1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scary Sci-fi

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by sunshinebi, Aug 9, 2015.

1. sunshinebi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So today I watched the movie Ex Machina. Even though it only has 4 people in the entire cast (one of which doesn't even speak) it's a great film. What really got me though was the ending. I won't spoil anything but if you've seen it then you know what I mean when I say that it's a terrifying concept. But for me personally, I'm scared of AI's and the idea of conscious machines that blend in seamlessly. I do not want those things walking around with us everyday.

Anyway, I was just wondering: what are some things from the sci-fi genre that you wouldn't want to see mankind mess with? Wether it be time travel or computer brain implants or whatever.

2. Jeffreycominout

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Reproducing humans. They could be just as dangerous as robots! :eek:

3. sunshinebi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do you mean cloning or having kids?

4. wisefolly

wisefolly Guest

Robert Charles Wilson wrote the Spin trilogy (Spin, Axis, Vortex) where an alien force interferes with Earth. The first book is the best and really just presents the consequences due to the alien's first "contact". The third book eventually reveals what this alien force is (to some extent). I didn't like the 2nd book (I think you can skip it without losing anything). The "reveal" is more about concepts than a big action-y piece.

What was really scary was the idea of an intelligent and omnipotent power doing things to us without knowing their intentions, without being able to communicate with them, without knowing anything about them at all except that they exist and seem to have some plans for us.

For what it's worth, the first book is supposed to be turned into a mini-series but haven't heard anything about it since last year.