1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has anyone read any of these books?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by rudysteiner, Aug 12, 2015.

1. rudysteiner

Hey everyone,

I'm coming to the end of the first HP book now, about 50 or so pages to go, and about the same give or take a few with Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami (amazing book - everyone should read it!) So I'm looking for a book to read out of these three that I already have on my shelf, can anyone help me pick one? Or recommend something similar.

Here we go:

'The Magician', by Raymond E. Feist:

'The world has changed even before I discovered the foreign ship wrecked on the shore below Crydee Castle, but it was the harbinger of the chaos and death that was coming to our door.

War had come to the Kingdom of the Isles, and in the years that followed it would scatter my friends across the world. I longed to train as a warrior and fight alongside our duke like my foster brother, but when the time came, I was not offered that choice. My fate would be shaped by other forces.

My name is Pug. I was once an orphaned kitchen boy, with no family and no prospects, but I am destined to become a master magician...'

'And the Mountains Echoed', by Khaled Hosseini:

'Ten-year-old Abdullah would do anything for his younger sister. In a life of poverty and struggle, with no mother to care for them, Pari is the only person who brings Abdullah happiness. For her, he will trade his only pair of shoes to give her a feather for her treasured collection. When their father sets off with Pari across the desert to Kabul in search of work, Abdullah is determined not to be separated from her. Neither brother nor sister know what this fateful journey will bring them.'

or

'Tess of the D'Urbervilles', by Thomas Hardy:

'When Tess Durbeyfield is driven by family poverty to claim kinship with the wealthy D'Urbervilles and seek a portion of their family fortune, meeting her 'cousin' Alec proves to be her downfall. A very different man, Angel Clare, seems to offer her love and salvation, but Tess must choose where to reveal her past or remain silent in the hope of a peaceful future. With its harrowing depiction of the wronged Tess and with its powerful criticism of social convention, Tess of the D'Urbervilles is one of the most moving and poetic of Hardy's novels.'

I have attached the blurb from the back of each book, too.

Can anyone help me decide?

Thank you for any replies,

J.

2. dt85

dt85 Guest

Of those three, the only one I have read is The Magician, which is the first book in the sprawling Riftwar Saga. I read several books in that series years ago, and I remember enjoying them immensely. If you like high fantasy (think more Lord of the Rings than Harry Potter) I would give The Magician a read.

3. rudysteiner

Thanks! I was leaning towards that one. I've never read anything as long as that though. The longest book I've read is The Book Thief by Markus Zusack, which is 550 pages give or take. Amazing book though.

4. dt85

dt85 Guest

It may be rather long, but it's an easy and fun read. If you're already reading Murakami, I'm sure you'll blaze through The Magician.

I actually have a copy of Norwegian Wood that I meant to read over the summer, but I got caught up in other books. Now I'm heading back to college where I'll be studying Shakespeare and Medieval British literature.

5. rudysteiner

If it's easier to read than Murakami, I should be finished within a week.

Norwegian Wood is an absolutely amazing novel. You should read it when you have the time. I feel as if I'm living vicariously through Midori. I'm in love with her. Probably with Toru, too. I think the next Murakami book I'll be reading is 'South of the Border, West of the Sun' but that probably won't be for a short while. I get too lost in NW. I think I'll cry when I've finished it because that'll be the end of it. It's one of the easiest books I've ever read.

I love Shakespeare, I've got a little bit of a soft spot for him. I used to get quite excited when it came to studying him in English Lit - everyone used to look at me like :eek:.