1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Firefox question

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by ColbieMarie, Dec 26, 2008.

1. ColbieMarie

ColbieMarie Guest

So I have always prefered Firefox over internet explorer.

I currently have two laptop. My grandma bought me one in July for school and it kinda stopped working in October. But then my "dad" (who pops into my life and atttempts to buy my love once every like 4 years) gave me his, so it was just fine.

The first one, that stopped working, is apparently much better according to my brother.

Today my mom took it to the guy we got it from (my grandma payed for it, but we got it through some friend of a friend and it's actually a refurbished comp). Basically it ws full of viruses and somehow all of my virus protection stuff was turned off. He turned it back on and deleted many things. He deleted Firefox because that was the source of some of my problems and "unless you get Firefox the right way it can be problematic" (I always thought Firefox was superior to Internet Explorer and had no idea there was a way that Firefox could be problematic).

I used to Firefox and I really like that is has a spell check (I HATE when I spell things wrong and there are a few words that I can never spell right, so it's quite convenient and catches typos).

Does anyone know how I can get Firefox the right way so that it isn't problematic?

2. Bunny

Um. I never did anything special when I got FF (which totally owns IE), and I've never had issues with it (other than some crashing. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:).

3. -Michael-

The right way to get firefox.....

www.firefox.com

I've never had ANY bother with firefox.

:slight_smile:

4. Trystan

firefox is not problematic - I know lots of people that blame firefox as an escape route so they don't have to admit windows is crap and lets in viruses and other problems all by itself. Firefox is one of the most superior browsers around, probably seconded only by opera and konqueror. I hate it when people do that... just makes my mum nervous when I try to install software for her :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. Micah

If you want to be super tight - you can use "no script". It's an addon for Firefox that means no scripts (such as viruses, videos, flash animations, addons) will run without you saying so first.

The downside is that it can sometimes add a few extra clicks to watch an online movie etc.

6. ColbieMarie

ColbieMarie Guest

Thanks.
    So I talked to my mom and she is completely computer illiterate and when she talke to the computer guy the other day he said that because I have Vista I cannot have Firefox and Explorer at the same time. So how do I get Firefox without Explorer? And when I downloaded Firefox (last time before it got all virus-y)it turned off my antivirus programs apparently.

7. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

You can have Firefox and Internet Explorer installed at the same time. In fact you cannot uninstall Internet Explorer as it is an integral part of Windows Vista. So whoever told you that doesn't know what they are talking about.

If you download Firefox from the link above it will be the genuine one and will not turn off your anti-virus or whatever. However there are some dodgy downloads out there which include some malware and crap with Firefox. That's why you need to get it from Mozilla via the link above and not from some random site that turns up in a Google search.

8. Ben

Ben

I have Firefox, Internet Explorer and Chrome on my computer which runs on Vista and they all work fine. :slight_smile:

9. -Michael-

Me too.

I use explorer for my outlook college account online, becasue firefox doesn't diplay it properly
    I use chrome for some google gears extras
    and firefox just for about anything else

I've never really liked opera seeing as i'm on vista