1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone drifted from rock music to pop? or something else?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by luke564, Aug 12, 2015.

1. luke564

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
  2. rudysteiner

I went from mainstream to rock, to country, to nothing. I've developed my own taste now but I'm still a hardcore Johnny Cash fan. I have a huge poster of him above my bed, is that weird? I do go through phases of different music tastes from time to time, too. If I hear something that I really like then I'll listen to it for days on end. This is the sole song I've been listening to for a week or two now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFzTY5b-Uzs

Usually though, as a generalisation, I love:

Ben Howard, Birdy, Sam Smith, Daughter, The Kooks, Johnny Cash, Kings of Leon, Frances. That sort of thing.

3. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not permanently. My taste in music stays consistent but what I want to listen to at any given time changes. In the summer I listen to more country; in the winter more rock. I've been through phases where I would listen to nothing but Fall Out Boy.

4. luke564

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    That's really interesting jr98 - what you said kinda makes sense, but actually the track you linked to was really different and unexpected!

5. rudysteiner

Yeah, I also love and know the words to this song, I'm not Spanish and not a fluent speaker either:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0lgxrgLPzI

My taste in music is an acquired one.

6. luke564

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Well it sounds like you are comfortable about that, for me this is a strange learning process - because I always used to be very one-track minded about music, and I'm not really sure what changed, or how it's changing...

7. Ryu

Ryu

I suppose it's been the other way around for me. When I was anything less than 9 I would listen to the 'norm', because you don't really have a personality before about ten in my opinion. Then getting older and into my teens my music taste has gotten heavier.
    As an example: when I was 6-8 my favorite bands/solo artists were robby william and the Saturdays, britney spears and the black eyed peas (I'm just naming cheesy 00's bands that come into my head, but they sound plausable to be my favorites of the time.). Now some of my favorite bands are queens of the stone age, Rammstein, Led Zeppelin, Nirvana, the black keys and old blues stuff.

#7 Ryu, Aug 12, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
  8. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

My taste in music has changed so much over the years. I used to like pop. Then I had that middle-schooly phase of "pop is horrible, old music is the best!" so I started listening to jazz and swing and blues.
    Then my dad got me into classic rock because he always listens to it. I really liked the Rolling Stones. Although lately I've come back to pop and alternative.

9. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Other way around for me. When I was small I listened to pop since that's what was around. Nowadays I'm getting into Classic Rock and Heavy Metal and I wouldn't touch most pop with a 30ft pole.

10. Ryu

Ryu

^
    *high five*

11. rudysteiner

One thing that hasn't changed in my music taste at all is classic rock. I grew up listening to it because my Mum loved it and still does. I think our music tastes are built upon our parent's tastes in music even though it might take a few years to realise. I'll be in my room listening to it and my Mum will walk in to give me something and she'll be singing the song as she walks out. It's what she's always done, too.

12. BrokenRecord

BrokenRecord Guest

I'm yet another one who says it worked vice-versa for me. I used to only be into video game music when I was younger, before I was old enough to play games like Grand Theft Auto and Guitar hero/Rock Band. I learned about tons of great music from them, especially older rock and pop. Some of my favorite songs come from those game series, though I also started getting into the music I'd hear from my favorite movies, like Scarface and the 1986 Transformers film.

13. luke564

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Wow I can't believe this response, it's actually left me feeling really confused as to what's going on with me - I used to love rock and indie, I was brought up on it (I used to play in a band!) - but I've started having doubts, feeling like I was influenced and brought up to like it rather than it be my own actual passion, I used to criticise other genres of music without knowing about them or listening to them - obviously I'm in the minority here, but I've just started to find it so liberating to listen to other types of music, pop, edm etc - it's scary as hell and feels weird exploring stuff my brain used to tell me to hate but I guess its quickly become a guilty pleasure for me in a weird way - i guess living on my own and being able to listen to anything in private kinda helps also.

14. Cedar

I just listen to whatever I like, I try not to stay in one or two different genres of music though. That sounds a little boring once you think about it.

15. Paisley

I used to listen to a lot of rock, punk and generally rebellious middle schooler things. Since then though I've become fluid and just listen to what I like regardless of genre. Be it country, rock, j-pop, jazz, rap, Gregorian chants. If I like the way it sounds I like it.

16. RainOnVII

I still listen to rock/metal/soundtrack/foreign, but now I also listen to pop rock...does pop rock count as something else?

17. DinelodiiGitli

I didn't drift really I just listen to all types of music.
    Pop, rock, metal, folk, country (*le gasp*), nightcore, dubstep, EDM, rap, classical, I ain't picky.

18. guitar

I've been firmly rock/metal for 20 years. I can stand some pop and other styles, but I don't see my love of the guitar dying anytime soon.

19. Justinian20

Well I have drifted from pop to rap then to electronic, but for me I would say the time period drifted from the 80s as a kid to the mid 90s to mid 2000s as a teen and young adult, (for mainstream music) my obscure music isnt from a specific period.

In terms of genre I listen to a wide variety from Asmodelle to Britney Spears.

20. Florestan

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I drift all over the place. I'll always have a place for classical no matter what mood I'm in. Other than that, I listened to electronic for a while, then moved to goth, then to rock in general. I'll listen to other random things when the moment calls for it, but there's too much to list.