
    The wall, pink floyd
    Dark side of the moon, pink floyd
    In Utero, Nirvana
    Bleach, Nirvana
    Something by Muddy waters, dunno what yet
    Something by the rolling stones, dunno what yet
    Something by elvis, dunno what yet

7. ModernCat

ModernCat Guest

I would if i had one. They're back in style and artists today do make vinyl albums. I've seen lanadel rey,the xx, and even maroon5. If you go on tumblr people post pictures of them quite often. It's everywhere that it gets to the point it gets annoying.

8. Disappear

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I used to buy lots of cd's (my collection includes 200+..) but nowadays I mostly buy vinyl. I love how the sound is different from the cd's. You can hear the time and it just feels so good to listen to them. I have all albums by Madonna on cd's but the earliest ones I have on vinyl too, and the sound is really different. Of course it can be annoying to change the record all the time so I need to be in the right mood for that.

I don't buy new albums on vinyl editions though, all my vinyls I've bought used or borrowed from my parents. My favourites are Gloria Gaynor LP (from my dad!) and Hard Day's Night by The Beatles (from my mom).

I have found pretty awesome ones from flea markets, like Rick Astley and Village People. The best and the worst thing when it comes to vinyl records is, that you never know what you can find in one pile of used records. There are always some really epic kids LP's and some random stuff you've never heard of, then some russian classical music and then maybe, possibly, that special LP I've always been looking for.

9. kyoujin

I really should get a turntable. I love the gothic music of the 1980's...

I have a cassette player, which is also useful for making mix tapes of obscure songs.
    Many 90's Japanese goth/Visual bands seemed to favour the cassette format vs vinyl or CDs as well..

I should own devices for playing all three formats, as there is good music exclusive to each one...

10. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm too lazy to go to my room to go over my current list, but I love vinyl and my partner and I are hoping to expand out collection soon. I'm a total sucker for rock, metal, punk, and grunge; so I hope to work on that soon, especially with bands like Temple of the Dog that only put out one album.

Right now, I'm hoping to get my paws on Sigur Ros' "Takk" album, which is rare and super expensive (like $300US or more).

11. Formality

Yes my dad gave me his old turntable from the 80's. He has a huge collection with pretty much everything by the beatles, the rolling stones, led zeppelin, jimi hendrix, pink floyd, the who, the doors, etc.
    It's amazing. He doesn't have almost any jazz though. I have a few vinyls but they are very expensive so I can't really afford to buy all the ones I want ( -̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥᷄◞ω◟-̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥̥᷅ )

12. Sepina

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have a Vinyl by Aphex Twin (selected ambient works volume 2) its a gift from a friend of mine who works in Japan. Too bad I don't have a record player. I just hang it on the wall

13. guitar

I have a handful of vinyl but it's a pain to plug it all in. I still listen to CDs and buy them.

14. Wallace N

Wallace N Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yes, I listen to vinyl. I have an extensive vinyl collection and recently bought a new turntable and receiver. Most of my vinyl is classical, however, a lot of it opera. I get it all at used record stores and the prices are excellent. There's nothing like the sound of vinyl.

15. timo

Yes, I listen to vinyl. Haven't bought many albums in the past year though, because they're quite expensive.

Mostly indie. Also some heavier and some electronic music.

The records from my collection I like best are...
    - Foals - Try This On Your Piano 7" (released in 2006, really hard to find for less than 40€, bought a fairly cheap one on eBay)
    - Rolo Tomassi - Astraea (in a special blue glitter colour, only 100 printed)
    - Johnny Foreigner - You Thought You Saw A Shooting Star But Yr Eyes Were Blurred With Tears And That Lighthouse Can Be Pretty Deceiving With The Sky So Clear And The Sea So Calm (yes, that's the title. Also because every cover is handmade and handwritten by the band (imagine having to write this title 500 times)).
    - Crystal Castles - II (because it was the first LP I ever bought)

Apparently there's this one record by Funeral for a Friend I once bought for 12,50€, which someone now thinks they can sell for 365€. Sick. I'm almost too scared to play it again (but still gonna do it, right now).

I would paste the link to my collection page on Discogs but unfortunately that's not allowed.

#15 timo, Aug 9, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  16. Images and Words

I have a few albums, most of which are prog rock.
    • Dream Theater - Awake
    • Miroist - Curve
    • Rush - 2112
    • Styx - Killroy Was Here
    • Rush - Fly By Night
    (and many more of my Dad's that I borrow, but they're the ones I personally own.)

17. LiquidSwords

[​IMG]

One day I will start my own collection though there is definitely something cool about vinyl. Gonna start by pinching a couple Smiths records from my mum and some Beatles ones from my dad

18. wisefolly

wisefolly Guest

Here's an audio interview with Amanda Petrusich who wrote the book Do Not Sell At Any Price: The Wild, Obsessive Hunt for the World's Rarest 78 rpm Records and here's a text interview with her. Interesting, if specific, look at record collecting.

19. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I do. And in my case, it's a definite "still" since I'm old enough to remember when the LP was a dominant format.

When I got my first good audio system, I made the conscious decision to center it around a turntable. At the time (about 1993), I found CD sound quality underwhelming. (And I had a chance to hear some of the day's fairly good CD players.) CD has improved, although I still find myself preferring the LP.

---------- Post added 12th Aug 2015 at 12:48 AM ----------

78 RPM records are on my "to play with one of these days" list. I have a turntable with 78 RPM speed that appears to work, and a few records. One of these days...

#19 BMC77, Aug 12, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
  20. naim14082

naim14082 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I listen to loads of music both on cd and vinyl. I think I have over a thousand records and mostly buy them in second hand shops or online. Music seems to take on a different dimension when listening to viny and I enjoy opening the record and reading the lyrics etc