1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Paper Towns

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Rainbow Girl, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Rainbow Girl

Has anyone seen Paper Towns yet? It's one of my all time favourite books and was so excited for months for the movie to come out and it did not disappoint! Any other fans of the book/movie on here?

2. rudysteiner

I've read Looking For Alaska, The Fault in Our Stars and Paper Towns by John Green. I read them when I first began reading because a friend convinced me to read them. I have to say, though, Looking for Alaska is my favourite John Green book. Even though I did enjoy Paper Towns thoroughly, I can hardly remember anything about it except the Walt Whitman part and the opening of the novel with the man. I can remember everything about Looking for Alaska, every single detail, and to me, PT was nothing compared to that.

As for the Paper Towns film, I will most definitely watch it because I was looking forward to the movie from the moment I finished the book, but I'm not too excited about seeing it to be honest. The image I have in my head of what Margo looks like, and what she looks like in the film (Cara Delevingne) are nothing alike, and I think that is probably the only reason I'm not too excited for the film along with Nat Wolff playing Q - I will always see him as Isaac from TFIOS. I absolutely cannot wait for the LFA movie though which is out in 2016 I think, if they're still going ahead with it.

3. Rainbow Girl

I was originally skeptical about the casting too but I was impressed with the result in the movie. And yeah, I'm excited for Looking for Alaska too. It's most of the same production team as The Fault in Our Stars and Paper Towns. They're hoping to release it in June 2016. John Green is actually my favourite author. :slight_smile:

4. rudysteiner

John used to be my favourite author too, and I still need to read 'An Abundance of Catherines' too, but Khaled Hosseini is my favourite author now. I've got all of his books on my shelf and just need to read his last one. He's a great choice if you're interested in Afghanistan/Pakistan and those areas.
    On the subject of John Green though, have you read 'Will Grayson, Will Grayson'? I bought it months ago, tried to read it and I gave up after about two chapters and gave it to my cousin for Christmas.

5. queermeerkat

queermeerkat Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I started out with TFIOS, before it even became a movie, I didn't know what the hell it was, I just saw it, liked the description and bought it. The damn book changed me, I then spent the next year watching every vlogbrothers video and read LFA and Paper Towns, I think Cara Delevinge Is PERFECT as Margo, same with Shailene Woodly as Hazel Grace. I can't wait for Looking For Alaska to be a movie, that book caught me hook, line and sinker then ripped out my heart, stomped on it and made me wish to be able to experience it all over again after I finished.

6. rudysteiner

I started with LFA and I was the same as you. I think Shailene was perfect as Hazel Grace, but IMO, Cara not so much with Margo. I just didn't see it coming that it would be her.

With LFA, as soon as Alaska was introduced, I was absolutely hooked on her. I think Kaya Scodelario would make an amazing Alaska, too. I love the quote, I think it was her that said it, actually, about the invincibility of teenagers:

“When adults say, "Teenagers think they are invincible" with that sly, stupid smile on their faces, they don't know how right they are. We need never be hopeless, because we can never be irreparably broken. We think that we are invincible because we are. We cannot be born, and we cannot die. Like all energy, we can only change shapes and sizes and manifestations. They forget that when they get old. They get scared of losing and failing. But that part of us greater than the sum of our parts cannot begin and cannot end, and so it cannot fail.”

When I was reading at, at about 14, I just completely dismissed it and didn't think anything of it, but three short years later and I'm like :tears:

7. galaxygia

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Read Paper Towns after I saw the movie trailer when watching Pitch Perfect 2. I love the book and I love Cara Delevingne as Margo (I'd actually forgotten that Nat Wolff played Isaac so it didn't affect me much) I just wish the plot followed the book better, especially at the ending. They also screwed up the timeline of the story, but I still liked the movie. :slight_smile:

8. Rainbow Girl

I've been reading An Abundance of Katherines offed on all summer. I'm enjoying it but since I own my copy I've sometimes stopped to read library books that I've come up on the wait list for while I have them. I read the beginning of Will Grayson, Will Grayson once up it was at a time that where it was one of five library books I had out at the same time so something had to go back and that one was it. I'll probably come back to it some time but I'm not in a huge hurry.