1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any tips on reading a book that you can't grasp?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by rudysteiner, Aug 13, 2015.

1. rudysteiner

Hey everyone,

Does anyone have any tips on how to read a book that you can't get into?

I've got to read 'A Streetcar Named Desire' by Tennessee Williams (It's a play, I know), 'Heart of Darkness' by Joseph Conrad, and 'David Copperfield' by Charles Dickens for Lit starting in September and I can't get into any of them.

I have read about 100 or so pages of David Copperfield I think, when I first bought it, but put it down to read something else and lost interest in it.

Anyone?

2. kyoujin

Don't read it?

I don't know, I only read what I like.

This is why I wish the school system dead. No freedom to learn whatever you want.

#2 kyoujin, Aug 13, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  3. rudysteiner

I wish I had the choice not to read them :bang: I'm about to watch the movie for A Streetcar Named Desire right now. Even if it's only to dribble over Marlon Brando.

4. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

SparkNotes.com is a good start.

5. GarbageKnight

Kaiser raises a good point! Sparknotes is good if you don't get it or just really cannot get into something.

I always preferred to at least read MOST of what I was forced to read for school, so I started either listening to audiobooks of the thing or reading it in a funny voice in my head. The more I got into my silly voices the easier it became for me to pretend I was interested in it long enough to read enough to be cool in class!

6. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I usually love reading, but The Old Man and the Sea was Atrocious with a capital a. The worst part was I had to do an entire PowerPoint on the thing. My solution? It was so boring, I gave up half ways through, skimmed cliff notes, and talked in circles on my presi, you know, that stuff teachers like to hear. Usually, I hate the thought of faking projects and I do my best to put in genuine work, but this book was horrible.

7. wisefolly

wisefolly Guest

Audio is a good idea but with DC it's 30+ hours...

Since you'll have to read them one way or another (full text or notes) at least you have this lead time to get them over with. It'll make it easier the second time around for notes or whatever since you'll only have to revisit the important parts. There's not a lot to spark interest where there's none to begin with. You got pretty far before giving up, hope you won't have to re-read those 100 pages.

At least ASND and HoD are short.

8. Gen

Gen

Looking up the audiobooks is a good idea. I am positive that all of those can be found somewhere on Youtube.

I strongly recommend reading those. Sparknotes is worthwhile if you don't have time to do required reading, but each of those works/authors are well regarded and you will be grateful for knowing what people are talking about when these works are referenced in university or whenever.

9. Winter Maiden

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Step 1: Put it down.
    Step 2: Do something else.

My two step process is bulletproof.

10. MindvsHeart

MindvsHeart Guest

Tips that were really helpful for me were:
    -Sparknotes
    -Check if there's been adaptations of the books to film or play just so you could get a visual and maybe see it in a different a way.

11. Berru

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Try and take it in smaller bits. Find something to use as a bookmark, and put the book down when you're starting to feel like you can't focus, take a break, and return to the book later.

12. rudysteiner

When I did start reading DC, I absolutely loved it. I was in town (city centre if you're not from the UK??) one day a few days after reading it and walked into Waterstones to look for HoD, bought that and Jekyll & Hyde too. I'd always wanted to read J&H so started strtaight away and forgot about the book I was reading originally.

I'm literally half way through ASND now. The image of Marlon Brando is getting me through it. I love books with a lot of dialogue though, more often than not, when I'm reading a novel, I'll skim the descriptives and really get into the dialogue, unless it's narrated by one of the main characters and not just a narrator per se.

I cannot for the life of me get past the first few pages of HoD. I've looked up audiobooks on YouTube too, but they make it even worse for me.

Does anyone know if there's a movie for Heart of Darkness or David Copperfield?

Thanks everyone!

13. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree that audiobooks are helpful. I prefer to read along as I'm listening, so that I know where the texts are in relation to each other, making quoting easier. Taking notes as you go (despite being very bland and laborious) really does help you understand and lock in the information that you're reading, especially if you're someone who forgets small details easily. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Whenever we covered Shakespeare in English class, I would look up summaries and recaps or rewordings of all the acts. And of course, you can find lots of online lessons and videos discussing chapters and content of just about any school-issued reading.

14. Berru

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    There is for David Copperfield, I've seen it once on some random TV-channel.
    I found one in imdb that seems to fit the description of the one I saw, but I don't know if that's it.

Link: David Copperfield (TV Movie 2000) - IMDb

15. rudysteiner

Is it the one with Daniel Radcliffe you saw? The 1999 version?

16. Berru

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    This one I linked is from 2000 and I don't see Daniel Radcliffe in the imdb page, but the one I saw was with him, yes. I think it might be a mini-series.

17. wisefolly

wisefolly Guest

Yeah, getting distracted from a have-to-read by a want-to-read can be a battle. Like Berru said, try for manageable bits. With DC if you can manage 2 chapters a day you'll be done in a month (well, minus whatever you've read so far).

Plays are always relatively short reads since they're mostly dialogue. Not that you need any more distractions but the novel Tales of the City by Armistead Maupin is mostly dialogue (fun, witty, quip worthy dialogue at that, with lots of double entendres) and it's been called 'Dickensian'.

HoD... I remember having to slog through it. Even though its short it felt like it took forever, like the worst road trip ever, except on a river. There's a couple of straight adaptations of the book, a filmed play from 1958 and a movie version from 1993. Haven't seen either, but I did see a version of the book in Apocalypse Now which is a very loose adaptation of the book. You can pick from the 2.5 hour or 3.25 hour versions.

There's also a radio adaptation by Orson Welles from 1938 which you can find on YouTube here cut up in chunks or you can download the mp3 from here. It's an hour long but all dialogue!

Tons of DC adaptations, I only ever saw the 1935 version.

Don't rely on adaptations too much though, for me they're only fun in seeing how much they leave in or out or what they change.

To note, I could never finish J&H. The two times I tried I just lost the willpower to go on when it hits that final, tell-all letter. No idea why. I loved DC (even if it did go on and on at parts), much more than Oliver Twist. (Oliver never DID anything, everything happened TO him! Bleh.)

#17 wisefolly, Aug 14, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2015
  18. rudysteiner

I've got less than 50 pages left of ASND now, so I'm going to finish that in a minute. When I've finished that, I'll make a start on finishing David Copperfield. I'm also pacing myself through 'The Magician' by Raymond E. Feist as that's quite a long book too. I picked up 'South of the Border, West of the Sun' today as well and I started reading that straight away. I can't read prescribed texts without having distractions.

I had a teacher for AS English Language last year who I was talking to once, and he said that he was reading eight books at the same time. I would faint! The highest number of books I've read at the same time is three and that's right now. :lol:

19. wisefolly

wisefolly Guest

Your non-prescribed books sound interesting, but as I'm juggling multiple books too (more than three but less than eight) I can't afford to look at any others before finishing a few more.

And I always had to have distraction reads during school because otherwise I would have gone out of my mind.

20. rudysteiner

I think I'm lucky that I bought a load of books quite a while ago that I knew I wouldn't be interested in straight away. I've read about 1/3 to 1/2 of my book shelf I think.

I had to put down The Magician last night, it feels like more of a winter read to me. Something I can't read in the summer. I finished ASND last night and thought it was great. I'm just a few pages short of halfway through South of the Border, West of the Sun now and should be finished by tomorrow night at the latest.
    I still need to pick up The Chamber of Secrets too, to add to my collection. They didn't have it in yesterday which is why I bought the book I'm reading now. I think this is the longest period in which I've read consistently, actually. This is book number five. I started with The Book Thief by Markus Zusack, went onto Still Alice by Lisa Genova, to Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami, then Harry Potter & the Philosopher's Stone and now South of the Border [...] by Murakami. Onto HoD soon and then I'll pick another book from the shelf.