1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBTQIA+ Characters in Mainstream Movies

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by roryoswinpond, Aug 11, 2015.

1. roryoswinpond

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    So, I was thinking today: when was the last time you saw an LGBTQIA+ character in a big movie? I'm not talking about queer-centric movies, but big, blockbuster movies (Jurassic World, The Avengers, etc.)

I've been thinking for a while now and I can genuinely think of zero blockbusters which have queer characters. Any ideas?

2. RainOnVII

There's the Mortal Instruments, which is based on a very popular YA book series--Alec, Magnus (my favorite canon pairing). I'd recommend the books more than the movie though (her series has plenty of LGBTQIA+ characters).

3. roryoswinpond

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Yeah I've heard about those! Are they making another movie from the second book?

4. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hope not. They are making a TV series, though, that I'm hopeful for.

I can't think of any off-hand but I'm painfully behind on blockbusters. The fact that there isn't a Marvel movie yet with one is a source of endless frustration as the comics have many.

5. rudysteiner

The first character that came to mind, even though already mentioned, is Alec from the MI series. I started reading the books when I first began reading and I was absolutely amazed. I only read the first two books but will have to read the next three at some point. The books are quite good, but the movie for City of Bones was absolutely awful, and I love Lily Collins too.

6. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Kamatari is queer, either gay or genderqueer, not sure. He is in Rurouni Kenshin: The Legend Ends, which was a big blockbuster in Japan and one of my favorite movies. But he doesn't play much of a role; in the manga he is much more important.

7. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Cynthia Rose from Pitch Perfect is a lesbian. (Hilarious movie)

8. BrokenRecord

BrokenRecord Guest

Dr. Frank N. Furter from the Rocky Horror Picture Show is a transvestite and a bisexual. I still have the movie on VHS!

Theodora from the 1963 movie The Haunting is hinted at being a lesbian or bisexual. The 90's remake of the movie screwed the pooch on the subtle hinting and made it absolutely obvious that she was bisexual. And it was an abysmal remake of a film that still stands the test of time, but that's another story. I also have the 1963 version on VHS!

(If you can't tell, I LOVE VHS tapes of old films.)