1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Computer Help :/

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by MusicIsLife, Dec 27, 2008.

1. MusicIsLife

My brothers and I are hatching a plan to get my mom a new desktop computer for mother's day. Now, initially[sp?] we were thinking to get my mom an iMac, but shes completely computer illiterate, so it'd be really tough for her to make the switch from PC to mac.

So should we get her a new PC instead with windows XP, or get an iMac?

Ps. Yes, I know it's ten times more expensive for getting an iMac, but money isnt an issue for this.

2. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

iMac is really easy to use...and you can't buy acomputer with windows XP anymore :frowning2: .

3. Urman

Urman Guest

dell's are very reliable

4. aslan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    They aren't that hard to get used to, and macs are much easier to use in the long run. They have a much more user friendly operating system, last longer than pcs and basically dont go wrong as much. What does she currently use computers for?

5. MusicIsLife

She uses them mostly for checking emails and family pictures and stuff, which would make getting her a mac really obvious. I agree that they're easier to use, as i have a Macbook, thats prolly what im gonna do.

Thanks Guys!

6. Derek the Wolf

Disregard that statement. Dell computers are cheaply built. They cut corners wherever they can and their machines suffer as a result. Vista machines are going to be buggy and frustrating.

I recommend an Apple Computer, like the iMac.

7. starfish

How comfortable are you using a Mac? If you get her one she will call you every time there is a problem so be prepared for that.

8. tm74

tm74 Guest

Yeah, if you're a mac user, get her one too - as you'll be explaining what to do - as a PC user, I can't help people on a mac - and as you'll be the first port of call for "tech support", you need to be able to help her.

So, if you're happy with macs, get her a mac.

9. GuitarGirl1350

I use a mac daily. I use a pc daily. Which do i find to be the superior operating system?

Depends on your needs.

I prefer PC. I run Windows Vista Basic at home and Mac OSX at school. It's not that Mac sucks or anything, it's just that I prefer PCs. Now, that said, hardware is an entire other issue.

With Mac, you only get Mac hardware. With Windows, you have a variety. This is where shit really matters. A cheap, shitty computer company like Dell or Lenovo will produce a buggy, shittified system no matter what the OS. A high-name maker like HP will produce a sturdier, nice machine. Dell computer: 600 dollars. HP Computer w/ the same specs: 875 dollars. You just get a better machine. So it comes down to whether you want to do all this comparing and that, or buy her a mac.

10. blakeo82

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Admittingly I am a mac user, but I do have a windows machine, which I don't like much.

I recently purchased a Mac mini for a 74 yr old grandmother who has used windows since windows 98. She was never well versed in windows but could get around. I took her to the store, showed her Vista and showed her Leopard. She opted for the Mac, knowing that she knew nothing about it.

7 months later, for the first time, shes scanning pictures on her own, organizing photo albums, publishing them to a website and enjoying her computing experience. She recently started using her digital camera again because it was easy for her to offload where before with her xp machine, she had troubles. She loves uses mail's stationary with the drag and drop interface, and expose you ask? for the first time she's using more than one application at a time and expose makes it easy for her to find her windows and so forth.

I have piece of mind because she is totally figuring it out all on her own and really enjoys it. Also, with Time Machine, I know her data will always be safe and she doesn't need to worry about running a backup routine - something I never could get her to do before on windows. Time Machine does it for her.

My grandmother wasn't interested in features, because I think windows beats Mac features to feature, but she was interested in implementation of features and ease of use, an area I think many would agree, Apple just does a better job.

11. N3p7uN3

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    www.ibuypower.com

Great prices, and customization is available on practically every part of the computer.

Plus, Windows XP Home and Professional are STILL AVALIABLE!

In my opinion, windows is much better because the functionality outperforms Mac. I mean, when's the last time you heard of a free-lance programmer for Mac, or for that matter, any open-source projects for Macs? Macs are just for people who don't really care about figuring out how a computer works. They want everything done for them, henceforth become a slave to the company, unable to develop their own programs. Windows' make much more sense to me than a Mac will. It probably will take a little more time to understand it, but you will come to appreciate its functionality and adaptability over Mac's simplicity and overall grounded atmosphere.

#11 N3p7uN3, Dec 31, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
  12. N3p7uN3

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Why not just look at your task-bar, and click on which window you want opened....

OH WAIT, Macs don't have task-bars.

13. Techcompu2

go with windows if that is what she knows how to use. macs my be better, but jumping from one to another is a big step trust me.