1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Acer Aspire One!!

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by -Michael-, Dec 27, 2008.

1. -Michael-

Okay,

I got one for Christmas. IT'S AWESOME!!!

Google it for specs, I can't be bothered to list them.
    But It's a netbook, with 120GB, runs on and stripped customized version of Limpus Linux.

At first I was a bit weary, It didn't seem too stable even running "Live update" had its' problems the first time around.
    But as soon as I installed a good 20-30 patches...FINE!

Before getting it I basically planned to install ubuntu pretty much as soon as it was out of the box.
    But there's no need.

I'd easily recommend it for college or university lectures and quick studying.
    It has the basic open office suite (Writer, Spreadsheet, Slideshow) has some really addictive games if one is bored. A nice all-in-one memory card reader.

I love it.
    It only take about 10-15 seconds boot up.
    So now it's literally under my arm, or in my bag for everywhere I go.

HOWEVER, even though it's linux it's NOTHING like ubuntu, kubuntu.
    Customizing it is virtually impossible, and you're stuck with you 'Desktop' of 4 segments (Connect, Work, Fun, FIles) but I did read somewhere that it is somehow possible to get a 'real' dekstop and there was certainly no way of opening up a terminal, however once again...I'e read it is possible (But i think the reviewer or whoever was running a BETA version of the OS).

Once again....HOWEVER! On the Aspire One website theres is a link to download some new software, such as upgrading firefox to firefox 3.0.3 skype is avalible for download which is aweomse due to the excellent built in camera and mic, theres GIMP availibe to download which i loved and a few quirky games. :slight_smile:

I'd thought I'd share the AWESOMENESS of the ACER ASPIRE ONE!!!

....now i'm hungry.

Oh, it has a full sized keyboard too. :slight_smile:

(I swears acer did not pay me to do this....)xD

2. Trystan

sounds pretty cool :grin:
    are you sure control alt T doesn't work? That worked on the Xandros version on their previous Eeepcs. Apparently there's a button to switch to a full desktop, but obviously you can do whatever once you've found the terminal.

I think it uses xfce4.4 as display manager... if that helps. But you probably already knew that :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Glad to see Linux is slowly overtaking the world :grin:

3. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Michael, get the January edition of Linux Format magazine. There's a free booklet with it about using and customising the Aspire One.

In fact if you PM me your address I'll put the booklet in the post to you as I don't need it. :thumbsup:

4. -Michael-

oh waits!

Hahaha I's found the terminal....
    It was the first place I looked. :')

I just took some websites word for it....
    :')

Oh, life just got so much easier. :')
    Yey me!!

#4 -Michael-, Dec 27, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2008
  5. -Michael-

Yeah alt T didn't work. So I just opened up the Acers Run function and whacked in terminal.

And I forgot about Xfce!
    It's fine now. :slight_smile:
    All nice and MINE!!!
    MUHUAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA