1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What lgbt charecter(s) helped you the most?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by OnceUponADream, Aug 7, 2015.

1. OnceUponADream

Out Status:
    A few people
    So many people talk about how seeing their orientation or gender identity represented in TV shows or films helped them to come to terms with who they are. Which characters did that for you?

For me the portrayals of Willow from Buffy the vampire slayer and Spencer from south of nowhere were incredibly significant but the real catalyst of my realization of my identity was from Skins. The relationship between Naomi and Emily in Skins, was incredibly important to me and it really helped me to figure out who I was.

2. Lyana

I didn't even know I was into girls when I became fascinated by "Naomily." I felt such an intense rush of heat in my belly during the locker scene... oh and the lake scene... oh and pretty much every scene.

Other than that, hm... Adele in Blue Is the Warmest Color really struck a chord within me. Oh, she was annoying and imperfect and flawed -- but maybe that's what did it, actually. She was so lost and vulnerable and not completely gay, which was refreshing, because, well, I'm bi.

3. OnceUponADream

Out Status:
    A few people
    Ohhhh ya the locker scene lol. During that scene I was like "Waaaaaiiiitttttt a second, why am I enjoying this so much?". Adele really was a great character she was so vulnerable and complex, she was a breath of fresh air.

4. BrokenRecord

BrokenRecord Guest

The LGBT character that helped me the most was one of my creation for a book I'm writing. He's a bisexual character that is unsure about himself and scared of coming out to his friends and family, especially since his best friend is extremely homophobic, and he grew up in a very conservative homestead. I wrote him when I was just beginning to come to terms with my sexuality, and writing him and his story was the very reason I had gained enough courage to come out as bisexual myself.

5. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Willow and Tara from Buffy. I didn't even know being attracted to girls was a thing until those two came into my life.

6. galaxygia

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh my god yes. I knew it was a thing (my parents made me watch Glee when I was nine) but I hadn't felt attached to it until Willow and Tara just popped into my life and I still haven't gotten over them. :slight_smile:

7. Leifa

My mom loved Buffy but when that happened she went all "Why'd they have to go and do that..." which made me kinda angry.

Anyway I don't really know... I've related to a few but I can't say they "helped" me. So not sure...

8. mallix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I think when I was finally coming to terms with my sexuality, I started watching The L Word, and I think i related to Dana a lot.
    The more shows I watched it made me feel more comfortable.
    I also watched Skins and Emily/Naomi's relationship helped me come to terms with myself as well.

I also watched South of Nowhere, and I thought Spencer's character was so strong, she was a huge inspiration.

9. DanDan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Santana Lopez

10. Ghost93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Willow and Tara from Buffy the Vampire Slayer played a huge role into coming to terms with being gay.

Before I saw that show I had only watched gay movies where the couple was miserable the whole time (cough*Brokeback Mountain*cough). Seeing the two of them develop a long-term and loving and NORMAL relationship over the course of three seasons really helped me overcome my internalized homophobia and realize that is okay to be gay.